PDA

View Full Version : Hollow lube sticks in a Star

DanOH
03-30-2009, 08:08 AM
I am "on the list" for a new Star sizer and when it arrives I will use Lars Carnauba Red. I have about 10 of the standard size hollow sticks. Do I need to melt these down to load them in the Star or can I just put them in and squoosh em down?
If I need to melt them what is the best method that doesn't degrade the lube?
How many std size sticks will fit in the Star?

Dan Robinson

454PB
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
If you don't melt them first, you will have air locks and "farting". I use a microwave oven to melt mine. The Star will accept ONE stick of lube if it's empty. If you overfill it, there is an overflow vent on the rear of the reservoir, and you'll have a mess.

DanOH
03-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Ohh..I was under the impression the star took bigger sticks than lyman or LAMII.
Ok thanks

billyb
03-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Yes melt your lube and pour it into the resivour. And like 454 said do not overfill and DO NOT PUT THE PLUNGER IN UNTIL THE LUBE COOL'S! IT'll SPRAY OUT THE VENT HOLE LIKE A GYSER. Bill

cajun shooter
03-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Dan, You can put 6in lube sticks in a Star very easy. You take a auto hose clamp and cover the hole on the Star, it works fine. I make my own lube and pour the 6in sticks. Been doing this for a while without problems. I have two Stars with the air cylinders. Springfield Slim has three and does the same thing with his. He sells bullets to the Cowboy crowd and needs fast production. The 4in sticks make you run out of lube too fast. Later David

ddeaton
03-31-2009, 10:07 AM
watch the microwave with the red though. I have no problems with the softer lubes, but the red starts to smoke before melting in my microwave. I had to heat it on low on the stove or double boiler.

Cherokee
03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
air pockets are not a problem, I just use the hollow stick and go.......

ddeaton
03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Dan, You can put 6in lube sticks in a Star very easy. You take a auto hose clamp and cover the hole on the Star, it works fine. I make my own lube and pour the 6in sticks. Been doing this for a while without problems. I have two Stars with the air cylinders. Springfield Slim has three and does the same thing with his. He sells bullets to the Cowboy crowd and needs fast production. The 4in sticks make you run out of lube too fast. Later David

David, it is not good to keep the vent plugged all the time is it? It is needed to bleed the air pocket after reassembling is it not?
Thanks,
Danny

Dale53
04-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I am NOT a fan of melting lube with a microwave. Things happen that you cannot predict.

I use a double boiler when melting lube. I know that 212 degrees is safe and will not damage lube (many lubes are damaged by excess heat).

If you are going to melt lube to pour into a Star (or in fact, any luber) Spence Wolf (of 1873 Trapdoor fame) suggested to use a one cup coffee warmer - it gets hot enough to melt most lubes but does NOT overheat any lube even if it is on all day. I put a Pyrex cup on the cup warmer with lube in it when I start to size bullets. By the time I need more lube it has melted in the cup. I remove the piston, and fill to just below the "weep hole". I always refill my Star after I finish (it is real easy to "top off" with this method and I am ALWAYS ready to go with a full luber). It works just dandy for continuous operation. It is particularly nice for those that mix their own lubes.

These days, however, I just use Lars White Label "Red Carnauba" lube in the sticks provided.

Dale53

Springfield
04-16-2009, 02:14 AM
ddeaton: the hole is not there to vent while in use, it is an over flow hole in case you put in too much lube. Otherwise you would have to dig it out of there with a small spoon. I do believe the standard Star without the air cylinder will only hold a 4" stick. And if it is a soft lube the air pockets aren't tooo much of a problem.

ddeaton
04-16-2009, 08:25 AM
ddeaton: the hole is not there to vent while in use, it is an over flow hole in case you put in too much lube. Otherwise you would have to dig it out of there with a small spoon. I do believe the standard Star without the air cylinder will only hold a 4" stick. And if it is a soft lube the air pockets aren't tooo much of a problem.

Got it, thanks Springfield

cajun shooter
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Just now saw your question Deaton but see that Springfield gave the correct answer. You can keep it covered with out a problem as I do so that my 6 in lube sticks don't weep out the hole. Later David

fredj338
04-30-2009, 06:39 PM
air pockets are not a problem, I just use the hollow stick and go.......

I've been using hollow stick forever w/ no problem. Once you get it going, it works fine.

duckndawg
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one to make a gyser with the lube. LOL!!!

Big Boomer
04-30-2009, 10:52 PM
A method I have found effective in melting lube so as to get it in the lubrisizer, since I frequently mix lubes to obtain certain desired results, is to take the lubes I want to mix OUTSIDE my reloading room and outside the house (never have a flame in the reloading room under any circumstances) and carefully use a propane torch to lightly warm the top level of the lube in a small tin can into which I have melted and mixed the lube. Once the lube hardens, if you start warming the very bottom of the tin can, it will begin to expand and an explosion of sorts will result, so don't attempt to heat a tin can of lube with a propane torch from the bottom (that's hard learned experience talking there). I usually put some Motor Mica in my lube, along with some moly for good measure. After I've gotten the desired mix sufficiently warm, I just pour it in the lubrisizer. Having both a Lyman 450 and a Star, these posts got my attention. 'Tuck

Dale53
05-01-2009, 12:47 AM
I am very leery of using an open flame on bullet lube. I cannot control the temperature and some lubes are damaged by excess heat. I much prefer using a double boiler (you can easily make a double boiler from two tin cans or buy an old set at a thrift store). You do NOT want to use one of "milady's" pans - bad karma!!:groner:

I use White Label Carnauba Red sticks in my Star but I have a RCBS full of Emmert's black powder lube. The initial batch I mix in a double boiler. However, after I start sizing/lubing, I fill a small, one cup size Pyrex cup with lube and sit it on an individual one cup coffee warmer. It melts quite slowly and you can let it sit there all day and it will not overheat. However, by the time I need lube in the RCBS luber, I just pop the top and fill it up. If I only use the sizer until it is part empty, I still use the melted lube to top it off. That way when I start again, I start with a full sizer. It is extremely efficient and easy to do.

Dale53

runfiverun
05-01-2009, 08:20 PM
just order the red in the solid sticks.
if i have some hollow sticks i just mash them up and drop them in.

mtgrs737
05-01-2009, 10:52 PM
I melt my CR and BAC in a small sauce pan I got from a second hand store. I use a hot plate to do the melting slowly and use the cut off top of a 2 liter pop bottle as a throw away funnel. I plugged the vent hole with a hose clamp and a piece of leather and I can get 1 1/2 solid sticks in my stars.

Be warned about installing the plunger before the lube has cooled on a star that has the vent open, you will be cleaning up a big sticky mess! Ask me how I know!