PDA

View Full Version : lee loader question

eli
04-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I am wondering if I take rifle brass fired in other rifles and, using a mild load with a bullet or C. of W. or wad, fire-form it safely? I realize all previously fired brass might not chamber after neck-sizing but I'm thinking those that do should be ok.

I don't have regular sizer dies for all my bolt-action milsurp rifles and Lee Loaders are my budget priority for these calibers.

Cheers

04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Lots of variables, but I would guess it would work in most cases (pun). Various chamber sizes vs yours.

Gerry N.
04-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Given two rifles "A" and "B" of the same caliber, and a case fired in rifle "A" chambers in rifle "B" before neck sizing I see no reason it won't work in both rifles after neck sizing since the only thing changed was to reduce the neck diameter a few thousandths.

I had a K98k and a VZ24 which would both freely accept unsized brass fired in the other. I neck sized when loading for both rifles and never experienced any problems.

I have a Ruger #1 in .308 Win. and a Chilean M12/61 Mauser in 7.62 NATO. The Mauser will accept fired brass from the #1, but the #1 offers moderate resistance to brass from the Mauser. I don't separate the brass from either and neck size only. Again no problems except for having to press the lever closed on the #1 with a slight effort. Accuracy is unchanged from loads from each rifle's own brass or full length sized brass.

My conclusion is that each handloader's situation should be taken as it comes.

Gerry N.

TAWILDCATT
04-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I would think that Lee dies would not cost as much as lee loader by far.I know they dont.sooner or later you will have to full length resize.if you could aford the ruger you are wasting your time being cheap on a press and dies.I have most all presses,lee,Rcbs,herter,bonanza,lyman,MB.never got hornady or redding.all tho I have there dies and tools. :coffee:[smilie=1:

1hole
04-17-2009, 12:04 PM
"I'm thinking those that do should be ok.:"

You are correct.

Willbird
04-17-2009, 12:18 PM
One thing to watch out for with just neck sizing is what the BR boys call a "tight" bolt handle. This accelerates wear on a bolt action a LOT if it has to cam closed against resistance from a case that needs it's shoulder bumped.

Case can be used a long time with very mild loads. But just be aware that if they get tougher to chamber they are using up your rifle and it is worth finding a way to get the shoulder bumped on those cases.

The Lee RGB does are cheaper than buying a Lee loader and paying top dollar.

I do not doubt that if a guy had 10 Lee loaders and no press and dies, he could sell the Lee loaders for enough on evilbay to buy a decent Lee press and RGB dies for all 10 calibers.

Bill

eli
04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Bill, Thanks for the reminder about tight bolts and shoulder set. I'm personally not in pursuit on max loads and cast helps keep the pressures down when you tailor each load to a specific rifle.

The current shortages/prices of primers and powders, etc also do their part to moderate load strengths. A lot of us are likely looking to stretch every pound of powder.

I should note that I do have several Lee presses, starting with the big cast model, plus a couple-three other Lee bench mounts and a pair of dandy hand-presses which are great too, however, I just prefer to find the Lee Classic Loaders first when I start loading for a new caliber.

If I'm not able to buy a 'normal die set at the same time I get a LCL, I'll usually buy reloadable ammo, like Privi, fire that and start using the Loaders, however when I can't do either, I'll need use brass that's been given or traded to me.

For me, it's all about preferences in the order of acquisition, a go slow approach and safety.

R.Clem
04-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I used a Lee loader for some years as a secondary reloading tool for range work.
Bottle neck cases will have to be full length sized some times to keep the shoulder where it is supposed to be, neck sizing is more accurate than full length sizing in most cases.
I now only use a Lee Loader for straight wall cases, then all you have to do is trim them when they get so long that they won't go in the chamber, (you can't believe how many shots it takes to stretch a straight wall case that far, they are just about ready to loose their bases)