PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have any air rifles?

Ole
03-30-2009, 11:27 PM
I bought this last year when bullets weren't available anywhere and gas was $4+/gallon.

http://mrpburke.com/fileupload/uploads/scopedbenjamin.jpg

It's a .22 Benjamin Discovery PCP. Man this thing is fun. I've come close to getting in trouble a couple times shooting in my backyard. Now a days I just shoot inside with a .22LR bullet trap. :mrgreen:

This thing will surprise you what it will do, accuracy wise. Sees 800-850fps with std .22 caliber pellets and will go 1000fps with the light ones. I can get at least 50 good , full power shots from a single fill. I fill it with a mini tank that is good for at least half a dozen full refills. Any paint ball shop can fill my air tank for around $2-$3.

http://mrpburke.com/fileupload/uploads/benjamin2.jpg

It's a hoot.

What you guys got? :Fire:

LeadThrower
03-31-2009, 12:05 AM
My wife bought me an RWS Diana model 54 Air King as a Valentine's day gift about 12 years ago. Talk about a real gem! ... and the air gun is fantastic, too!

So who's going to honcho a 6-cav .22 pellet group buy? ;)

clodhopper
03-31-2009, 12:21 AM
I have some air guns, my current favorite is an older anschutz mod 450 side lever.
It has twin pistons that cock apart and and spring together on fireing. No recoil, very nice trigger. I shoot a few ground squirrels in ranch's corrals with it. Some times the ranch manager sends a message when it's time to thin 'em down.

alamogunr
03-31-2009, 12:51 AM
I've been kicking the idea around. The Discovery is the one I zeroed in on. Some of the things I read led me to believe that paint ball shops only filled with CO2. I understand that those that have access to dive shops can use an old scuba tank too. Get more fills out of a tank.

What scope do you have on yours?

John
W.TN

missionary5155
03-31-2009, 06:35 AM
Good morning
Yep .17 Sheridan Blue Streak with a receiver sight. Flat deadly out to 50 yards with 10 pumps. Bought it in 1977.
Mike in Peru

Kraschenbirn
03-31-2009, 08:39 AM
RWS Diana M52 with an aftermarket receiver rear sight and globe front. Bought it four or five years ago for indoor practice during winter months. Definitely shoots better than I can hold.

Bill

Ole
03-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I've been kicking the idea around. The Discovery is the one I zeroed in on. Some of the things I read led me to believe that paint ball shops only filled with CO2. I understand that those that have access to dive shops can use an old scuba tank too. Get more fills out of a tank.

John
W.TN

I kicked the idea of getting a scuba tank around too. This little tank holds plenty of air (enough for 400-500 shots) and it a heck of a lot easier to lug around. A scuba tank would hold enough air for probably 10x that # of shots. Maybe more.

I had open sights on this rifle for a few months, but finally gave in and bought a Wally world special cheapie scope. It's a 3x9x50 Tasco. I think I paid $27 for it. [smilie=1: I would like to get some rings that are a little shorter though. Because of the high scope mount, I have this thing sighted in for about 15-20 yards, and it shoots about an inch low inside the house (5-7 yards).

Harry O
03-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Nope. But how about air pistols?

I have a Webley Tempest and a Diana 6G (not the more common 5G). The Diana 6G is "recoilless" as opposed to the 5G that recoils forward. The Diana is more accurate offhand than the Tempest, probably because the sights are much farther apart.

Interestingly, I have never gotten used to the reverse recoil of the Tempest (which is the same as the 5G). It is not much, but I can't wrap my head around a forward recoil. I use the Diana most of the time any more. I use them to shoot in the basement most evenings. Besides, the melted down spent pellets make for great casting.

exile
03-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Beeman P-1 magnum air pistol. College graduation present.

exile

Wicky
03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
I have a Diana 34 I bought about 25 years ago - give or take. It gives about 850 - 900 fps with heavy! 177 pellets and is great for the feral pidgeons in the yard. I also have a Telly that I bought in '74 good fun gun but the spring is almost shot - I get about 300-400 fps depending how long its been resting in the cupboard!
Lots of fun and cheap.
The old 222 loaded with shotgun primers and 22 cal pellets is fun just a bit more expensive 'cause of the primer - but then its not really an air rifle!

SharpsShooter
03-31-2009, 05:58 PM

John
W.TN

I use a 3500psi scuba tank for my discovery. It will recharge the rifle 100's of times and the refill of the tank is $5.

SS

corvette8n
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I havge a Gamo Shadow 1000 with a BSA 4x32 airgun scope and a Charlie Tuna trigger assembly. I am very pleased with the accuracy. I shoot indoors in the bad weather, and keep the Squirrels out of the bird feeder the rest of the time.
So far 14 Squirrels and 6 chipmonks.

TAWILDCATT
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I have a china rifle /pistol,benjamin,and crossman.chines are $19 and shoot accurate.:coffee:[smilie=1:

carpetman
04-01-2009, 12:41 PM
missionary 5155--Is the Sheridan a .17 or is it a 5mm 20 cal? If it was made in .17 I never heard of it.