PDA

View Full Version : Another .454 Casull load question

yotatrd4x4
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
OK here we go. I am looking for some good recipes using Alliant 2400. I would have got the H110 but my guy was out and I wont pay extra for him to make an extra order. Anyway I see 2400 was a good choice for bullets and boolits ranging from 240gr to 300gr. I have a few 340gr gc boolits and I also have a 300gr Lee gc mold on the way it makes WW with gc and lube drop at about 315gr. I am looking for some average loads and maybe a few stiff loads for use in Grizzly country. I prefer the water quenched WW with flat point and gc for defense against dangerous game. I have a speer #12 and its no good for HC casull loads only has 3 loads and they are for jacket bullets and only reach 300gr. I ordered the new Lee volume 2 I think whatever the new one is but have not got it yet so any help would be good. I am looking for 2400 load data for 315gr - 360gr loads. Thanks

454PB
03-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I load and have done a lot of testing in .454 Casull, but I quite using 2400 many years ago. Here's a thread that may get you started in development:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49963

trappst
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I use 25.5g in Starline brass, Rem. 7.5 BR primer and a 300g XTP/Mag. This has been my whitetail load....easy to handle at an avg. of 1480fps from my 7.5" Ruger SRH.

Another accurate load was 27.5g but it's a handful and cases were just a bit sticky in the cylinder. I don't recall the velocity but I can look it up if you'd like. All my loads have a heavy crimp using the Lee factory crimp die.

I have the same Lee mold but haven't had time to try it out yet. If you don't get any other data for boolits, I can look when I get home.

yotatrd4x4
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help. I am gonna try 26.0 of 2400 with the Lee gc boolits. I cant find much data on anything above 300gr for 2400 but I think with the Lee 315gr boolits 26.0 to the rear crimp groove is gonna be a near max load. I am gonna try a few out to see how bad the are. I am mainly trying them out for a last resort bear load. I wont be shooting that hard of a load all the time just as a test and then carry load once I get it tweaked a little. I Prob will shoot the 245gr truncated cone tumble lubes the most for range loads with about 20.0 of 2400 to start out with. If you ( Trappst) dont mind looking up some data for me I would really appreciate it. You can PM me the info if that works for you. Thanks for the help.

jack19512
03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
I am in the process of working up loads for my 454 also. Right now I am using 23 gr. of 2400 and the Lee 340 gr. boolit with no G/C. It is not that stout of a load out of my Ruger SRH.

Ron B.
03-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Hello Yota & Fellow Cast Members!
Congrats, you now have the best single action ever made! [smilie=w:

Mine loves cast bullets. I don't load too hot; not liking the excessive recoil.
I bought my 454 years ago. It reportedly was ordered by Mariah Carey, and husband as a gift to a long ago record producer. I've included photos; I hope you don't mind.

It's actually time for me to send my back to FA's for a long overdue check up. I've shot it a lot; as others before me.

Keep em popping! :Fire:
GRB

yotatrd4x4
03-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks Jack19512 I think the 26gr of 2400 with the 315gr boolit with GC should be safe to shoot but I am always iffy when I get a new gun and new caliber to reload. I also made up some 340gr GC loads with 20gr of 2400 to start with. I cant hardly find any info on cast boolits in the 454 and dont wanna waist time or money buying J bullets because I can roll my own so cheaply. I will let you know how things go with each load. I also seated them to the rear crimp groove to make sure I didnt compress load excessivly. I think the 26gr under the 315gr is on the hot side because I cant hear any powder when I shake them. They may be slightly compressed but I will try 1 or 2 and see if the cases stick in the cylinder. I have heard that when the pressure is close to max your cases will try and stick in the cylinder if that happens with the first shot then I will break down the other boolits and reduce load accordingly. My only concern is that all the data I have found for cast says 20.0 gr of 2400
max for any type of cast boolit reguardless of weight. If anyone has any cast data please post it and maybe we can get it stickied to the forum. I would appreciate the help.
P.S. Goldenroyboy Most of us have SRH double action revolvers not FA's. FA's are fine revolvers but I prefer the SRH for 6rds instead of 5 and for the ability to fire double or single action. When it comes to a grizzly bear I want to make sure I dont panic and try and shoot him with a SA and never cock the hammer cause at that point I would be eaten or at least mauld to death.

Ron B.
03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Lol!
I wouldn't want to know that happened; the mauling I mean! :)

I also own the SRH; but in 44mag. In fact, just got it back last week from Ruger.

Regarding double action, verses single it's the first shot which counts the most.
Lets hope none of us find out; we have black bears around us here, in Southern Colorado.
And cougars galore.

GRB

yotatrd4x4
03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah I am in Florida right now but I have orders to Alaska so I will be in Anchorage at the end of August which is Salmon fishing season so I should see a few big bears but hopefully they stay on the other side of the river because I will try and run away before I try to shoot one of those big monsters. I am gonna try and hunt one with my 300 win mag thought when season comes in.

Ron B.
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
The absolute worse thing you can do with any wild animal is run.
Stand your ground; or squat, lay flat is what works best most of the time. Or, back away slow, and deliverately. Avoid making eye contact. "Like I know." I actually had a very close encounter with a bear; inside my home. I survived; he did too.

But then again, whatever works! I don't think any of us know how we will react until we do.

Sounds as though you have a very interesting life!
Good luck,
GRB

Slow Elk 45/70
04-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Yota, if you come to Alaska and plan to be out in the boonies salmon fishing, it is a good idea to have hand cannon, makes you feel good. Not many people ever get bothered up here while fishing, I have had to give up my fish a few times, but the bears are fishing and some have learned to come to lakes/river when the hear a float plane land.

This is no B.S. and you need to get used to the idea that the gun is a last resort. I have given them my fish when they close in and they never bothered me, also had them destroy my camp , drink my beer eat my food. I have put hot lead between their feet and had them keep coming, gun fire doesn't distract them when they are Hungary.

The worst problems are with sows that have cubs with them, if you surprise one of them , you are in danger, big time. There is always the exception to the rule, you never know what a bear may do.

So bring your 454 BFP, just remember, IF you shoot one of these animals out of season, it is a lot like shooting someone, you best be right, they will investigate the shooting like a homicide. F & G is serious up here. There are times to shoot and times to get out of the way and let them have what they want. I shot him because he was eating my tent won't fly. YOU have to be in fear of your life, a few bite marks are good proof, in most cases.HA! Come on up and enjoy the Great land it is a beautiful place and not many humanoids. Sorry fellas I didn't mean to go on, but know your weapon and your loads.

44man
04-01-2009, 08:05 AM
The absolute worse thing you can do with any wild animal is run.
Stand your ground; or squat, lay flat is what works best most of the time. Or, back away slow, and deliverately. Avoid making eye contact. "Like I know." I actually had a very close encounter with a bear; inside my home. I survived; he did too.

But then again, whatever works! I don't think any of us know how we will react until we do.

Sounds as though you have a very interesting life!
Good luck,
GRB
What did he do to your fridge? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

yotatrd4x4
04-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the input. I would only shoot a bear if I absolutly as a last resort I know I spelled it wrong oh well. I would never shot an animal out of season unless my or someone elses life depended on it. I would shoot into the air or near the bear but wouldnt aim at one unless that was all I had left. I would give my fish up no problem and I know I would be at there home catching there fish so I would gladly give'm up to the big bears. I dont mean to stear this thread all over but I really would appreciate that anyone with load data please post and others you can PM me and we can talk about Alaska or bears or anything else but lets keep the thread on post thanks,
Yota

Ron B.
04-01-2009, 08:28 AM
I knew someone was going to ask ---:coffee:

What happened was, my wife had lain meat out to thaw; leaving it on the kitchen counter. We'd seen this mature, cinnamon colored bear around the property numerous times. Other than swiping at out dogs, to keep them away, and destroying our bird feeders he pretty much left things alone. I did notice he was not scared of me.

Like a fool, I left a window opened, not 10 feet from the meat. And, turned the dryer on, before retiring to bed adding noise to our enviroment. After hearing what I thought was blue jeans in the dryer making too much noise I got up. I didn't turn on any lights. It was nearly 11am. Passing through the kitchen, I got within 5 feet of the bear before I saw him, crouched between the kitchen island and sink area. He looked at me much like a friendly dog would. I froze; backing up slowly. Once in the hallway, out of sight I ran quickly grabbing my trusty Remington 870, loaded with buckshot. I did not want to shoot that animal! Especially in my house! I told the wife, "A bear's in the house!" before closing the bedroom door, returning slowly to the kitchen. As I approached, the bear was going out the way he entered. He did not have a chance to eat any of the meat. Mine, or my wife's either. :Fire:

What's rather difficult for me to understand, the bear tried coming back no less than 3 more times.! Opening the front door, again I found myself within 5 feet of this animal. Shouting made him leave, shooting buckshot into the ground made him leave no faster. I shot 5 times that particular night; none damaging anything but dirt, rock, and tree. After three attempts, the bear finally left us alone; that night. Lucky for us, the only damage the bear did was to the trim on the window. My three dogs? Fine guard dogs everyone! Huddled, and trembling inside the locked down garage. :groner:

GRB