PDA

View Full Version : Lube question

Hunter 24095
03-31-2009, 10:09 PM
This may be a stupid question but I wont know if I don't ask. Can You tumble lube a boolit with a groove made lube? It would be used in a low velocity load for my .45acp.

Heavy lead
03-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Yes you sure can, myself I don't care much for tumble lubing, but a lot of people here have good luck with it with both tumble lube style boolits and regular ones too.

Hunter 24095
03-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Thank for the info.I havent bought a lube sizer yet and just use the lee sizer dies to size and would like to tumble lube until I can buy one.

Heavy lead
03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
I did that for quite sometime, mostly with Keith style boolits and it works pretty good actually, I mostly dipped the boolits in the liquid alox and let them dry standing up on wax paper then sized them, that way I didn't get lube on the nose.

Hunter 24095
03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
I did that for quite sometime, mostly with Keith style boolits and it works pretty good actually, I mostly dipped the boolits in the liquid alox and let them dry standing up on wax paper then sized them, that way I didn't get lube on the nose.

I never thought of doing it that way thanks for the tip:drinks:

Shiloh
03-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Done it with .38 wadcutters and .45 ACP. Good results, no problems,

The .45 ACP is the LEE #90351 228 gr RN. It has 2 narrow, shallow lube grooves. It doesn't hold must lube from the lubrisizer. I doesn't really seem to lend itself well to that application. It would be nice if it was more like the 90290 230 gr TC mold with the wider single groove. That's my thoughts on the matter anyway. I tried the alox lube and it works great. Never any problems in mine and a buddies 1911.

Shiloh

runfiverun
04-01-2009, 12:01 AM
i have melted down regular lube and dipped cold boolits in the hot lub then stand up on wax paper then push through the sizer.
this works better for me then pan lubing.
i wear the little dr's gloves.

Hunter 24095
04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
i have melted down regular lube and dipped cold boolits in the hot lub then stand up on wax paper then push through the sizer.
this works better for me then pan lubing.
i wear the little dr's gloves.

I tried that and the lube wouldn't stay in the groove so I'm going to try liquid alox tonight.

Recluse
04-01-2009, 01:51 PM
I tried that and the lube wouldn't stay in the groove so I'm going to try liquid alox tonight.

What did it for me (melted lube and cold boolits being dipped) was that I put my boolits in the freezer (in a ziploc bag) for about six hours or so, then dipped them into the melted lube.

But for those rare occasions when I feel compelled to pan lube or when I'm in the mood for self-abuse (same thing as pan lubing), I do the following: While the lube is melting on the hotplate, I have the boolits already in the pan heating in the oven. Not hot enough for heat-treating, but warm enough that they are hot to the touch.

I THEN pour the melted lube in the pan and let lube and boolits cool together. This, along with the incense and beeswax candles I light, the grocery store roaster chicken I sacrifice, and the profanity-filled incantations I utter during the process seems to make lube and boolit stick together like politicians and broken promises.

Your luck, depending on your incantations and sacrifices, may vary.

:coffee:

geargnasher
04-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Your luck, depending on your incantations and sacrifices, may vary.

:coffee:[/QUOTE]

That's what I always forget to do when pan lubing, thanks for the tip!:drinks:
gear