PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Lyman Hollowpoints?

tcarr
02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie both here and to this bullet casting thing, so if I don't know what I'm talking about its because I don't know what I'm talking about.

Where does one find a mould for Lyman 358156 in the hollowpoint version? I want to get into casting so I can try some Skeeter bullets now that I've got some Skeeter guns, but I guess Lyman dropped the hollowpoints sometime in the last twenty five years or so.

Along the same line, has anyone tried using the Forster case trimmer with the hollowpointer gizmo? Just wondering how concentric that would be. This may be an option if the correct mould can't be found.

Thanks for the help,
tc

crazy mark
02-11-2006, 11:44 PM
The Forster adapters sorta works. Getting a real HP mould unless you luck into one can be expensive. Some people HP their moulds or have machinist friends do it for them. Check the auction sites but be ready to pay in excess of $60 usually. Mark

Murphy
02-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Welcome aboard tcarr.

As for being a 'newie' to both the site and boolit casting, you've came to the right place. You'll find a wealth of information here. A lot of great, helpful people. I just joined this site about the 1st of the year.

Now as to your question about finding Lyman hollow point moulds. About the only option you're going to have is as crazy_mark says. Ebay will be your number one source. The Lyman #358156 HP mould occasionally pop's up there. But do be prepared to pay anywhere from $60-$85 for it. It will depend on the condition of the mould of course.

To add to this, bullet casting is a great hobby in itself. There comes a great satisfaction in not only 'rolling your own', but also casting the bullets they shoot. Seeing that you are a fan of Skeeter's...is a great thing. I own both the solid and hollow piont versions of Skeeters favorite .38/.357 bullet. Skeeter was my favorite of all the old time shootist's / writers.

Don't be shy when it comes to a lack of knowledge in the field of casting your own when asking questions. Many people have gave bullet casting a try, only to wind up frustrated and giving it up. The main reason being a lack of 'mentors'. The only source many of us had for years were the gun magazine articles. Now that we have the internet at our hands, it's a much easier thing to find out what you need, what to do, how to do it, and with the least problems.

We are always glad to have a new member thats willing to learn. Hope to see you posting questions and answering others replies as to your experience with your progects.

Respectfully,

Murphy

Dale53
02-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Lyman does make a "Devastator" hollow point for the .38 Special and .357 magnum. It is 356637 and weighs 125 grs.

Dale53

357maximum
02-12-2006, 05:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-38-Cal-Hollow-Point-Bullet-Mold-358156_W0QQitemZ7218783620QQcategoryZ71118QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck and may the force be with you..

I went with the lee c-358158-sw hollowpoint cause I am cheap, works good in both my smith and my old mans python. I have even put a few through my 357 max encore pistol even though I consider em a little on the light side for it. I have heard that one of these in the 357max would do one ell of a job on a stray feral kitty at say 90 yards.

Buckshot
02-12-2006, 05:35 AM
...........Tcarr, I hollowpoint bullet moulds.

http://www.fototime.com/36F87DBAD71E079/standard.jpg
Thusly. Of course in this photo the HP pin is stuck way out. The pins are adjustable in or out to a certain degree for deeper/shallower HP's.

You can PM me for particulars, if interested, but the price is $28 + $2 rtn shp. I only do one cavity at the moment, regardless the number of them in the blocks. So in a 2 cavity only one would be HP'd. I can also supply a FN pin so you can also cast solids in that cavity if you want.

You can spec your own HP pin configuration, but the price goes up by the wierdness and aggravation of same :-)

Apologies, I had to come back and add a warm welcome to the board!

....................Buckshot

tcarr
02-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies and the link to the mold on e-bay.

Buckshot, I'll probably be in touch with you on this sometime in the future. Being able to get a solid and a hp in the same cast sounds like the bees knees.

Hey Murphy, thanks for the encouragement, but I gotta ask; when did ya'll get internet service down there in McCurtain County? ;-)

AnthonyB
02-12-2006, 04:21 PM
tcarr, I was waiting on Buckshot to post before I said anything. Trying to find an original Lyman isn't worth the effort or expense, IMO. You can buy a two-cavity 358156 on e-Bay for $25-$30 and have it converted for less than you will pay for an original single cavity Lyman. Buckshot has done several moulds for me, and will get several more when I get a roundtoit. I can't recommend his services highly enough, and $30 for the work is cheap! Tony

Murphy
02-12-2006, 05:00 PM
tcarr,

We got the internet here sometime in the mid 90's to the best of my knowledge. I have it on good authority Gene Stipe had a hand in it way back in the 1900's. In fact, I'm sure of it. Then again...Gene has a hand in just about everything in Oklahoma.

So do tell, a fellow Okie I presume?

Thanks,

Murphy

tcarr
02-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Yep, ol' Gene had his hands in a lot of things, lol. I'm reminded of that every time we travel through McAlester and drive down Gene Stipe Blvd., Gene Stipe this, Gene Stipe that. I'm up here in Ada, the cultural center of Oklahoma, don't you know. No Geno for us; Our sign has Lonnie Abbott printed on it.

Sad to say, I've never been all the way to Idabel, although a couple years ago on fall break (wife's a teacher) we spent a few days on the Glover river near Battiest, and got into Broken Bow a few times. Been meaning to try the trout fishing down on the Little River. Pretty country. Hope it all hasn't burned down lately.

Murphy
02-12-2006, 08:47 PM
All is currently well as for the fire conditions in McCurtain county. We still have a 'no burn' ban in effect. Absolutely the driest year the county has seen in decades. I think now would be a great time go fishing as a matter of fact. Mainly because the fish have had to group up in small holes of water.

I have very fond memories of Ada. I once worked a pipeline that passed through the area there. Back in the 70's it was. I found a great place to stay the month or so that I was there. ~ The Juliana Hotel~. FINE FOLKS!!! Some of the nicest hostesses a man could ever ask for!!! I don't recall a day one that I got in from work that one of them didn't personally call my room and ask, is there ANYTHING you need sir? Dang shame it's gone now. Oh well...such is life. *Wink*.

Regards,

Murphy

John F. Lang
02-13-2006, 05:01 AM
tcarr,
Buckshot has done one mould for me so far and also built me a tool to take apart some of my Krags.
He does great work.
If I "happen' onto a Lyman hollowpoint mould, I jump on it like a goose on a June bug but that hasn't happened in a long time.
Buckshot hollowpointed one cavity of a RCBS 180 gr FN for my 30/30. It is neat to drop two kinds of slugs with every pour!!
You will like Buckshots work.

Bret4207
02-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Tcarr- Welcome to the family. Just so you know, HP moulds are , well, trickier to work with than solids. Get a regular 358156 or 358477, which I THINK is the PB version, and learn to use them before you jump off onto the HP wagon. FWIW- I find with my 358156 I have to run the temp quite hot and have the ladle in contact with the sprue plate or else my mould won't fill out right. Good luck and enjoy.

tcarr
02-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Once again, thanks for all the advise. I'll be searching for some basic equipment, and looking over a lot of old postings around here to get a good feel for everything. I sure do appreciate all the warm welcomes.

GLL
02-15-2006, 01:11 PM
tcarr:

Welcome.

I have posted another photo of Buckshots HP work in another thread. Take a look at his
design. I find his HP conversions easier to use than the original Lyman configuration. There is the added benefit of being able to change the spud pin to a different design and length or put in a blank and converting the mould back to a non-HP version. Pretty workmanship as well ! :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/FC1FBCABD1CE997/standard.jpg

Bret4207
02-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Dang. I gotta get me some of those....

Four Fingers of Death
03-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Just a query Buckshot, when you are dropping the boolit, do you open up and remove the pin assy before dropping the boolit? I can't see how it would drop otherwise. I have a dual cavity RCBS 250Gn 375 mould and my Big Bore would go just swimmingly with a sofffffffft hp at moderate velocities! As would my 30/30 and 32/20 and 44Mags and 45 Colts and 38 supers and 357 mag yarda, yarda , yarda.

It's go allright in my BPCR 45/70 as well, pure lead lots of lube and cat's sneeze speeds, whammo!

Buckshot
03-08-2006, 03:30 AM
.................Mick, what I do is give the HP pin handle a quick turn back and forth, then pull it out and open the blocks to drop the slug.

..............Buckshot

GLL
03-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Buckshot's design for locking the pin in place is great ! The pin is very firmly confined.

Simply rotate the pin until the machined flat you see in my photo is aligned with the "silvery" screw and the it slides out. Pop the mould blocks and drop the bullet.

I have had the pin + wooden knob on the Lyman HP moulds drop loose and into the molten lead ! The flaming handle makes a good flux I guess. :)

Jerry

nighthunter
03-08-2006, 09:00 PM
That boolit is beautiful ...... Just ******* breautiful. I gotta have one.
Nighthunter