PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1903 Mark 1

Rusty Bore
03-31-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm new to this so treat me kindly.

With all the know how floating around this site, I need some help. I just purchased this near new 03 Mark 1 rifle from an estate sale. It's no longer original (could be made so without to much work) Someone has taken the original sights off and did a really lousy job of drilling and taping for scope mounts. The rear mount is off to the left and the front one off to the left. Can these holes and a couple in the barrel be welded closed?

This rifle is in near new condition and I doubt it has fired more than 10 or 20 times. It has a flamming bomb on the barrell and another one on the floor plate. All parts have matching serial numbers engraved on them. even the bolt with it's turned down handle.

I didn't know when I purchased it that the mounts were were messed up.

Thanks for your help,

Rusty Bore::coffee:

PS; Sorry, It's not for sale.

35 Whelen
04-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Rather than weld them, I'd suggest installing plug screws then carefully filing them down flush. Go easy with the file and when you start getting close, switch to wet/dry sandpaper to finish it.
35W

NickSS
04-01-2009, 04:32 AM
I concur with the screw idea as the receivers on those older Springfields are either single heat treated or double heat treated (after about 800,000 serial number) and hard as all get out. filing the screws and a little touch up blue and you will hardly see them. Welding would perhaps damage the heat treatment of the action. If you can put it back in original GI configuration you will have a piece of history. Most of the Mk 1 were built in 1918 with the idea of using them for the spring offensive in 1919 which never happened.

Rusty Bore
04-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks Guys

I have been doing a lot of reading about this, one of the articles says that the best method is to re-drill and tap for a tapered screw intended for this purpose. The article didn't say where to get these. I'll try Brownell's and see if they know.

Again, thanks for your help,

Rusty Bore

Rusty Bore
04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Good morning again,

I just thought I would give you a little more information about this rifle. First it's serial number 1,041,1XX, well above the 800,000. It was manufactured Nov. 1918 if anyone is keeping records.

The reason I decided to make this a shooter is that with effort, I did get a scope mounted up to this thing and fired some of my hand loads through it, It consistantly grouped 5 shots at less than 1.70 groups with at lesst three of those grouping less than 1.50 at 100 yrds. With those tight groupings without any work, it's should make a great shooter. The previous work just is not quality.

Rusty Bore