PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolit weight not consistent

alw700
03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I have cast up a few hundred 230 gr 451 boolits from w/ws. I don't have a scale that weighs grains. I do have one the weighs in grahms. I took some at random they weigh 8 grahms to 14 grahms.
When I smelted down the w/ws I did it in small batches 7 to 11 lbs at a time.
Would melting all the ingets down in one batch and recast them make any differance?
Thanks for any help
Arthur

docone31
03-30-2009, 07:21 PM
What I do,
I make my ingots. I keep the ingots seperate in types. Even if it seems like they should be the same.
When I cast, I randomly take some castings from the water and visually check for fillout, frosting, shine. I kinda eyeball it.
I have a mixture I like, I have no clue what it tests out to, but it does work for me. Rifle is one thing, pistol is another. It is mostly a by gosh and by golly mixture. Essentially, I would come back from the range, and tweak the mixture. Now I can eyeball it and come out pretty close.
Keeping batches seperate is always a good thing, as long as you remember what is what.
Once you find your melt, you want to repeat it.

high standard 40
03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
I think you need to check your scale. If it weighs in Grams and your weight spread is 8-14 grams, that's 123-216 grains. I just don't see how you could get that wide a spread casting that bullet.

wiljen
03-30-2009, 07:40 PM
The weight of bullets would vary between batches but not within one. If you cast a couple hundred bullets at 230gr you wouldn't have needed more than one batch to do so.

Check your scale and your casting technique.

Cloudpeak
03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
One thing I think worth mentioning is that it seems most folks prefer .452" diameter for shooting in 45 ACP's. You might have a leading problem with bullets sized .451". Also, it's a good idea to slug your bore.

You'll also want to get a scale that measures in grains.

Cloudpeak