PDA

View Full Version : Small rifle Primers

wire nut
03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Like everyone else I am having a hard time findind primers. I use mostly small pistol primers and can't find any anywhere. I have located several thousand small rifle primers.
Have anyone used SRP in place Spp for plinking. I bought 200 to try.I primed 50 cases and the primers fit flush with the case. Any problems doing this. Please advise. Wire nut

jcwit
03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
No problem, back your charge down maybe 10% and work from there. Anyway you're good to go.

Oh one more thing if you have a real light hammer throw or light firing pin spring you might have trouble with ignition, but thats not likely.

MtGun44
03-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Your biggest issue is likely to be misfires since rifle primers use
harder cups than pistol primers. Might also increase pressures
due to higher flame output, although I've seen tests that show
the visible flame output is all over the map, without any consistent
pattern related to the rifle or pistol application. I'm not certain that
visible flame exactly relates to ignition effectiveness, tho.

I'd start at the absolute minimum load shown for the caliber/boolit
wt in the book and work up carefully, if you get good ignition.

Also, note that inconsistent ignition due to weak firing pin hits is
often a source of serious inaccuracy problems, so you might have
worse accy since most pistol firing pin hits are likely to be 'weak'
by rifle standards.

If you try it, please report your results.

Bill

anachronism
03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Dimensionally, the primers are the same. The rifle primers have thicker cups & use a much hotter priming compound. If you must use them, you need to start your load development back at the beginning & work up (or down) from there. I used to use small rifle primers in my heavy .357 mag silhouette loads instead of magnum primers. These loads were off the charts & needed the reinforcement. I finally simply went to a bigger gun.

wire nut
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
These will be used in 38 sp loads with 2.8 gr bullseys and with either a 148 gr wadcutter or 158 gr cast boolit. I will be shooting the magority in a black hawk. I'm just trying to find a way to keep plinking. Thanks WIRE NUT

runfiverun
03-30-2009, 10:48 PM
the blackhawk in 30 carbine will fire off the sr primers used in that brass so you should have no problems.

SciFiJim
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
I have located several thousand small rifle primers.

Wire Nut, go back and buy them all. Your black hawk will give a heavy enough firing pin strike to use them and is strong enough to handle any extra pressure. Like others said, work up your loads from the beginning again (that's where a lot of the fun is anyway:-D). You'll likely not find a great deal of difference in velocity. The biggest difference is that the small rifle primers use thicker metal in the cups to handle the higher pressures that rifles operate at. Good Find:mrgreen:

If after trying a few, you find that you don't like them you can always sell them on gunbroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126044983) for BIG $$$$$ .
The prices there have gone insane.

Old Ironsights
03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
They work fine in my SP101 & my Rossi .357...

wire nut
03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks Guy's. I will go and buy more. I will try and get some loaded up this week and hope to try this weekend. I will let you know how they work out. Wire nut