PDA

View Full Version : Top Punchs and Lee Bullets

kfarm
03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
I've been casting for a while now and have hand dipped and run my bullets thru a Lee sizer, this works OK but is slow and messy. I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Lubrisizer, no questions on the sizer die but is there a cross reference listing of Lyman/RCBS top punches for Lee Bullets?
Next question can a top punch say for a 44 SWC work for a 45 bullet or any bullet that has a flat nose with similar meplat.
Thanks Carroll

Windy City Kid
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes there is a cross reference listing of Lyman/RCBS top punches for Lee Bullets, it is on CastPics.net. Look under Top Punch References. The members here at Cast Boolits has together, it is not complete but there is a lot done. Many people modify there top punches with an epoxy for a perfect fit. It is pretty easy to do. All I do is, put a little JB weld in the top punch and put some releasing agent on the bullet. Then put the top punch on the bullet and let dry. Then you have a custon top punch. Some people make a top punch that is flat to do different flat nosed bullets in the same caliber. I think a member here Buckshot, sells a kit for custom top punches.

Here is the link:

http://http://www.castpics.net/

For your question on the 44SWC and 45 bullet, ect.

The top punches will work for different bullets with the same nose shape in the same caliber or larger. The reason is the top punch when sizing a bullet enters the top of the sizing die. So a .44 caliber top punch won't work for a .38, but it will work for a .45.

I hope this helped you.

happy7
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Windy city got it right. As long as a top punch doesn't deform your bullet, it is fine to use.

kfarm
04-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the information, I think I'm going to have buckshot's a try.

kingstrider
04-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Wow you guys never cease to amaze me. That was just the thing I was looking for !

TAWILDCATT
04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
seems it should be a sticky as it is a consant question.:coffee:[smilie=1: