PDA

View Full Version : No primers any where, seriously?

MattMore
03-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Okay so I have been looking for large rifle and small pistol primers. I call the stores near me and they say, no primers call back in a week, okay so I call back and still no primers. So I go online thinking I'll just order them, nope no primers no backorder either. Ok so I decide I'll expand my search area. I'm willing to drive quite a bit if I can just get some damn primers. So I start calling every gun store in a 100 mile radius and guess what, no primers. No one knows when they'll be in. No one can order any, for cash up front, and tell me when they expect them in. Are they that elusive? Every store says oh well to bad charlie. I am a new loader and this is really disheartining! I can't even explain how upset I am about this. It's bull and thats all. So if anyone knows of a place to aquire some primers I would gladly pay you to pick me up some.

Heavy lead
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Yuppers, we are all just using what we got stashed up. Make every trigger pull count for something.

Old Ironsights
03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Yuppers, we are all just using what we got stashed up. Make every trigger pull count for something.

+ a lot. I'm only shooting enough to stay in form for hunting/TEOTWAWKI

My 15K or so primers should last until there are more or till it won't matter...

fishhawk
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
got about 30K here and my shooting will be curtailed with the cartridge guns until primers are avalable again, so my shooting now will be with the flinters. steve k

scrapcan
03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
same story here in the interior west. I found two bricks of small pistol primers and bought one for a coworker (I have quite a few on the shelf I thought at the time) I should ahve bought both boxes and kept them both. I found them at the largest component supplier in my state. The only other primers they had instock at the time of visit were shotgun primers. Lots of bullets, brass and powder, but no primers.

JDFuchs
03-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm down to my last 400 small pistol and I was just starting to get decent with my two revolvers.

Some are cashing out with the excess they have http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125831446 $50 for 1k.. it's makeing me sad :(

Sky King
03-30-2009, 03:02 PM
What good is brass, powder or bullets, without the primers. I've come across the same problem here in the western burbs of Chicago. I was at Cabela's this weekend and the man behind the counters blames it on the administration in Washington.
Might be right.

Throckmorton
03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Same in sw wa. state/Portland,Or area, powder almost non existant as well.And becasue of it,imho, bricks of .22's are almost non-existant as well. :(

runfiverun
03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
they are out there you just gotta look and maybe not be so picky.
i had to take small pistol magnum match,and small rifle match,with the small rifle i had to drive 3 hrs to get.but i have them and they should last me through this summer.

MattMore
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
We should start a primer company of our own. Then maybe we can get some

jsizemore
03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I got started loading during the primer scare of the mid-90's. The only store that had any rationed 100/week. And I had just built a 1911 Caspian. I paid $2/100 and the going price was $10/1000. I made every shot count. When primers were available again, I borrowed a friends Dillon and loaded 6 30cal ammo cans full for each of us.

mtgrs737
03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Sure am glad I laid in a large stock of primmers back when Billy got elected and I had an FFL. A distributor had them on sale for $5.75 per 1000. Man do things change!

Shiloh
03-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Last I heard when I called, $36 per thousand locally. I'm sure they are up to $40

Shiloh

Pepe Ray
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
At the gunshow in Lewiston last w/e the place was packed. Elbow to elbow. Sardines. One table had one case of Win LR's and 209's. All priced at $36/M. They were about gone when I got there.
One other table had 5 cans of powder, 2-AA5's, 1-WW760, and a couple of other AA's I don't know about. Each tagged at $18. In 2 hrs time the powder never moved. The way it was displayed I believe that not many saw it. If I had been employed I'd have bought it on speculation.
Prices in general were noticeably higher than last Oct.'s gunshow. All dealers that I spoke with were in good humor as they were moving product. OTD!!
Pepe Ray

Ole
03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
They have primers on Gunbroker.

You won't like the prices, but they do have them.

smlekid
03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
We have heard here in Australia not to expect primers from Winchester and CCI till next year
not sure on Federal

targetshootr
03-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Okay so I have been looking for large rifle and small pistol primers. I call the stores near me and they say, no primers call back in a week, okay so I call back and still no primers. So I go online thinking I'll just order them, nope no primers no backorder either. Ok so I decide I'll expand my search area. I'm willing to drive quite a bit if I can just get some damn primers. So I start calling every gun store in a 100 mile radius and guess what, no primers. No one knows when they'll be in. No one can order any, for cash up front, and tell me when they expect them in. Are they that elusive? Every store says oh well to bad charlie. I am a new loader and this is really disheartining! I can't even explain how upset I am about this. It's bull and thats all. So if anyone knows of a place to aquire some primers I would gladly pay you to pick me up some.

Check around for a local range who buys lots of clay pigeons. They can probably get primers and powder at a decent price for their members. That way you can avoid all the craziness going on.

j23
03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Becoming about as outraged as everyone else, I sat down and contacted CCI (as I usually only use CCI primers...) I cant recall the gentleman's name as it has been about a week ago, but he and I had a forty five minute, non-rushed conversation about everything from shooting, to politics to how bad marriage can be. Nice guy. Furthermore, A PERSON answered the phone on the first try, and the people that I spoke too trying to contact a sales rep were very friendly and helpful. So now that everyone is drooling to know what he said.. Ill outline a few points.

*He stated that I was probably up over the hundred-ith caller he had received that day, and it was not lunch yet; I called after I got off working a midnight shift.

*He stated that they are paying outragous overtime hours to run the primer manufacturing around the clock. He says that they are putting out an ungodly amount of primers (as in, billions,) and they are back ordered (as of a week ago) through November on all of their major suppliers. They dont sell to 'the little guy,' only major suppliers and retailers to in turn sell to smaller companies and business'.

*I naturally asked, if you all have been making billions of primers over the past few weeks, why are none of them hitting 'the street.' He was unable to answer that one.

*He stated that military primers and civilian primers arent competing with each other, i.e. they (all primer/ammo companies) arent making so many military contract primers that the the civilian primers have to wait. He says that they are made on separate facilities with separate staff. ...same thing with military contract ammunition suppliers.

*He mentioned hoarding as the biggest cause of the primer shortage though as I said before, hoarding what!?! There are no primers out there to buy from the big guys (Cabela's, Midway, Dillon, ect.) even if you wanted to hoard them. Again, he didnt have an answer for that one.

*He was ADAMENT that the government had not placed restrictions, nor had no hand in how many primers they made/sold/the price, ect. :roll:

*He stated that some companies such as Winchester and Remington have diverted most of their primers to ammunition sales because it was more profitable. He stated that CCI hasnt only because they dont sell enough centerfire ammunition for it to matter.

So there you have it folks, straight from the horse's mouth, for what its worth.

Pesonally, it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. If the big guys are backordered until flipping November, what is happening to the BILLIONS of primers that are being/will be made during eight or so months?? Odd. ...just Odd.

Personally, Im eating the 350 dollars and buying a case of 5000 CCI 400's :???: from Gunbroker, which should last me for a lifetime of hunting, if not that, at least until TEOTWAWKI, which to be honest, I believe is right around the corner. ...but thats for another board! [smilie=1:

Hope this post helped.

felix
03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
The primers are going to the ammo manufacturers. You can bet on it. ... felix

jonk
03-30-2009, 05:41 PM
I believe it. None here anywhere either.

As for the hoarding- I personally know someone who bought 200,000 of them the day Obama got in office. There are many like him. Some worse.

TDC
03-30-2009, 07:08 PM
All major suppliers in my area haven't seen a large rifle primer from any mfg for 2 1/2 months. All centerfire primers are now almost non-existant. If primers are being shipped they certainly aren't being on an allocation basis.

The statements from "those in the know" seem lacking at the very best. Rumors are floating around my area as I'm sure they are in others. One is that several weeks ago CCI laid off 30 people at their primer making facility in Idaho. If true, no one seems to know why. Another is that Federal is going to make primers only for their own ammo and the military in the future.

Whatever the problems are there doesn't seem to be any sign of a "light at the end of the tunnel" for this shortage. I've lived through many political and economic downturns in my time that have affected handloading/shooting in the past. This one seems very, very different and scary by comparison....

TC

Ole
03-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Maybe the govt is using the TARP money to buy up all the primers? [smilie=1:

TDC
03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Maybe the govt is using the TARP money to buy up all the primers? [smilie=1:

Ah!! Finally an explanation "we can believe in....":-D

archmaker
03-30-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't know but I am thinking this is going to be like what happened to the price of oil.

Everything I have read indicates that everybody that is making primers and the like is doing so at full tilt.

I have seen the prices on gunbroker, and just not willing to pay it.

Do I have what I need, yes. Do I have what I want no.

What I need is enough ammo to protect me and mine, what I want is enough to go compete in some IDPA matches. I will not sacrifice my need for my want.

I would guess that I have about 5k of primers, various sizes and types. I would want some more LP, but I have about 300LP and about 1k of LPM. If things get so bad that I run out of ammo, then it is TEOTWAWKI.

Of course I have the woods, and make my own longbow, arrows and points :)

I like the TARP explanation, We are already in debt for 2+ trillion, a few billion here and there spent on primers, and congress would not even notice.

targetshootr
03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't Of course I have the woods, and make my own longbow, arrows and points :)

Got pics? Sounds like a great hobby.

whisler
03-30-2009, 09:30 PM
what is TEOTWAWKI.

snaggdit
03-30-2009, 09:34 PM
The End of the World As We Know It

Leftoverdj
03-30-2009, 09:36 PM
what is TEOTWAWKI.

The end of the world as we know it.

Old Ironsights
03-30-2009, 09:37 PM
The end of the world as we know it.

That happened with the Coronation of the One Party State.... :-?

snaggdit
03-30-2009, 09:43 PM
As I posted a couple weeks ago, I scarfed the last box each of CCI LP and SP at Gander in Duluth, MN for $39.99 each. I called my brother in Chippewa Falls and he hit Gander in Eau Claire and got the same (last ones). No SR, anywhere. Called my FIL in Tyler Tx and he hit Gander and scored 6 packs of SR, $4 a pack. That cleaned them out. It's nationwide, folks. We had a local gunshow this weekend. I picked up a set of RCBS 380 dies for $20, a buddy got some .243 dies and brass, but I saw no powder or primers. I asked a friend with a table there who does all the shows if he had some primers. He got this wary look in his eyes. He finally admitted to a bunch (10-20K+) each. I told him I knew where to come if things got desparate. 6 months ago, I would have thought 5k total in various sizes would have been fine. Now I am aiming for 20K. I got the brass and powder, no good without the primers!

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I got brass and primers and dont have enough powder to fill them all

sargenv
03-30-2009, 09:54 PM
5k? that's like 4 months of the year for me.. but then I burn up about 12-15k a year in Revolver ammo alone.. Maybe since I'm not going to as many matches I might want to conserve a bit.. though my local club still has a small stock, and they are limiting what we can get to 1k per person per day, and lucky for us, they are not gouging us.

Depreacher
03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
How many of you remember the old movie "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. When the locals got to raising to much cain he would just hose them down with the .50 mounted on the balcony. I loved that movie, except for the ending. If I could see 12 months into the future, I'd probably store a years supply of food instead of just 3 months. Got the garden going though, and 2 water wells working. Plenty of ammo. Depreacher

jcwit
03-30-2009, 09:59 PM
I would like to know the quanity of primers shipped from the maunfactures for the months of Feb and March to distributors to be sold to dealers for cilvian consumption.

Would be very interesting.

wilddog45
03-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Glad I bought an extra 10k of assorted primers last year after the bomb was elected.

VintageRifle
03-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I think the ones hording the primers are the distributors. Waiting for the prices to go up so they can make a nice profit.

TC66
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Bass Pro Shop in Cincinnati got 8 boxes of Large Pistol and 8 boxes of Small Pistol today. 1600 pistol primers total. They sold them for 2.99 a box. A friends of mine bought all 16 boxes. No rifle primers at all.

TC

Matt_G
03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Personally, I think it is the public hoarding them.
Case in point:
I have become fairly friendly with a gentleman that works at a Sportsman's Warehouse in the Denver area.
I talked to him a few weeks ago about this and this is what he had to say about the lack of primers.

He told me that the previous Tuesday the truck had come in with a delivery of primers and powder, along with other assorted items.
He said they had 180,000 primers on that truck.
The clerks had been telling everyone that deliveries happened on Tuesdays; if your looking for primers come back then.
He said they couldn't even get the primers on the shelf. People were grabbing them out of the cases and out of his hands as he was trying to put them up.
One guy grabbed 30,000 primers. Another grabbed 25,000.
Those 180,000 primers were gone in less than 30 minutes!
BTW, the powder went almost as fast. All the popular stuff was gone by lunch time.

Yeah, people are freaking out and they are hoarding big time.
Just my 2 cents worth.

MattMore
03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
so i guess us young guns are screwed

runfiverun
03-30-2009, 10:41 PM
the only primers i have been able to get have been federal and cci.
i thought rem and might be putting out a new camouflaged box or sumthin.

Tom Herman
03-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Same in sw wa. state/Portland,Or area, powder almost non existant as well.And becasue of it,imho, bricks of .22's are almost non-existant as well. :(

I've seen crap at the big box stores. One local shop had a case of powder come in, I should have bought the two cans of Red Dot as they didn't have any Unique.
No primers anywhere. Thank God that I have several thousand stashed away (long before the election, as the normal course of stockpiling as I could afford!).
It's not a matter of needing them now, just a matter of restocking as I go through them.
I am catiously limiting the ammo I shoot. Once things loosen up a bit, I'll shoot more, and then stock up well over 10K more primers and an S load of powder.
I don't like what I'm seeing now. Something simply isn't right, and I'm quite suspicious.
Keep the reports coming in!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Matt_G
03-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't like what I'm seeing now. Something simply isn't right, and I'm quite suspicious.

I think it comes down to the fact that people are scared to death this Congress and Obama are going to ban reloading somehow. Either through the ammunition accountability act or by banning the sale of components.
People are trying to lay in a lifetime supply. :roll:

TDC
03-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Probably time for all of us to start thinking about doing some networking and try trading primers locally. As an example, I'm very short on large rifle but very long on large and small pistol, both regular and mag. (25k of each). If everyone who shoots seriously and has an abundance of a particular size would try to do something like trade we might be able to have some small impact on the shortages and hoarding.

My guess is 90% of the people buying primers and powder are now buying strictly on speculation, that is, when they can find any to buy. If and when these necessary components become available again it should end any frenzy, but I think it would be at least a year at best before the shelves would be full again. But then, all bets are off should the current congress and prez decide to, uh, "assert" themselves....!!

JMHO,

TC

Recluse
03-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I think it comes down to the fact that people are scared to death this Congress and Obama are going to ban reloading somehow. Either through the ammunition accountability act or by banning the sale of components.
People are trying to lay in a lifetime supply. :roll:

It's not that I'm "scared to death" of this Congress or Hussein, it's that I don't trust the thievin', lying sons of female-dogs-in-heat one blessed, blooming bit.

When we went to Sandland to kick out the first Hussein (the less infamous and decidedly less dangerous Hussein), I remember primers and powder and factory ammo being very scarce. I remember hearing the same wild tales and "explanations" I've been reading here and elsewhere.

Three things happening here:

NUMBER ONE. Had a good friend who owned an indoor range and gun store and catered to reloaders. I got all my stuff from him. During the "shortage" it wasn't as though nobody could get them, it was that EVERYONE wanted them AT THE SAME TIME.

Think about it: How often does every single reloader in the United States (and abroad) suddenly decide he/she needs to start stashing up on supplies at the same time?

NUMBER TWO. The second thing that is happening, ala 1991/1992, is that when components become available, reloaders aren't just buying two or three hundred primers at a time. That's what retailers and MANUFACTURERS are used to--and that is how their business and operations are set up.

But, now reloaders are buying two and three THOUSAND, or MORE, at a time and that is NOT how retailers and manufacturers are set up or used to operating. Demand has greatly outpaced Supply and at such a scope that Supply simply cannot catch up no matter HOW MANY components they produce.

NUMBER THREE. Now, complicating this are the hordes and hordes of BRAND NEW RELOADERS that instantly came upon the scene with the annointment and immaculation of the Messiah Hussein. Once again, Demand grew exponentially overnight and at such a staggering rate that Supply could not keep up.

There is not a Lee Classic Turret to be found. Lee, the given introductory brand for most new reloaders, cannot make enough .223, 7.62x39mm and .45 ACP dies and components. Go online and see how much reloading equipment is on backorder.

And from the previously existing reloaders have now come NEW BOOLIT CASTERS. Tried getting a new mould from Midsouth or Midway lately--especially from Lee? Good luck. Lot of Lyman stuff out of stock as well as RCBS. I read that there is now a three-month wait on new Star sizers. Been reloading since 1970 and NEVER seen or heard that. I've got a list of moulds I want, just to have on hand in case I MIGHT need some boolits of that particular configuration. And when I see the mould/s available, I make a fast purchase. Same goes with gas checks and other casting components.

I have plenty of primers, but can never have enough--at least not for my own comfort factor. And as I find them, I'll be buying them in significantly larger quantities than I ever have before. Can always trade and barter with them.

:coffee:

AZ-Stew
03-31-2009, 01:37 AM
From what I've seen locally, I don't think the primer production is going into factory loaded ammo. There isn't any of THAT around here, either.

Regards,

Stew

jdgabbard
03-31-2009, 02:12 AM
From what I've seen locally, I don't think the primer production is going into factory loaded ammo. There isn't any of THAT around here, either.

Regards,

Stew

Thats because everyone has bought it up.

Look how quick people buy out Walmart as soon as they get the goods in. Think about how quick primers and powder disappear from (seems everywhere except the store I frequent) the stores you buy your stuff from. People have gone horde crazy, and that is all there is to it.

The good news behind this, is I think it makes a pretty damn powerful statement about exactly HOW America feels about the 2nd Amendment. And as long as this shortage isn't forgotten about, I don't think we'll have to worry about loads of new "gun laws" coming about. I think this pretty well says "we're ready..."

snaggdit
03-31-2009, 02:50 AM
I stopped at Walmart on my way home today to get some Federal Hi-end Target 22 shells my brother recommended for our upcoming Appleseed. The sporting goods manager was helpful. She told me they were out of every bulk pack of 22 ammo. She then said they had some coming in on the truck tonight. She offered to go look. I asked specifically for the Fed stuff, and she said that wasn't on the truck. I told her I have tons of the reg. stuff, but was just looking for the match stuff for the shoot. She said there were 10 boxes of 500 on the truck and she expected by the time she got back in for work tomorrow it would be gone, ammo has gone crazy. I just smiled and said I understood. Then I told her that's why I reload everything, just 22s are a different animal. And it goes on...

archmaker
03-31-2009, 10:04 AM
The comment about reloading equipment is dead on, I ordered a lee 6 cavity mold and thought I had the right handles, didn't. Now the handles are on backorder at Midway :(

Think I will wait until I can get the handles and some primers, in the meantime I may go buy a case of 45 Hardball. Yes, I know a gun store that has cases of the stuff, including 9, 40, and 45.

Not advertising, and when asked how does he have ammo when most doesn't he just states that he works 4-5 hours a day looking for it, calling everyone he knows.

kingstrider
03-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Same here in central KY. The stores are always out and the only place I ever find them is at the gun shows, though the last gun show had none of what I needed. Fortunately I stocked up quite a bit in the fall so am set with primers & powder for the next couple of years. I figure by then supply should catch up with the demand or the democrats will have taken everything away.

DeepSouth
03-31-2009, 10:40 AM
got 5,000 large rifle cci from grafs about 2 weeks ago,plus a keg of imr 3031.had to wait a month almost to get it,but i got it.going to order a couple more kegs and more primers as soon as i can.got into reloading last year so i didn't have any supplies,then the idiot got in office.i'm always behind the curve on everything.

hunter64
03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Recluse: Couldn't agree with you more. Check out evil bay and the used mold prices are going for the same amount as new ones. The reason is no one has the new ones and people are paying the same for used ones just to have them. The threat of WW's being banned has driven the casting world into a frenzy, "hoard WW's and buy all the molds that you need now". Plus the fact that the prices of jacketed bullets have doubled in a year doesn't help the matter either. I was loading some bullets for my 30-30 and noticed on the box the price was 21.99 for 100. I went on line and looked up the price and now they are going for 38.99 per 100 and I bought the original box last spring. I live in Canada so you think you guys are having it tuff, it is even worse up here, we get all the left overs. Price gouging is really bad here and if you can even find primers they are going for 45-50 bucks per 1000.

Nate1778
03-31-2009, 11:44 AM
I just bought a 1000 Winchester 209's yesterday at my local mom and pop shop. He had a few bricks of them and some other primers but I was not paying attention to what they were. I know there only had CCI and Winchester available. 1000 shotgun primers was $37. I use them for trap, the store clerk said there was a run on primers and basically buy what you think you'll use in the next few months as the prices are going to come back down. He said the same thing happened in the '90s and the price came back down dramatically. He had also mentioned that Wally World was kicking out some pretty bad ammo right now which has encouraged some to start rolling there own.

sargenv
03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
I went to one of my local clubs ona whim on the way back from somewhere to see what they had component wise. I was happy to see that they had some 209 primers, even if they were not Winchesters. They had Rio 209 primers in and I asked for 2 boxes (2000). I was fully expecting them to be $25-30/k, and was pleasantly surprised when he rung them up and with tax it was like $44. I had been looking for Cheddites, but apparently the Rio's are comparable. Works for me :)

Rocky Raab
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Recluse is spot on. I'd say that Pogo was right about the enemy too, but most here don't know Pogo.

I am disgusted by hoarders and their "Screw everybody but me" attitude. But I think they'll get their comeuppance.

This whole Obama scare thing can only end one of two ways. Either the whole scare is overblown and nothing much will change with guns and shooting (as I fervently hope), or
the Halfrican Tyrant will ban all guns, and all shooting, and the possession of ammunition.

Either way, hoarders will be royally screwed. They'll either have crates of stuff they paid through the nose to get when supply floods and prices drop to nothing, or they'll be staring at crates of stuff they cannot use, can't get rid of and which carries a crime count per box.

Let the hoarders brag and smirk now, because they won't be for long.

oldoak2000
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
maybe we'll have to start 'reloading' primers as well, too . . .:mrgreen:

johnly
03-31-2009, 12:07 PM
I remember the "primer shortage" of the 90's and had some good contacts that allowed me to get a supply to weather storm. Lesson learned... Never again.

Following BO's election, and before week's end I had an order into Graf's for a case of each size and the pickings were already getting thin. I still stumble on to a deal from time to time, as just last weekend I purchased a case of CCI 400 and a case of CCI 550 primers for a total of $270. Normally $27 a thousand wouldn't get me excited, but who knows how long we're going to have to endure the crap coming from inside the beltway.

Recluse
03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Either way, hoarders will be royally screwed. They'll either have crates of stuff they paid through the nose to get when supply floods and prices drop to nothing, or they'll be staring at crates of stuff they cannot use, can't get rid of and which carries a crime count per box.

Let the hoarders brag and smirk now, because they won't be for long.

Gotta respectfully disagree with you.

In the shooting and reloading world, components are like currency. I could have, say, 250,000 primers of various makes and applications on hand (which I don't, trust me) and Messiah Hussein could develop severe food poisoning next month and assume Chicago street temperature.

That would ascend Joe Biden to the Presidency. Joe Biden is rabidly anti-gun and is one of Sarah Brady's best pals. Biden doesn't even TRY to hide his anti-gun bias. Plus, this would be the intellectually retarded one, Pelosi, as VP.

See where this is going?

They can make possession of primers, powder, guns, holsters, pictures of guns, wheel weights, etc, a crime all they want. I ain't giving mine up. Period. Like you, I swore an oath to the Constitution, not the constipated.

Lots of stuff could dry up instantly. I may be short on powder, but long on primers. Guarantee you I'll find someone long on powder, but short on primers. Or boolits or lead or cleaning supplies or spare parts or even firearms themselves.

Also not sure what amount people consider "hoarding." I've always tried to maintain a backstock of around 25K, but I shoot a LOT and I can go through that 25K in less than eighteen months to two years easily. So what might be considered "hoarding" to one is only "inventory" to another.

Rocky Raab
03-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Well, if it's illegal to possess, and you get caught possessing, you'll go to jail for it. Last I heard, they don't allow you to take guns and ammo with you to prison, so it won't do you much good.

My own personal (YMMV) guide is that two years of components at your usual shooting rate is normal. A bit more than that might be prudent. Lots more than that is hoarding. The exact numbers will vary depending on your normal rate of shooting.

I most sincerely hope that NONE of this comes to pass. If it does, I am both ready and willing to stand by my oath. That's all I need to say, I think.

exile
03-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Hoarding. What does that mean? My guess would be that a lot of people who are complaining about hoarding have tons of other stuff that they are hoarding (money, cars, etc.,) while some of us who are concerned about primers have none of that stuff. To each his own.

I have a friend who has been buying semi-auto rifles for the last fifteen years. That is his thing. I have bought none. I dearly wish I had not passed up a used Colt H-bar for $ 750.00 ten years ago but I did. I could kick myself. On the other hand my friend has no reloading equipment. So who is the hoarder, me or him? I also have friends with several cases of 7.62 x 39 ammo. Are they hoarding. Not in my estimation but I wish I had bought the stuff when it was $ 100.00 a case. Or SKS's when they were $ 50.00. .22 ammo when it was cheap. Or the one that hurts me the most, a Swedish Mauser when they were cheap. Wish I had but I did not.

I don't have that many primers. As much as I can afford. I am not buying them to sell. When I run out of primers I am done shooting. I don't enjoy shooting factory ammo regardless of the price. Personally I think all of this stuff will be illegal, so I am not buying anything I don't consider very important.

Anyway, my point is I dislike the term "hoarder" being applied to someone with reloading equipment but not to someone with a vacation home they don't use or six cars they don't drive. My single-stage press cost $ 59.99. I get a lot of use and joy from it. Even using a single-stage press I used 400 primers in one day. That is a lot for me. So primers are important to me. And that is o.k.

exile

Rocky Raab
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't think it is particularly helpful or enlightening to expand the discussion to non-shooting topics, so let's agree to not do so, please?

As I said, keeping a reasonable inventory based on your normal amount of shooting is smart. Having a little bit extra on hand might also be a good idea. I have absolutely no problem with being prudent.

What I object to are the guys who brag about having tens of thousand of every kind of primer on hand, and who actively buy up all they can atop that. There are folks who buy entire deliveries of components right off a store's delivery dock. I think greed of any kind is despicable, including this kind.

Jon
03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
At the gunshow in Lewiston last w/e the place was packed. Elbow to elbow. Sardines. One table had one case of Win LR's and 209's. All priced at $36/M. They were about gone when I got there.
One other table had 5 cans of powder, 2-AA5's, 1-WW760, and a couple of other AA's I don't know about. Each tagged at $18. In 2 hrs time the powder never moved. The way it was displayed I believe that not many saw it. If I had been employed I'd have bought it on speculation.
Prices in general were noticeably higher than last Oct.'s gunshow. All dealers that I spoke with were in good humor as they were moving product. OTD!!
Pepe Ray

I was there last saturday, and the guy with the primers was cleaned out in about 30 min. I picked up some small and large pistol primers, but probably should have bought more.

MattMore
03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
I agree with Rocky. It's one thing to buy and have as much as you need and then a little more, but all the guys with 100,000s of primers and still going! It's ridiculous! I am a new reloader and I have been trying to buy my first primers for the past month and can't find em. I go to every store within 100miles of me, I call non stop. But it seems like there sold before the truck gets to the store! I know there is someone around me that has more than he'll use in his lifetime.[smilie=1:

Recluse
03-31-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't think it is particularly helpful or enlightening to expand the discussion to non-shooting topics, so let's agree to not do so, please?

As I said, keeping a reasonable inventory based on your normal amount of shooting is smart. Having a little bit extra on hand might also be a good idea. I have absolutely no problem with being prudent.

What I object to are the guys who brag about having tens of thousand of every kind of primer on hand, and who actively buy up all they can atop that. There are folks who buy entire deliveries of components right off a store's delivery dock. I think greed of any kind is despicable, including this kind.

Well Rocky, who are you to decide if I have too many primers--or guns or anything else, for that matter?

So long as I have the money and ability, and I use what I buy, frankly speaking, it's none of your (expletive deleted) business HOW MUCH or HOW LITTLE I buy, own, shop for, or wish to have.

Period.

Sounds like you want "controls" on how much people can buy or not buy or own or not own based upon what "others need or don't have." Jesu de Cristo! The country just elected a socialist dictator who spouted that same philosophy. As gun owners, we decry the "one gun a month" legislation that tries to get passed. We get all panicky about the proposed "arsenal taxes" that get introduced.

Now we have a political party IN POWER who have the ABILITY to make those very things HAPPEN! And you wonder why people are buying up and stockpiling as much as they can?

Lemme tell you something about boolit casters. We're fiercely indepdent, hugely self-reliant and we make fantastic friends and fearsome enemies. If you're gonna come over here and in less than two months start telling folks what they should and should not do in regards to "how much is enough," I'm telling you that you came to the wrong place.

Instead of primers, substitute "wheelweights" or "lead" or "gas checks" and see what kind of response you get from folks when it comes to stockpiling. . .

44mag1
03-31-2009, 02:00 PM

This is a great point. we have bullet swaging tools why not make our own primers?

Screwbolts
03-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Well Rocky, who are you to decide if I have too many primers--or guns or anything else, for that matter?

So long as I have the money and ability, and I use what I buy, frankly speaking, it's none of your (expletive deleted) business HOW MUCH or HOW LITTLE I buy, own, shop for, or wish to have.

Period.

Sounds like you want "controls" on how much people can buy or not buy or own or not own based upon what "others need or don't have." Jesu de Cristo! The country just elected a socialist dictator who spouted that same philosophy. As gun owners, we decry the "one gun a month" legislation that tries to get passed. We get all panicky about the proposed "arsenal taxes" that get introduced.

Now we have a political party IN POWER who have the ABILITY to make those very things HAPPEN! And you wonder why people are buying up and stockpiling as much as they can?

Lemme tell you something about boolit casters. We're fiercely indepdent, hugely self-reliant and we make fantastic friends and fiersome enemies. If you're gonna come over here and in less than two months start telling folks what they should and should not do in regards to "how much is enough," I'm telling you that you came to the wrong place.

Substitute "primers" for "wheelweights" or "lead" or "gas checks" and see what kind of response you get from folks when it comes to stockpiling. . .

I couldn't agree more!!! I have 2 brothers that I started telling then to start stocking up two years ago, they sat on their thumbs now are trying to catch up. I started stocking up 2 yrs ago!!!:castmine:

Ken
Central NY

oldhickory
03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
This is a great point. we have bullet swaging tools why not make our own primers?

In reality I don't think it would be that difficult.

Old Ironsights
03-31-2009, 02:17 PM
If you look at the instructions in the FM on how to "remanufacture" expended primers, you can see that all you really need is a cup punch, an anvil die, and a decent chemist...

oldhickory
03-31-2009, 02:31 PM
If you look at the instructions in the FM on how to "remanufacture" expended primers, you can see that all you really need is a cup punch, an anvil die, and a decent chemist...

I think I would attempt to reuse the anvils.

TDC
03-31-2009, 02:34 PM

We have our own non-mainstream source of gas checks ..... why not primers? Anybody out there want to tackle the production of primers?

What a perfect opportunity for a new "start-up" company if a person has the expertise. I think this board alone could keep a manufacturer busy for years..

Old Ironsights
03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
I think I would attempt to reuse the anvils.

Well, yeah, you do if you are "rebuilding" them according to FM. But I'm talking about making new...

870TC
03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
I talked to a friend of mine that works at Federal, I've been in the same gun club with him for years. I trust what he tells Me.
He says, "Employee purchases of primers were cutoff 3 years ago". " Federal has laid off a few workers recently but the primer area is going at full steam". Also said "Federal is in the AMMO business not the component business." "They only sell the extra components that they don't need to make there own ammo."

archmaker
03-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Reference to CCI laying off 30 people.

I did some surfing on the net, and found two word for word post on other forums, that stated a "Salesman at Sportsman Warehouse stated that some people were laid off on the primer line"

These were posted by the same person on March 8th on two different forums. The members on those forums questioned the validity of the salesman, and let's face it, the company filed for BK 14 days after the comment hit the forums.

So IMHO take that comment with a lot of salt :)

snaggdit
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
OK, so I just emptied my workshop garbage this morning. A few days ago, I partially unbolted my Lee Pro 1000 and removed the buildup of old primers, probably several thousand (into the garbage). Do I need to go dumpster diving?

jcwit
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Just got off the phone with Winchester and ATK within the last hour. The question I put to each company was what quanity of primers were shipped during the months of Feb and March for cilivan consumption.. Neither company would give me that info in an actual number but both companies stated that their primer lines are running 24/7 during the months stated. Also they both stated they are shipping all they produce asap and quanities are in the millions.

So there you are folks, straight from the horses mouth.
Hope we never have a sitiuation like this with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

TDC
03-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Reference to CCI laying off 30 people.

I did some surfing on the net, and found two word for word post on other forums, that stated a "Salesman at Sportsman Warehouse stated that some people were laid off on the primer line"

These were posted by the same person on March 8th on two different forums. The members on those forums questioned the validity of the salesman, and let's face it, the company filed for BK 14 days after the comment hit the forums.

So IMHO take that comment with a lot of salt :)

This and other rumors are sure to become more prevalent as time goes on. The strange thing is the lack of confirmation or denial of these rumors makes one wonder. Assumptions made from blog reports can be as speculative and misleading as any other source.

Long existing chain stores like BiMart in Oregon haven't gotten more than about a few bricks of primers a month for the last three months. Their stores allocate purchases to 100 primers per person per visit, so a case can't be made for one person buying up all their inventory. There just aren't any primers around.....

Some places somewhere are getting all the production .... if ..... they are being produced at 100%+ capacity as some state. If there was an abundance of primers somewhere members of this vastly spread out board would discover it and we would hear about it... Everyone seems to be reporting the same shortages everywhere so something is wrong.

oldhickory
03-31-2009, 03:37 PM
I still don't have a problem getting primers here in central Pa. Cost is up, $22.00-$30.00 per 1000 depending on what you want, but no shortage at my local gunshop.

Jeffery8mm
03-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally quoted by Recluse
"Lemme tell you something about boolit casters. We're fiercely indepdent, hugely self-reliant and we make fantastic friends and fearsome enemies. If you're gonna come over here and in less than two months start telling folks what they should and should not do in regards to "how much is enough," I'm telling you that you came to the wrong place."

I would be hard pressed to better describe this group of great folks. VERY well spoken sir.
Jeff

Rick459
03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
if civil war or unrest breaks out here in the U.S.A. this topic of hoarding will be a moot point...

Rick

Rocky Raab
03-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Recluse, my friend. Where and when did I say how many or how much of anything you could own? I didn't.

I explained why a limited supply cannot keep up with unlimited demand. The reason was and is hoarding, plain and simple. Please count the number of posts here in which people have said they are buying all they can find, and are encouraging others to do the same. Is that NOT hoarding? If not, what the heck is the difference?

I don't think I said anything that would anger anyone with a clear conscience. Perhaps that last is the key, but it's not my doing.

Green Frog
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
One man's basic supply is another man's infinite supply, it depends on how much you shoot. Since I can only get out to about 3-5 major matches a year plus my very modest amount of practice, I shoot perhaps 2000 rounds total, about half LR and the other SR. When I was shooting PPC actively I was shooting that much about every few months, and that was when SP primers dried up the last time!. Consequently, I try to have a year's needs covered in the Spring when the shooting season starts, and perhaps a few more. :coffee: I need to be able to relax and think of other things at mid-season than tracking down primers 200 at a time for a weekend shoot... even when they are "easy" to find. [smilie=2: Gas is expensive and time is valuable!

Buying a year's supply (or two) of the primers (or any other limiting component) one will use for their favorite activity is only prudent. Buying a 10 year supply with no real plan to use them, or on speculation that they will become valuable to resell does smack of another thing... it's sometimes called investing, but you can argue whether that is pure capitalism, opportunism, or just plain piggish behavior and no two of us are likely to completely agree, but it is still a free country, at least until the next round of bailouts and buyouts! :roll:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Froggie :mrgreen:

Rusty Bore
03-31-2009, 06:25 PM
I just have to jump in here a make a comment or two.

I live up in Central Oregon and we have far more than a primer problem. I have been to the Nozler factory in Bend and they just don't have anything available. Their Pro-Shop has always been my supplier of all my reloading stuff, Last week when I was there, they didn't have any rifle or pistol powder, brass, bullets or primers. I don't believe they ever did shotgun stuff.

What I was told by their staff is that some large brokers have placed mega orders for all major reloading products and that much of it is going outside our country. to major ammunition brokers.

I was able to get some powder and primers when I went to Mexico in January. I paid extra to have it delivered on the U. S. side of the border. Large rifle primers were $51.00 per M and IMR powder was $36.00 a pound in U.S. $s.

Good luck friends and I don't think this has anything to do with Republicans or Democrates. I think it has everything to do with China.

Just to let you know, there isn't any loaded amunition available here either.

Rusty Bore :veryconfu

oldtoolsniper
03-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Prior planning VS no planning.... Hmmmm

Catshooter
03-31-2009, 07:40 PM
I feel sorry for new reloaders.

For all the others . . . I agree with oldtoolsniper.

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I've allways stocked as much as I could afford. A couple of months before the Clinton primer scare (may he rot in hell) I had just taken delivery of 20,000 primers.

I can't understand why someone wouldn't stock, I really can't. If some think that's "hoarding" and just not fair, well, what can I say.

There are a couple of guys local to me that were needing primers and I just gave them a brick each. They do normally stock, but their means are limited and I have plenty, so what the hell.

Fact is, I think that this situation is going to continue for at least the rest of this year. So, if you see it, buy it. :)

Cat

wildwes
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
I feel sorry for new reloaders.

For all the others . . . I agree with oldtoolsniper.

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I've allways stocked as much as I could afford. A couple of months before the Clinton primer scare (may he rot in hell) I had just taken delivery of 20,000 primers.

I can't understand why someone wouldn't stock, I really can't. If some think that's "hoarding" and just not fair, well, what can I say.

There are a couple of guys local to me that were needing primers and I just gave them a brick each. They do normally stock, but their means are limited and I have plenty, so what the hell.

Fact is, I think that this situation is going to continue for at least the rest of this year. So, if you see it, buy it. :)

Cat

Well, I am pitifully low on primers, as well as some of the powders that I use a lot, and I hate to say that, but it's true. I have maybe 4K or 5K of small pistol, but only maybe 200 or 300 large pistol, maybe 400 small pistol, and about 500 large rifle, and maybe 1500 shotgun primers. Thankfully I can still find primers for everything without too much trouble at the local shops, but I can't afford them. I try to buy as much as I can afford of components, but being in college my funds are really, really limited. As soon as I get a chance I need to buy some more though, as much as I can afford. The only reason I don't stockpile stuff is because I can't afford to most of the time. :cry:

geargnasher
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM
if civil war or unrest breaks out here in the U.S.A. this topic of hoarding will be a moot point...

Rick

Amen. I live near the Mexican border, drug traffic and mexican National immigration to this area is going berserk. Seems everyone who can afford to get out is coming over here to get away from the impending collapse of their "government". What really scares me is what could happen later if it does collapse and the starving, desperate hordes of peasants overflow and start robbing and stealing in large groups. I am preparing for a practical defense of my home from such an attack and am HOARDING, HOARDING, HOARDING and LOADING, LOADING, LOADING until I feel my wife and I won't run out of ammo anytime soon. I'll be damned if anyone in Washington or anywhere else will disarm ME while they leave my National borders WIDE OPEN, and I'll drop hammer on ANYONE who tries to deprive me of my constitutionally guaranteed rights to defend myself as an otherwise peaceful, law-abiding, tax-paying, land-owning, patriotic American.

jcwit
03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
I know where you're coming from but in all reality dropping the hammer with the situtation we now seem to have will only result in a armed confrontation with Government forces. And not supporting them in any way but we all know where that got Randy Weaver and David Koresh. When the guy comes with the big guns the little guy loses out.

