PDA

View Full Version : first score

shickf3
03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
just scored my first bucket of wheel weights from the scrap yard. Talked him in to selling them to me. had to pay .50 a pound but still cheaper than online. When we were all done he said give me a few weeks and I ll have more. so I guess he will keep selling them to me. Can I tell which ones are zinc or is it easier to skim them off the top.

corvette8n
03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
I sort thru mine with a set of sidecutters. The obvious zinc and steel get tossed into another bucket, the suspect ones I try to cut with the sidecutters and then sort according to the results. It took me a couple of hours to sort thru a very full 5 gallon pail, but I feel the smelting operation goes quicker.

mtgrs737
03-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Just keep your temps under 700 degrees and the zinc will float and be skimmed off with the clips. You may want to invest in a good thermometer I have the RCBS one, but Bill Furguson the Antimony Man has a nice one also.

www.theantimonyman.com

Cherokee
03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Great, hope you can get a steady supply from him.

Shiloh
03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I sort thru mine with a set of sidecutters. The obvious zinc and steel get tossed into another bucket, the suspect ones I try to cut with the sidecutters and then sort according to the results. It took me a couple of hours to sort thru a very full 5 gallon pail, but I feel the smelting operation goes quicker.

Sounds like the best way to do it.

Shiloh