PDA

View Full Version : vz24 with rim case

nekshot
03-29-2009, 08:46 PM
I have been saving some vz24 actions for building a line of rifles based on the 30-30 case. I wanted to have a bolt chambered to match each lever gun I have. This looks like it should work but I am lazy and like to learn from other folks mistakes or experiences. Is this possible and is the feeding a issue. Should the rim be rebated into the barrel? This would put the claw in like a model 70.

Frank46
03-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Just a suggestion, so here goes. Winchester made a bolt action model 54 quite similar to what you want. Flat faced breech not coned like the springfield. What they did was have a extension sort of like a ring that extended outwards from the chamber. This is what the case headspaced on. The mauser type claw extractor that winchester used still needs to have its recess cut just like a springfield. There is another way to skin this cat. After threading the barrel, cut a cone that extends outwards with a flat face. Some benchrest actions have the barrels so made and used a cone faced bolt. There was a similar thread on the graybeardoutdoors.com forum under the heading of savage rifles. If you go there look under savage rifles and you may have to go back through the older posts. I believe one gentleman did this using either standard .473 ('06) sized bolt head or opened one up to take the 30-30 rim. Memory is kinda hazy on this. The way winchester did it with the ring was to headspace and also get more case into the chamber. you might have to alter the extractor to take the 30-30 rim or turn down the rim to '06 size and alter the extractor so it will slip over the altered rim such as on a sporting mauser. Hope this helps. Frank

nekshot
03-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks Frank. I do have a 54 and I will take a look at that. I felt I would have to lengthen the extractor to make this work. I want the gun to be able to use factory ammo if needed. I have all the wildcat creative bugs worked out of my system now that I am older. Being different is not important anymore, but I do like the thought of these calibers in a bolt. I can only guess what my 444 would be like in a strong action.