Enough of this Civil War talk, we did that 140 years ago and some wounds have yet to heal.

geargnasher
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM
I know where you're coming from but in all reality dropping the hammer with the situtation we now seem to have will only result in a armed confrontation with Government forces. And not supporting them in any way but we all know where that got Randy Weaver and David Koresh. When the guy comes with the big guns the little guy loses out.

Enough of this Civil War talk, we did that 140 years ago and some wounds have yet to heal.

If the people you are referring to come to my door and ask for my guns, I will deny I have any and ask them to leave. If they attempt to force me in any way they will discover that I lied and they will get my guns and anything else they want, but they will get my boolits first, as many as I can give them before their forces overpower mine. I'm not a Branch Davidian nor am I any kind of a "militia" rambo nutcase, Just an honest citizen who enjoys shooting sports and being free in a civilized society, and generally minds his own business, but I do have my principles and things I absolutely will not yield on and if I'm in the news someday, you can blame it on all the primers I got at a gunshow in March 2009!:Fire:

jcwit
03-31-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry if you took my comment as meaning or implying you are a Branch Davidian or rambo nut case, did not mean that at all. Just pointing out you're on the losing end from the very beginning. Personally I would rather live to fight another day rather than going out in a blaze of glory, in a no win situtation.

Years ago there was a saying; Better dead than red or better red than dead. The first gets nowhere the second gives one a chance as shown in recent history with the Berlin Wall coming down.

Remember most people also have a family to consider, what about the wife and kids?

With all this being said lets get back to the primer situtation, as the mfg. are running 24/7 production.

DeepSouth
03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm deepsouth and I'm a hoarder and I like it!

softpoint
03-31-2009, 11:42 PM
When (hopefully,never) someone comes to your door asking for your firearms and ammo, you have already given up far more than just your gun rights.
I probably have enough stashed away to last me the rest of my life. I may have to conserve a little bit as the years go by if the supply situation continues to be slow, But I am only a few years away from retirement, and I have been stocking up on shooting supplies just so I wouldn't have to buy as many after my income was more limited.
While the election had little to do with me stocking up on shooting supplies, it did have a lot to do with me storing fuel, water and food to last several months. If the economy really does tank in this country, there are going to be problems on a scale that the world has never known. Hundreds of thousands of people have already become unemployed in the last few months. Unlike many other nations, very few people grow any of thier own food. Trucks have to distribute the food from a limited number of large distributors.
Anyway, most of the good folks on this forum can see what "could" happen, We all hope it doesn't, but it can't hurt to prepare a little ahead if you can afford it.
IMHO

Kawfeegod
03-31-2009, 11:48 PM
I am not having too much difficulty getting primers here in E. WA. The trick is to find a store neat where you live, work, get gas, whatever and stop EVERY day. I have bought probably 10K of my various needed sizes this way in the last 2 months. Most times I stop, nothing. Some times, the primer god smiles upon me (must have been the goat sacrafice) I am however a courteous horder ( yes, stocking up for ...) I only buy one or two bricks and make sure I leave some for others. Powder is the same way. I have noticed that some stores are now starting to limit purchases on primers and ammo.

snaggdit
04-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I am however a courteous horder ( yes, stocking up for ...) I only buy one or two bricks and make sure I leave some for others. Powder is the same way.

That's how I feel, too. If there is only 1, I will take it. My good luck. If there are 3 bricks, I will only take 1 (per size I need, that is...). Leave some for the next guy. I never take the last piece of pizza, either. Those folks who come in as the shelves are being stocked and take the whole shebang are greedy. I know, the next guy may grab it all anyway, but I can't help that. My karma is good.

hammerhead357
04-01-2009, 06:03 AM
Well why the hell is it if you are saving money by buying savings bonds or stocks or IRAs and have a lot more than you can use in two or three years time you are being prudent, but if you are buying primers, brass, bullets, or guns you are hoarding?????
This just doesn't make sense to me... I hope to pass on several things to my children and I still have two at home... But I want to be able to pass on my reloading and shooting equipment as well as any amount of money that I have managed to save.
Yes I may have more primers and such than I can shoot in one or two years but I plan on passing it on to my heirs. I think the money savers (hoarders) plan on doing that exact same thing....So what is wrong with my plan?????????Wes

felix
04-01-2009, 11:36 AM
What is wrong with the plan? Your heirs could care less. The assumption is that they were set by you into a position of knowing who their Boss is, and they are following His plan, knowingly or not, to the best of their ability as provided by the Boss and encouraged by you. ... felix

BABore
04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
I was just poking around on Gun Broker. There is 378 listings for primers. Most start at $40 per 1000. Some types are being bid up to $70+ per 1000. Seems some are hoarding for a different reason.[smilie=1::roll:

archmaker
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
My problem on having enough primers, is I thought I had enough to keep me happy for a long time, as I do not shoot like I used to. For a guy that shoots just enough to hunt, and do a little shooting to keep sharp, a few hundred a year was all I needed.

Then the economy went south and I got worried that my points on my work credit card might disappear, as I heard other cards doing this. Cashed my points in for what I could get which was $450 of Bass Pro gift cards.

Bought a 45, and now . . . I do not have enough primers, of the right size. :) Lead, mold, powder, brass - yes, but the primers are the ones that is slowing down my shooting right now.

Hopefully, I can stretch this out for a while also. I just picked a bad time to get back into competative shooting. :)

Down South
04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I don’t really think of myself as a hoarder but I would buy a few more K primers if I could find them at a reasonable price. The problem is there are hardly any to be found. I stocked up on all of the components that I needed last summer assuming something like this would happen if the election went south. Now I wonder if I bought enough.
I like to target shoot and I can go through 1K of primers pretty quick. I guess my thinking will have to change, at least till this component shortage is over with. I’ll have to do more conserving and less target shooting.
I feel sorry for new reloaders too. I have a buddy who had asked me to help him put a list of equipment together so that he could start reloading. I gladly agreed to help out but I gave him the sad news that primers and even some powders were almost nonexistent.

I do believe right now the shortages are mainly due to panic buying. When the panic buying starts slowing down then I believe we will start seeing primers and other components easily available. The problem is that no one knows when the panic buying will cease. Will it be this year or next year? I’ve got enough stuff to last a couple years if I conserve.

mtgrs737
04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Well why the hell is it if you are saving money by buying savings bonds or stocks or IRAs and have a lot more than you can use in two or three years time you are being prudent, but if you are buying primers, brass, bullets, or guns you are hoarding?????
This just doesn't make sense to me... I hope to pass on several things to my children and I still have two at home... But I want to be able to pass on my reloading and shooting equipment as well as any amount of money that I have managed to save.
Yes I may have more primers and such than I can shoot in one or two years but I plan on passing it on to my heirs. I think the money savers (hoarders) plan on doing that exact same thing....So what is wrong with my plan?????????Wes

I believe that the term "Hoarding" was coined by those whom did not foresee the future enough to lay in a stock of the items being Hoarded and now want to whine about it. IMHO

Been there done that! LOL!

waksupi
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, we try to put some food away in storage. We try to make some money, so we can retire when we are older. I can see stocking up with our toys so we have some when we are older, too!

par0thead151
04-01-2009, 03:02 PM
i dont hoard.. i have enough to shot as much as i want throughout my lifetime
anyone who buys on the JIT(just in time) system has no reason to bitch about not buying them cheap and stacking them deep.
my buddy just got a dillon 650 and he is shocked at the lack of components, and even more so when i show him prices from 2 years ago and then 10 years ago...

TDC
04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
The problem is that no one knows when the panic buying will cease. Will it be this year or next year? I’ve got enough stuff to last a couple years if I conserve.

Further complicating these shortages is another aspect many haven't considered.... We on this board, and other reloading/shooting boards, have had the advantage of recognizing these shortages earlier than others.

Many, many people are JUST NOW, after about three months of seriously declining inventories, getting the message primers and most all other critical components are in very short supply.

Increasing numbers of people seeking these products are going to multiply many times over as they join those of us already seeking needed items essential to our sport.

