PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Color?

MGySgt
03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I just started shooting a RBH 45 Colt and the front site was a redish pink that GLOWED when it was in the shade, but well defined in bright sun light. Difference in impact was about 3 inches at 30 yards.

I cleanded the front sight and used a Flat Black tought up pen to put it back to black. Groups ran small when I did my part in the sun shine or overcast with the same point of aim.

Us older gents need all the help in finding the front sight and flat black doesn't work in the heavy timmber on a dark side of an animal.

So - What colors do you use.

By the way - the load is RCBS 45-270 SAA (280 gr from WW) RP brass, CCI LP, and 9 gr Unique.

Drew

waksupi
03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I've gone through lots of different colors, looking for the best. It seems I can see a light to medium blue in most light, but not good in snow. I don't like red, disappears on me, Orange causes flares. Green isn't too bad. White is good if you have a large enough front sight.
Go get some assorted model paints, and try them out.

jhrosier
03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Green should be good as that is the easiest color for the eye to pick up.
Most of the 'light tube' style sights seem, for me, to be too coarse for fine shooting.
I have one revolver with a flat faced gold bead about half the width of the front sight blade and that seems best for all around use.

Jack

mooman76
03-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I like something that is in contrast with the background which of coarse changes depending on what and where you are shooting. Usually I use the standard black but for hunting I like red or white.

MGySgt
03-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - for the time being I am leaving this one alone (45LC) and will experiment with my SBH 44 - need an excuse to shoot that one and the front sight is pined - easier to clean off!

Cherokee
03-31-2009, 10:36 AM
I use black.

jh45gun
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
For a white sight ( I just used white on the very tip like a white bead or dot) buy a bottle of white out that paper correction stuff. It really sticks to the sight has its own applicator or brush and a bottle will about last ya forever if you just use it for sights. :)

MT Gianni
03-31-2009, 04:27 PM
I remember Elmer Keith writing about his gold bands for long dostance but have not tried them. I think a gold sight miht show up well but prefer black for a revolver and a 3 dot white for autos.

MGySgt
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
More good reccomendations - it is going to take awhile to try most if not all of them. I have the 3 dot on my 3913 that I carry - can't fault it for a carry gun.

leftiye
03-31-2009, 07:47 PM
White with a black line down the middle. You'll be amazed how it helps you to hold finer. White outline rear with white line centered below the notch (like a Millet) is muy good too. A white triangle with the point up below the notch is good too.

runfiverun
03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
i have started to favor either a white line or a triangle on the rear and a flat brass front.
i can't find a white front sight in the snow,and black just disappears at times.
one of my rifles has two green dots on the rear and a red dot on the front which is fine till you are in shadows then it becomes regular ole sights again.
for positive sights with my 625 i went white outline and green dot on the front it's accurate enough for 4" steel plates at 50 yds.

MtGun44
03-31-2009, 10:26 PM
You will laugh, but a sky blue frt sight shows up well on anything I have ever
tried it against.

No joke, buy some model paint and try it.

Bill

MGySgt
04-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Never had much luck with white outlined rear sights, I have a hard time keeping the front sight in the middle.

Maybe a white line down the front sight would help.

Lots to try - at least it will keep me out of trouble for a little while (naw that won't happen either).

Thanks all for some good ideas.

Drew

shooting on a shoestring
04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
OK MtGun44, I'm trying your blue idea. So far so good. I've got it on my carry SP101. The previous orange glow paint was needing a second coat, so I painted it blue instead. I still wish for a glow-in-the-dark front sight for night, but from low light up, the blue is good.

StrawHat
04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
II cleanded the front sight and used a Flat Black tought up pen to put it back to black. Groups ran small when I did my part in the sun shine or overcast with the same point of aim.

Us older gents need all the help in finding the front sight and flat black doesn't work in the heavy timmber on a dark side of an animal.

So - What colors do you use.

By the way - the load is RCBS 45-270 SAA (280 gr from WW) RP brass, CCI LP, and 9 gr Unique.

Drew

I have always used a black sight front and rear. Until I read your posting, I attributed my ever increasing group sizes with my chnages of age. Now I will have to try some of these suggestions. I do have a couple of front sights cut like the old Sourdough sight and find they work pretty good as does the one sourdough with the brass piece fixed to the sloped surface.

I hope the idea of the white line down the center of the sight works, it would be a cheaper fix than resighting my guns.

The Unique load is what I am using with the GB 45-283, not a bad load!

jh45gun
04-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I shot my Uberti Cattle man today with the white tip applied to the front sight and I figure it made a huge difference.

Gunfixer
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Glow in the dark....Jig head paint, available at Bass Pro, Cabelas etc

Groo
04-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Groo here
SSK and Magnaport used lime green with good results..

MtGun44
04-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Shooting on a shoestring,

My second model nickel Cobra has sky blue paint on the otherwise invisible long
smooth nickel ramped front sight. A friend showed me this years ago, and sky blue
shows up better on more different targets in more odd/bad lighting conditions than
anything else I've tried for quick and dirty self defense work.

Glad you like it. I see it better in poor light than red, yellow or orange and it
does not wash out like white against light backgrounds (targets).

Like I said - you're gonna laugh, but try it.

Bill

Irascible
04-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a translucent pink on my 338 Woodswalker from SSK. It works quite well. The old S&W red ramp is terrible for me. I have a patridge front on my M29 and painted the rear surface with pink nail polish for woods hunting and that has worked so far. If you dont mind modifying your gun, Mag-Na-Port has a "see more" front sight with intercgangeable blades of various colors.
IHMSA Silhouette shooters are now allowed to paint their sights and blue front/yellow rear seems to work for them, but it's almost always against a flat black target.

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2009, 02:27 PM
yup nothing better. If you need low light capability just use a thinner black front blade so you can see a little light on both sides. In low light any colar washes out to for me and im not going to give up the crisp sight picture black gives me in good light.
I use black.

Leadforbrains
04-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Black is Beautiful, but I do like Tritium on certain occasions.:Fire:

Rodfac
04-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I like a plain black serrated ramp front sight. It's easy to blacken it with a match for target work as necessary, and it will readily clean up with alcohol or brake cleaner when I'm finished. For hunting and general woods loafing, I use type writer correction fluid...ie. White Out. It paints on easily, and is easy to see against trees, deer hair, etc. It's dead flat and I get no sun glint from it. I also use it for hunting with any of my open sight rifles...does great on an M1, the Carbine, or an 03's post. For any civilian with the usual round gold bead, the white out takes all the glare out and you can hunt with the hood in place.
Rodfac