PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Tang Sight on Puma 92

Farmall 1066
03-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Asked this question at the tail end of a thread last week and got no response, so thought I'd try a new thread.
I'm wanting to but a Marbles-type tang sight on my Puma 92 in .357, just to use for plinking. I was curious which model of Taurus tang sight you used.
With money being tight, and our hours cut at work, budget is a concern.
Thanks
Andy

Pepe Ray
03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Interesting !!
I've installed a Taurus Tang sight on mine and have stashed one on spec. Didn't know that there was more than one model from The Bull. Mine was originally ment for the .22 RF Pump. It fits my M92/.357Mag like it was made for it. The accompanying screws had to be swapped. No problem.
A great sight, copy of the Marbles. Adjustable wind & elev.

What would the other model be for? What does it resemble? Pictues?
Pepe Ray

NoDakJak
03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Taurus only advertises the one model. I purchased one to mount on my Taurus model 63 but ended up installing it on my Taurus Thunderbolt instead. It isn't a match grade sight but it certainly turned that rifle into a practical shooter. I was forced to use a wood screw into the tang for the front. I paid $29.95 for mine and consider this sight to be one of the best kept secrets out there. I want to get several more. Neil

Pepe Ray
03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Funny about secrets. I've been boosting these sights for several years. As soon as I learned about them and got one. Mentioned it at length on at least 3 sights, to guys specfically looking for sights. The chill was obvious. If it aint a Marbles it ain't worth consideration. So I got discouraged and shut my mouth. I was awakened when Farmall 1066 said there were 2 models. Thought I was asleep at the wheel.
Pepe Ray

Farmall 1066
03-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the responses, guys. If you go to the Taurus website, they show 4 models of tang sights. 2 blued, and 2 stainless. That accounts for 2 variations, but I'm wondering about the other 2. Is it difference in staff length? I can't discern the difference from the photo's, so perhaps a phone call to Taurus is in order.
Thanks,
Andy

Farmall 1066
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Called Taurus, and had to wait about 10 minutes on hold, they, like everyone else, are super busy. The difference is, one fits the 1890 clone, and the other fits the 63 clone. DUH! Near as I could figure, the one for the 1890 should work, so I ordered it. $38.75 to my door, in 7-10 days!:-D
Andy

Gee_Wizz01
04-13-2009, 12:00 AM
I just ordered two of them, if I like them I will order 2 more. Taurus said they are in stock. I want one for my Rossi 92 and my Thunderbolt and I could also use one on my Rossi 62. I hope it will work ok on my Thunderbolt, as it has the worst sights I have ever used.

G

Gee_Wizz01
04-14-2009, 07:04 PM
I just received my Taurus Tang sights. I ordered them Thursday and they came today (Tues). The good news is that they fit perfectly on my Thunderbolt. The rear tang screw that came with the sight is way to short, but I was able to get the screw that came with the rifle to engage about 3 or 4 threads. The front tang screw that came with the sight fits perfectly, now I just need to get to the range. The sight works great on the Rossi 92/Puma, but you have to drill and tap the front hole. That will be this weekends project. These sights aren't as nice as a Marbles, but I got 2 of them for $75 delivered, and I think they serve my requirements just fine.

G

Farmall 1066
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
When I ordered mine, they told me it couldn't ship until they were finished with their inventory. They billed my debit card about 5 days ago, so I expect it any day. Cant wait to try it out!
Andy

Gee_Wizz01
04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Andy

Hope you get yours soon, I live in N. Fl, so mine didn't have far to go. I surprised as it came by Fed-Ex. The down side is that I had to pay Fl sales tax. Good Luck with yours, I am hoping to get to the range on Friday to try mine out.

G

Hipshot
04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Can anyone list the web address for Taurus for me?

Thanx !
Hip

Gee_Wizz01
04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Here it is.

http://www.taurususa.com

G

Hipshot
04-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanx !!!

compass will
04-18-2009, 10:45 PM
wish I had read this thread last night. I bought a taurus tang sight for my Puma M92 today (for $20.00 more then you guys are talking).

I came here through a search engine, looking for what screws I need to buy to make it fit.
Front screw is wrong, rear screw is too short, original screw is too short.