I may be dead wrong, but I'm becoming convinced we're looking at a year or more, perhaps 2 before we can hope to see an easing of supplies. And then, only if politics or some unforeseen international conflict doesn't enter the equation

I believe we should quit bickering over what is proper procedure for buying essential materials and accept the reality we'll always need to keep, on hand, a large supply of those essential items we must have to enjoy our sport.

If you can't see the logic in this after experiencing these current shortages you haven't been paying attention...

JMHO....

TC

MattMore
04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
As I'm a new reloader, I didn't know that is was difficult to get components. But patience is a virtue, and I have just about everything I need. Most of which was on backorder. But primers are still a difficulty. I don't care who hoards what with who, I just want to be able to do what I like and use what I paid good money for.

jdgabbard
04-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I have plenty for what I do. I just got another 130# in WWs, I already have about 20+ pounds of Pistol Powder that I use often. I've got well over 5K small pistol primers. I have a ready supply of brass. And I've already got bunches of boolits cast up. I'm good for a while. If nothing else, I'll back off shooting a little and step up on buying what I see.

BTW, there are no REAL shortages here.

Freightman
04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
If the person is a new loader I feel for him or her, if an experienced loader with the means to have stocked up and didn't TBSS, if an experienced loader that through no fault of there own like medical bills for you or your wife and the medical establishment took all your money I do feel sorry for you as that is the position I find myself in. We don't need to lump everyone in the "stupid" class that saw this coming but didn't stock up, I have sufficient primers, not an over abundance but medical bill needed to be paid first so I didn't get to buy as much as I wanted or needed to but to call everyone "stupid" is kinda harsh in my book.
By the way you will never hear me gripe about something, or someone in a public forum.
If I have a gripe with someone or a Co. I will let them know about it just me and them. To call someone a "horder" or "not to bright" is prying into there business. I would have been classed in the Hording class if my wife hadn't got sick.
Said all this to say do not complain about or call him names until you have been there.
If I go to a gun shop that has any primers and I have the money I will get them all. I was first in line. That is how business works and if we want controls on things remember wage freezes, price freezes of the 70's didn't work then will not work now.

codgerville@zianet.com
04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Freightman, I agree with you. I bought all I could afford at the time. I would have bought up whatever I could find if I had the cash. Call me a " hoarder " if they wish, but the people calling me that have hoarded more than I. Are they maybe planning on a little profit making? I am not.

Down South
04-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Are they maybe planning on a little profit making? I am not. Me either. I plan on being able to use what I have stored back. I wish that I had stored a little more back due to what prices are at now compared to what the prices were when I made my bulk orders. If my primer needs were less it would have helped a lot. I use SP, SPM, LP, LPM, LR and LRM primers. So I bought accordingly. I tried to buy more of what I use the most of but like most money plays a factor on the quantity of what I could reasonably afford. I guess I’m one that can say I’m large on some primers and small on others. I’ve got plenty of powder so I’m good in that department.

DeepSouth
04-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Order 5,000 more large rifle CCI from Grafs this morning.The lady I placed the orde with said in about a month I get them.Also ordered 5lb of rl7,200 ppu 762x39 brass,some of the new hornandy sst bullets for 762x39 and 3 different die sets.Lady said it would be a bit but I would get them.I don't mind waiting.Like I said I was a behind the curve on the reloading deal,started last summer.Wish I had started a long time ago.

wilddog45
04-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I just hope jo-bama don't try some backdoor disarmament scheme. Reloading and casting boolits is fun and is an American Tradition and should be protected by the 2nd amendment.

rhead
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Order 5,000 more large rifle CCI from Grafs this morning.The lady I placed the orde with said in about a month I get them.Also ordered 5lb of rl7,200 ppu 762x39 brass,some of the new hornandy sst bullets for 762x39 and 3 different die sets.Lady said it would be a bit but I would get them.I don't mind waiting.Like I said I was a behind the curve on the reloading deal,started last summer.Wish I had started a long time ago.

Everybody starts out behind the curve. I got my first Lee Loader in 1965. I'm still learning. Put back the cash as you can spare it, When you open a can of powder buy two, or a pound and a few flats of primers. open a brick of primers, get a brick and a few flats or something else. always try to replace what you use with a little more than you used until you get your inventory to a comfortable level.
Don't let yourself get frustrated by outside conditions. Just decideif you can fix it or learn to cope with it then do it.

whisler
04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I once read someone's reasoning for storing up food for bad times, and it made a lot of sense. He basically said I am not hoarding. If times go bad, at least you won't see me and my six kids in front of you in the soup line. If things don't go bad, I can eat up what I have and won't be standing in line in front of you in the grocery store. I see the same situation with powder and primers. In desperate times you won't have to compete with me to buy limited supplies and if times straighten out, you wont have me in line in front of you to buy what is there.

Catshooter
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Dead right whisler.

You won't find me buying the supplies you need. I sure didn't stock up to make a profit, I stocked up because that's the way I think. The only way I'd sell any is in a desperate circumstance.

If we're lucky, this will come to a calm end sometime next year. Maybe. But I wouldn't count on it.

If you see it, buy it.

Cat

hammerhead357
04-04-2009, 01:11 AM
felix in my post number 93 on this thread I was really not asking what was wrong with my plan but why is it that what I am doing makes me bad for trying to do something for my children... Sorry if I took your comments wrong. I am trying to keep my children in shooting componets for years to come. So if I buy large amounts does that make me bad??????Wes

Wills Point Pete
04-04-2009, 02:59 AM
The worst of this round of shortages may be ending. I dropped by my component store and they had Remington, CCI and Mag Tech primers in Large Pistol, Winchesters in Large Rifle, plus several others.

Now the Remingtons were up to thirty-eight bucks a thousand, up eleven bucks in a month or so. Still, the last time I was in, they'd only sell rifle primers with bullets, buy a hundred bullets, they'd sell you a hundred primers. Now they'll sell as many primers as your pocketbook could swing.

I'm told that a big part of the ammo and primer shortage is that police departments are stocking way up, as well as shooting a lot more. Having seen a lot of bluesuits that can't hit a barn from the inside, that's not such a bad thing.

As far as hoarding, I shoot Cowboy Action, it takes right around 150 primers for one shoot, we have two SASS shoots per month, plus two NCOWS shoots. I only wish I could hoard. I've had to skip shoots due to lack of components.

bisleyfan41
04-04-2009, 08:45 PM
I believe that the term "Hoarding" was coined by those whom did not foresee the future enough to lay in a stock of the items being Hoarded and now want to whine about it. IMHO

AMEN brother.
Right now this is still a free country and if I want to buy 5 million primers and throw them into the Atlantic Ocean, I will. It's my money, my property and I'll buy all I can of whatever I want and do with it what I want. I don't have to justify my purchases of whatever or how intend to use it to anybody. My reason is because I can. Get a life. I'm tired of all the whiners who can't do for themselves, try to burden and guilt everyone else with their misery. Go find the components you need instead of ##### and crying about it.

Catshooter
04-04-2009, 11:26 PM
AMEN brother.
Right now this is still a semi - free country and if I want to buy 5 million primers and throw them into the Atlantic Ocean, I will. It's my money, my property and I'll buy all I can of whatever I want and do with it what I want. I don't have to justify my purchases of whatever or how intend to use it to anybody. My reason is because I can. Get a life. I'm tired of all the whiners who can't do for themselves, try to burden and guilt everyone else with their misery. Go find the components you need instead of ###### and crying about it.

Fixed it for ya. Other than that, I agree 100% with ya.

Cat

jcwit
04-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Man I'm glad some of the posters here aren't in charge of funds for the needy or people who really need help, with the selfish attidude they seem to have. In the end most will need help at some time of their life, lets hope they get better karma than they have here. After all its really not all about you.

BTW I'm not whining, no need to, just have a different attidude.

geargnasher
04-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Man I'm glad some of the posters here aren't in charge of funds for the needy or people who really need help, with the selfish attidude they seem to have. In the end most will need help at some time of their life, lets hope they get better karma than they have here. After all its really not all about you.

I disagree with the first part. The concept that a person's "need" gives them ANY rightious claim upon another person is what has gotten this country in deep poo to begin with. It is the single paradigm that has ruined many countries throughout history and we are scheduled to be the next unless we remember what Freedom, Capitalism, Liberty, Equality, Responsibility, Accountability, and Productivity MEAN. Charity doesn't build skyscrapers, coal mines, or automobiles. If you are down on your luck, you will reap what you have sown by those who know you and the content of your character.

