PDA

View Full Version : lyman 4500

dockedwages
04-01-2009, 09:23 PM
bought a lyman 4500 with heater and could not get to work rt even after 1 hour heating. bbought som bac lubeput it in ran a little stiff n put holagen lt on to warm it up. went to apply slight pressure and the rod pulled rt through the base. what crap. am calling lyman in the morning.

if i wasent laid off idwould have spent the money 4 a star. so far my old lyman 45 was by far superior to the new

\
brian

over the hill gang
04-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Man I hope I don't have any problems with mine I just bought (4500 w/Heater). Mine has a heater tube that goes in the back of the base where it is hollowed out and some I have seen have a heater pack that clips on the side. I'll be trying mine in a few days and will post the results.

Ron B.
04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
You must have a bad heater. Did you check to make sure you had juice to your outlet?

I bought the 4500 (charcoil gray) with insertable heating element; and really like it. In fact, mine gets so warm I must disconnect it periodically to keep the lube from over-heating.

Did you know Lyman is the only company making a stock 50 caliber die for their luber? I own a Saeco and could not believe Saeco doesn't make one. There are companies, like Buffalo Arms which will custom make dies for the Saeco; but when contacted regarding one for my 50-70 bullets didn't have any in stock. So, I was kind of forced to buy the Lyman; so I told my wife. :)

Good luck!
GRB

Cherokee
04-02-2009, 01:23 PM
My 4500 with heater in the base works fine.

over the hill gang
04-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I couldn't wait anylonger and had to try it this evening, worked great with no problems I used the red lube for higher temps from Buffalo arms with out a hitch. I hate to say it Dock but Me thinks ya got a bad one. Oh forgot to mention I have the 220 volt one, not sure if that would make a difference or not.

dockedwages
04-03-2009, 02:21 AM
110 volt here
cool basement
hav eheard the same thing has happened before

the casting is really thin there to retain rod.

am going to try heater little with bac in cool basement when it gets back

carpetman
04-03-2009, 02:31 AM
over the hill gang from Beaver Falls are you possibly Joe Namath?