PDA

View Full Version : Because the new guys always ask...

Old Ironsights
03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I spent the afternoon sorting my most recent intake.

I had 3 buckets (identical 5gal, generic, from the surplus mart) filled by the same tire shop.

They averaged 130lb each.

Most of us sort out the (nearly) pure pb stick-on weights, but I go a couple of steps further.

I sort out the stick-ons, zincers & steelies (I get most of them this way), and all the trash... PLUS I seperate the WWs into 2 seperate sizes: 40g+ and 40g- (essentially >1.5oz and <1.25oz) call 'em "Biguns" & "lil'uns".

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5894.jpg

Most people wouldn't bother, but since I'm sorting anyway it gives me the opportunity to smelt the ones with the higher alloy-to-clip ratio first...

So, by the numbers:

390lb(+/-) raw "from the shop" WWs weighed in 3 buckets on a bathroom scale =

188lb <40g WWs (lil-uns)
143lb >40g WWs (big-uns)
035lb pb stick-ons
015lb Zinc/Steel/loose clips
010lb Polymer Tape weights, Dirt, Valve stems, Cigs, etc.

FWIW, all 143lb of "big-uns" just fit into a 5gal bucket. I can only get 130ish# of "lil-uns" in a bucket...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5895.jpg

Next step/stop will be to smelt each set & post the clip/alloy ratios. :-D

(the ratios really interest me because 655# of my WW stock is in "Lil-uns"... and I want to calculate out the yeild...)

454PB
03-30-2009, 12:39 AM
So, next question:

How much weight will those wire handles handle?

If the handle breaks, what are the odds you will only break the toes on one foot?

I've been scrounging WW's for 36 years, and have not yet had a wire handle break, but I figure I'm living on borrowed time. Another thing I noticed, those buckets full of WW's were much lighter 30 years ago, even though they were filled to same level. Is lead getting heavier?

Old Ironsights
03-30-2009, 07:37 AM
I generally don't lift/carry full buckets. I store full buckets, but as I have to carry the things up & down stairs to store/smelt I generally olky carry 1/2 full buckets.

454PB
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Apparently you're smarter than me!

Yes, the half buckets are much easier to handle, and safer.

One other point of interest for newbies is that plastic buckets tend to deteriorate and begin cracking after years of containing WW's. In other words......don't trust them to hold together forever, and check them for cracks before moving.

pjh421
03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Last time I moved a few full buckets I broke a blood vessel in my eye.

Paul

Typecaster
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Yes, the plastic buckets seem to have a self-destruct mechanism. I used to think it was because they had been left outside and were weakened by UV, but now I think how long they last is directly proportional to how heavy they contents are. Even my sh*tty-litter buckets that I know were never left outside seem to suddenly split.

I still keep an old steel bucket by the smelting pot...I can dump hot clips in without worry, and carry them to the trash when they've cooled. No problems with the bail on that one.

Richard

Old Ironsights
03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
...I still keep an old steel bucket by the smelting pot...I can dump hot clips in without worry, and carry them to the trash when they've cooled. No problems with the bail on that one.

Richard

You throw away your clips? At about $0.05/lb scrap you may as well collect it and turn it in. A couple of 5gal buckets will get you $5.00...

Throckmorton
03-30-2009, 03:03 PM
The ww's arent getting heavier,the bucket's are getting taller. lol

and the older I get,the taller the bucket's get...and my front steps....and everything else that used to be easier. HA

hpdrifter
03-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I generally don't lift/carry full buckets. I store full buckets, but as I have to carry the things up & down stairs to store/smelt I generally olky carry 1/2 full buckets.

I guess life has been more kind to you, I tend to carry half empty buckets.

Typecaster
04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
You throw away your clips? At about $0.05/lb scrap you may as well collect it and turn it in. A couple of 5gal buckets will get you $5.00...

OK, I'm hooked. I'm planning to stop at the semi-local scrapyard tomorrow after the newsletter goes to press. $5 would about pay for the 12-pacs of Cokes I use for bribery....

Richard

jnovotny
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Man my back hurts just looking at all those ww, great info for all.

Old Ironsights
04-09-2009, 09:07 AM
I guess life has been more kind to you, I tend to carry half empty buckets.

When it comes to WWs I'm an optimist. My buckets are half full...

theperfessor
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I move full buckets with a two-wheel dolly. Takes strain off handle and back both. I won't lift more than 1/3 bucket at a time. Used to be 1/2 buckets but age and a hernia prevent that now!

SciFiJim
04-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Buckets can be half empty if on the way to a full load of fun! I am in the process of processing:-D four buckets myself. Mine are mostly stickons. The ratio so far is 1 1/2 buckets of stickons to 1/3 bucket of clipons with only a large handfull of trash. I don't seperate the biguns from the littleuns. I am new at this and did not realize that they make WWs that small. Some of them have more weight in the clip than lead, fortunately not many.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Ya those bucket used to be carried two at a time to balance the load, I seem to remember, [smilie=1:
but that was 30 years ago, now I carry a half bucket and change sides every now and again:roll:

ciPeterF
04-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Brother in Law of the year award.. I get mine delivered to the shop door in 5 gal pails by the brother in law. All I gotta do is wheel 'em over to the heat.. (he even picks em up when he spills them getting them from truck to ground.. that'll teach him to buy the "big" truck.. ) Best part, I'm 50+ and he's older... Happy easter folks!

Chunky Monkey
04-10-2009, 08:42 PM
So, next question:

How much weight will those wire handles handle?

If the handle breaks, what are the odds you will only break the toes on one foot?

I've been scrounging WW's for 36 years, and have not yet had a wire handle break, but I figure I'm living on borrowed time. Another thing I noticed, those buckets full of WW's were much lighter 30 years ago, even though they were filled to same level. Is lead getting heavier?

I just spit my water all over the computer laughing ~ thanks 454pb now I got a mess to clean up!! :mrgreen: