PDA

View Full Version : lynotype ?

Lloyd Smale
04-09-2005, 04:34 AM
Just picked up 3 5 gallon pails of type metal. Two are monotype for sure but the other is a bucket of the think spacers anyone know what type of type they are.

kenjuudo
04-09-2005, 07:18 AM
I always treated them as lino and threw them in the mix...Except for a handfull kept around for sticking to vise jaws with double sided tape, or wrapping around something delicate to clamp in the vise or lathe chuck.

jim

carpetman
04-09-2005, 09:49 AM
I think those spacers are actually speakers--woofers and tweeters that you add to the monotype to make stereotype.

Finn45
04-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Two are monotype for sure

I don't know about the spacers, but what makes you think that some certain type metal is real monotype metal? I'm asking because my buddy bought small lot of supposedly monotype some time ago; it was true one-letter-in-a-piece as monotype should be, but when he made sample casts out of it and I checked them they were just straight BHN22 as linotype metal is. My thought is that maybe linotype metal was used to cast also monotype letters after linotyping took place in printing technology. Totally wrong?

Lloyd Smale
04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
youll find very seldom does lynotype actually test at 22 its usually more like 20 Lino looses some of its antimony and tin when used over and over and most of what you get that is in letter form has been used quite a bit. Virgin Lyno goes about 22. My guess is that your mono has just lost a little of it zest.

swheeler
04-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Loyd; I like it in this form, printers lead ingots, had a couple .359" bullets tested on a Saeco tester-10. The ingots weigh 22-24 lbs each and are very clean, give them a couple licks with the ax and snap them into 4 pieces to melt into 1# ingots.
Scooter

Finn45
04-10-2005, 05:00 PM
My guess is that your mono has just lost a little of it zest.

Could be easily that way. Hard to get virgin lino from scrap dealers or lucky finds these days anyway and usually it's listed just as "typemetal". Handsome ingots swheeler!

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2005, 05:14 PM
ive got 32 of those pretty 25 lb ingots left myself but mine are repores not virgin alloy.