PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55 broken handle

dolang1
04-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I broke the handle off of my lyman 55 powder measure. I've glued it 4 times with JB Weld, that crap that is advertised that will pull a truck, and a product called " the last glue you will ever buy". Needless to say they all failed eventually. My question is, Can it be brazed? I can weld but this is cast and is very close to brass. I can buy another one, but this little measure and I have been together for a while and I would like to save it no matter how ugly it gets. Any advice would be appreciated. Later Don

dolang1
04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I won two more 55s on ebay, but I would still like to fix the original if anyone has any advice on soldering or brazing I would appreciate it. Later Don

Green Frog
04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
The 55 is still in production and I would be very surprised if they don't have replacement parts available. Give them a call and ask, you'll probably find it to be more satisfactory than patching the old one back together.

Froggie

Flash
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Yea, you can braze it. Tractor Supply should have brazing rods that will work. I used JB Weld on mine with extra hardner and I couldn't break it if I tried. I dropped mine on the walk and the handle broke. Out came the JB Weld and it worked good enough to service me for 4 years before I sold it.

dolang1
04-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. If my brazing doesn't work I'll try the JB weld.

Lyman said that they would have to replace it in house since it is connected to the inside part that turns. Thanks again. Later Don

monadnock#5
04-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Chamfer the parts on both sides of the break. It makes extra area for the weld to hold onto. If you go with the JB, butter the break and chamfered area and stick them together until set. Once cured, butter up as big an area as you care to go, and then press some fiberglass tape (an automotive or electrical item) into the goo. The vinyl screening for window screens would work well too. Make sure the strengthener is well saturated and covered to the point that the area looks smooth. Once set, it won't ever break in the same place again.

mikenbarb
04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Grind the crack into a v groove and find someone with a small mig welder or silver solder it. Silver solder is alot stronger than bronze rod and it will hold up better. Mig welding it is the way to go.

mister gizmo
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
And if none of that works, I have a 55 without the powder reservoir and cap that you can have for the cost of getting it to you. Needs a little TLC, but it's workable. Lemme know.

gizmo.

Bret4207
04-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Broke mine too. Brazed it 20 years ago and it's still working fine.

Rockchucker
04-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I broke the handle off of my lyman 55 powder measure. I've glued it 4 times with JB Weld, that crap that is advertised that will pull a truck, and a product called " the last glue you will ever buy". Needless to say they all failed eventually. My question is, Can it be brazed? I can weld but this is cast and is very close to brass. I can buy another one, but this little measure and I have been together for a while and I would like to save it no matter how ugly it gets. Any advice would be appreciated. Later Don

Send the handles to me and I'll either braze it or mig it for you, not a problem.

Pay the shipping both ways and I'll do it for free.

Ron

dolang1
04-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I bought two on ebay, so I'm back in business. Thanks for the offers. The guys on this forum make me beleive that there are still some really good people out there. I'll try to keep up your good work. Later Don