Farmall 1066
04-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Mine arrived Thursday. Havent tried to mount it yet, need to order screws. I'm impressed with the quality so far.
Andy

Farmall 1066
04-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Mine arrived Thursday. Havent tried to mount it yet, need to order screws. I'm impressed with the quality so far.
Andy

John Boy
04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Tang Screw on Thunderbolt using M62 Taurus Tang Sight is from Brownell's. The head will have to be turned down and length shortened a tad
Tang Screw #12-28, 2.24" OAL $2.53
Call them because they changed the part number

compass will
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I figured this sight was made for the Taurus M62, and the long screw that came with it was to short for my Puma M92 (made by Rossi?).
So I ordered the Marbles 579-000-101 (brownells number?) which is made for the Rossi 1892.

Hope I am right.

Edit: I just checked my notes, The 579-000-101 is a 995002

Gee_Wizz01
04-20-2009, 07:38 PM
My Rossi is about 17 years old, so I don't know if they have changed thread, but I measured the tang screw and it appears to be an M5 x .8 thread. I cant be exact, because I dont have a metric pitch gage. I ordered a Marbles screw set #995002 which indicates is for a "New 1892". My old Puma is not drilled and tapped for a front tang sight screw. So I ordered a drill and tap. I bought my screw sets from Midway.

My Taurus Thunderbolt tang screw is a 12X28 for which a Marbles #995017 should be correct. The front sight screw from the Taurus sight fits perfectly on the Thunderbolt. I tried the Thunderbolt out with the tang sight and it cut my group size in half.

G

compass will
04-22-2009, 05:50 PM
The screws I bought from Brownells worked perfect.

Only problem is the hammer just hits against the forward screw and prevents the slide from going all the way back. It's just a hair, It's so close you can force it back.

I guess first I will try to hone the shouldered hole in the front of the tang sight just a little bit to see if I can get the screw to fit just a little bit lower.

Samdasham
05-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Help me if you will and I'll go ahead and apologize up front for listing to the dense side. I'm trying to cipher what I need and the more I read the more confused I become, if that's possible. I have a Thunderbolt and a new(06-07) model Rossi 92. One sight from Taurus fits the 63 and the other fits the 62 & the rest. http://www.taurususa.com/products/tangsight.cfm

MODEL # PART # ORDER #
62 M62-72-172 SIGHT 5-6273 Blue Steel $33
72 M62-72-172 SIGHT 5-6273 Blue Steel $33
172 M62-72-172 SIGHT 5-6273 Blue Steel $33
63 M63-SIGHT 5-6373 Blue Steel $33

So, I go with the 5-6273 for both the rifles.
Then there's the extra tang screws. I'm guessing that I need two but, I really don't know.

"Tang Screw #12-28, 2.24" OAL $2.53
Call them because they changed the part number"

Will I need one of these for the t-bolt and the 92?

Do I still need to order a set of Tang screws for each rifle?

Can I order one set of tang screws, split them between the two rifles and order two front tang screws?

I'd like to order all the pieces in one felled swoop. Did I mention I was confused?

Thanks

Samdasham
05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I ordered two sets of sights from Taurus and they were $34 apeice.

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang_info.html

The instructional video cleared the fog and was entertaining as well as informative.

Marble'sŪ Standard Peep Tang Sight

Maintenance/Part Number Information

Rossi 65 New 1892 995002

Taurus Thunderbolt C45 995001

Should the 357 T-bolt use the same screw set?

The front screws aren't length specific because they don't connect the upper and lower tang. They only connect the sight to the tang so the Taurus supplied front screw will work with the Puma 92 & thr T-bolt? Then all you need besides the Taurus screws is a longer back tang screw from Brownells or order the appropriate screw set from Brownells or Marbles? Brownells lists a set for the Rossi 65/92 but, none for the Taurus T-bolt.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/CheatSheet.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=552

compass will
06-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I know this thread is a little old.

I mounted it on the Puma 92, but only got around to sighting it in last Saturday. It worked great.

Then I put the gun in the hard plastic case, packed it and the other guns in the truck and went home.

Got home, opened the cases to put the rifles in the safe and I found the eye piece had broken off the sight leaving around 1/8" of threads on the eye piece. :(

Moral of the story, fold it down before putting the gun in the case.

Got to call Fla tomorrow and see if they will sell just the piece I broke.
Problem is the match is Saturday.

Samdasham
06-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I ordered two sets while waiting on credit to be approved. Ha! Joke's on me because the sights were but on a CC yet, I was flatly denied credit. I wasn't a happy camper and cancelled the order. I'll be ready w/the tang sights somewhere down the road. If ya don't mind and you have to order a whole unit from the Bull would yo post the cost including shipping? I haven't paid the CC just yet and I'm curious if they charged two seperate S&H for putting the two in the same box.

compass will
06-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I called them today, no parts are available. I must buy the whole sight.

I got to look it it closer tomorrow night to see if I can "mcgeiver" something.

Gee_Wizz01
06-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Compass Will, I have been wondering if a Marbles aperture will fit. I see Midway sells them separately, but I haven't seen any info that specifies the thread size and pitch. Also did you have any problem with the elevation? I mounted mine on my older Puma and it wasn't tall enough, it looked like I needed an extra 1/8".

G

compass will
06-11-2009, 07:19 AM
both the man at Taurus and my local dealer (cowboy action shop) had no idea if the Marbles part would fit.

No problems with height. My Puma is in 45 Colt. Shooting 250 grain with max book load of Clays, the sight was high enough I was hitting the life size (steel) chickens at 200 meters with the sight all the way up.

I did have a problem where the tip of the hammer was hitting on the front screw when loading. What I did was take a cutter I have and cut the screw seat just a little deeper in the tang sight, which let the hammer clear.

Samdasham
06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
$72.75 for two. 33 @ w/6.75 S&H for a 1lb Fed Ex ground that had the address changed from Salem to Salena and AR to AZ. Praise the lawd for zip codes. No telling who actually producs the sights but, I'm betting they used MM measurements..

fecmech
06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Compass Will, I have been wondering if a Marbles aperture will fit. I see Midway sells them separately, but I haven't seen any info that specifies the thread size and pitch. Also did you have any problem with the elevation? I mounted mine on my older Puma and it wasn't tall enough, it looked like I needed an extra 1/8".

G

The thread on the Taurus sight is 10-32, it is not the same as my Willams FP which I believe is somewhat standard. I just mounted the Taurus sight on a new Rossi 92 in .357. Plenty of elevation for .38 spl's out to 100 yds, don't know how much further. Two hundred yards would be no problem with magnum loads of 1500 fps+ Hope this helps.

Just checked the Brownells catalog and they say the Marbels takes a 10-32 thread so Marbles apertures will fit.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Take a care, gents. My Taurus tang sights (for the 63) have wobbly stems and th windage will change when going from the laid back position to upright and the reverse. The latter is easily fixed by holding and lifting simultaneously. I think the wobble can be taken care of with a dab of RTV. YMMV. BvT

fecmech
06-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Take a care, gents. My Taurus tang sights (for the 63) have wobbly stems and th windage will change when going from the laid back position to upright and the revese YMMV. BvT
I noticed that myself as I have both knobs marked with a spot of silver marker. That aside I think the sights offer an inexpensive way to try out tang sights and a lot of the Rossi 92's are already drilled and tapped for them.( The EMF guns come D&T'd my Braztech Rossi did not.)

uncowboy
06-22-2009, 07:25 AM
I ordered mine 2 weeks ago. Ordered Brownells tang screws for the Marbles/ I have the screws waiting on the sights. The guy at Taurus didn't want to sell me the sights because he said it won't work on the Rossie. I am wondering if he trashed the order? J.Michael

cajun shooter
06-22-2009, 09:15 AM
The front tang screw on the Rossi is a 10-32 but the rear is metric. I have two of these with the Marble's tang sights mounted. If you don't have the correct rear it will strip. Steve Young carries the correct rears for thye 92's.

WyrTwister
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I just received my Taurus Tang sights. I ordered them Thursday and they came today (Tues). The good news is that they fit perfectly on my Thunderbolt. The rear tang screw that came with the sight is way to short, but I was able to get the screw that came with the rifle to engage about 3 or 4 threads. The front tang screw that came with the sight fits perfectly, now I just need to get to the range. The sight works great on the Rossi 92/Puma, but you have to drill and tap the front hole. That will be this weekends project. These sights aren't as nice as a Marbles, but I got 2 of them for $75 delivered, and I think they serve my requirements just fine.

G

I am reluctant to drill and tap a rifle . I am wondering if it would be workable to only use one screw and Lock-Tite the base of the sight to the receiver tang ?

If you wanted to remove it at a latter date , you could heat it to melt the Lock-Tite .

God bless
Wyr

fecmech
07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
"I am reluctant to drill and tap a rifle . I am wondering if it would be workable to only use one screw and Lock-Tite the base of the sight to the receiver tang ?"

I think when you tighten the one screw you will leverage the front of the sight base up and pop your Locktite bond IMO.

PS. FWIW Just bought a new Braztech Rossi 24" Octagon .357 and it came D&T'd for the tang sight with an extra long screw to mount it with! Nice to see a company helping their customers. Now if they would just get rid of that damn 30" twist in the .357!