That being said know also that I would war against those who would threaten your sovereign right to speak your opinion here or anywhere else.

Primer update: I'm still looking to replace what I shoot plus some, local supplies still backordered with no end in sight, went to a gunshow this morning and found none, very few components at all. Everything priced out of sight and not really selling.

jcwit
04-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Well try to get insurance after being a cancer surivor, believe me I know, they won't even look at you regarding health insurance.

Not whining again, just stating a fact, been there done that. So don't even try to tell me about never needing help or assistance. You're droped like a hot potato, right away and everything is preexisting.

Tell this to my neighbors that have lost all their income, health benifits, and other benifits because of the economy, our unemployment here is 20%. They also had to watch their IRA's tank.

As I said it not all about you, its about all of us. But what do I know as I'm a disabled Vet. past retirement age, and the older I get I'm bluntly informed just how little I really do know. With the way things are going this younger generation will learn much quicker than I had to.

What goes around comes around. And the Merry go round is picking up speed.

windrider919
04-05-2009, 01:02 AM
I don't have a hoard and only shoot maybe 100 rifle and 100 pistol a month. I usually keep about 400 primers on hand at a time. I knew that a lot of people would be scared at Obama's election but hoped we Americans would take it calmly. I wish I had a years supply but I probably won't because when the stores restock I won't be able to afford them because law of supply and demand in a hording situation. Maybe some guy with 25K primers (that he could not shoot up even in a war) will have pity on me and sell me a couple hundred so I can keep enjoying our hobby.

mtgrs737
04-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Never underestimate the ability of the Amercan manufacturing complex to step up to the demands of the American public. Give them a little time and they will make us proud!

I just got back from the Tulsa Arms Gun Show and I saw two tables with primmers. One table had five 1000rd boxes of small magnum rifle primers for $50 per 1000 the other had five 1000rd. boxes of Primers for $75 each! I don't remember what they where, but I just smilled and walked on.

Recluse
04-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Well try to get insurance after being a cancer surivor, believe me I know, they won't even look at you regarding health insurance.

Not whining again, just stating a fact, been there done that. So don't even try to tell me about never needing help or assistance. You're droped like a hot potato, right away and everything is preexisting.

Tell this to my neighbors that have lost all their income, health benifits, and other benifits because of the economy, our unemployment here is 20%. They also had to watch their IRA's tank.

As I said it not all about you, its about all of us. But what do I know as I'm a disabled Vet. past retirement age, and the older I get I'm bluntly informed just how little I really do know. With the way things are going this younger generation will learn much quicker than I had to.

What goes around comes around. And the Merry go round is picking up speed.

My wife has changed insurance policies two times after beating breast cancer. One of her friends has changed policies twice after beating ovarian cancer--which is hard and tough to do (beating the cancer).

Since the beginning of time, people have lost their jobs. But I grew up in a time when you planned and saved because the generation that raised me survived a TRUE recession--except it was called the Great Depression.

Credit cards? Uh-uh. No way. Financial heroin.

Financing everything under the sun with "90 days same as cash!" and "No interest for six months!" and other such traps. Good deals when you're working--killers when you ain't.

Having to always buy NEW, as in NEW car, NEW furniture, NEW appliances? Uh-uh. Get the most product you can for as little money as possible while fulfilling as much of your basic need as possible. That was the financial philosophy I grew up with. And it worked.

Only thing we have ever financed has been our home and two cars. When they were paid off, we continued making the same "car payments" to a savings account. Have done this for years. We take excellent care of our vehicles; drive them until they literally can be driven no more. Then we go buy a new car (new to us, never new off the lot) and we pay cash. But we continue to make those two monthly "car payments" every month to our car fund savings account.

We pay additional on our mortgage and set aside a percentage of the house payment each month. Something bad happens, we can make house payments for a long time.

Problem is, the way we live means doing without a lot of stuff because we refuse to live beyond our means and FUTURE means. We plan and we often plan for worst case scenarios. We don't rely on "funds or money for the needy" to help us. In fact, it's the other way around--we DONATE to several charities as well as to our church so as to help the needy.

And we're able to do it because unlike many others, we plan, we save, and we did without during our "banner career" years so that we could be secure in our later years regardless of which bunch of bozos were mismanaging the country.

And I'm supposed to feel guilty for that? For being able to buy 5K worth of primers whenever I want? For "hoarding?"

I don't think so.

And for what it's worth, I know a LOT of disabled vets. I've never seen one turned down by the VA for absolutely necessary healthcare. Maybe it's happened, but I've never seen it. If I wanted, I could get the VA to do my knee and shoulder replacement operations--and I'm not even listed as disabled on my 214.

You're probably right in being happy I'm not in charge of "funds for the needy." I see a lot of "needy" people who want me to make their $1500 mortgage payment because they don't want to downsize and get an affordable place--or sell, and move into an affordable apartment.

I see "needy" people who want me to make their car payments because they're too good to take the bus.

I see "needy" people who want me to pay for their cable television because "that the only entertainment they have" while they're unemployed. How about watching less TV and watching more "Help Wanted" ads and signs--or going out and finding odd jobs or day-labor jobs?

Basically, I see a lot of "needy" people who want me to help them get by because they don't want to make any serious sacrifices in their lifestyle during this "unfair economy."

But you know what I HAVEN'T seen? Haven't seen a truly needy person turned away from a food bank or a thrift store or a re-training center or a hospital for serious, endangering or life-threatening conditions.

Yes, good thing I'm not in charge of the money for "needy" people.

Rant off.

rbuck351
04-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Ok. I am a hoarder and have been hoarding for 40+ years. I hoard primers, powder,bullets, food, gasoline,tools and everything else I can think of to keep my family and I alive through troubled times. My thoughts are that if you can't take care of you and yours then you will be a drag on others and there resorces if you are to survive. I am willing to help others, but only those I choose. I will not list my supplies as I don't need BIG BROTHER helping me share with others. My supplies are not for sale but my be shared with those I choose. Call me anything you choose except unprepared.

madsenshooter
04-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Kicking myself in the butt! I rode about 10 miles today to the nearest gunshop, only rifle primers he had left was 4 or 5 packs of Rem 9 1/2M. Didn't need magnum primers I told myself, thought I had several packs. Wrong, only 2! Hey rbuck, you run into a retired Navy pilot by the name of Bruce James up your way, share with him, he saved my butt once by giving me some elk and deer. I'd quit a job and was going to eat some freshly run over squirrel, but Bruce's donation got me through to the next job. He's up your way somewhere, moved there from IN a couple years ago.

madcaster
04-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Not meaning to advertise any particular auction but look at Gunbroker and Auction Arms,some of the bids actually made for primers-MUCH more valueable than gold for the weight!:shock:

TDC
04-05-2009, 03:12 AM
What Recluse and rbuck351 said!!!:drinks:

rbuck351
04-05-2009, 03:46 AM
I am sorry I don't know Bruce James but he sounds like some one I would share with. Hope to meet him someday.

bisleyfan41
04-05-2009, 02:12 PM

For the record, I drive a truck for a living. But I also am the ministry director for a faith-based org dedicated to helping the homeless and near homeless in my area. I've run 2 emergency homeless shelters this past year alone with the help of over 630 volunteers. I, myself, drive full-time and still average about 25-30 VOLUNTEER hours EVERY WEEK. Our org has been very successful due in large part to God's blessings and grace. We do nothing but help others in need and do it cheerfully and passionately. I AM in charge of funds for the needy and I try to be a good steward of the resources God has entrusted to us.

I do what I do because I beleive it's what I've been called to do and God commands me to do, not because of something as idiotic as "karma". Doing something good means you do it expecting nothing in return, not like "karma" where a return for doing good is expected. Where the only reason for doing good is to get something in return for yourself. Talk about selfish...

waksupi
04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Let's try stating Karma a bit differently. It may translate into, "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you."

John Guedry
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Got a "sale" flyer from Natchez shooters supply for April/May 2009 and they say they have Win.,CCI, and Remington primers. Check it out page57.