PDA

View Full Version : 32 s&w

milltownhunter
03-29-2009, 12:52 PM
are any of the old smiths or h&r safe to shot? i been see alot of them lately look like fun guns to shoot

Ghugly
03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
32 S&W Long, certainly. I have a S&W Hand Ejector that was made around 1918 and has become my favorite pistol for first time pistol shooters. Everyone seems to be able to shoot it well.

If you are referring to the 32 S&W (which is, of course, what you said), I really can't say, as I have no experience with them. I would be willing to bet that there are some, in good condition, that would be fine with mild loads.

mike in co
03-29-2009, 04:00 PM
they still make a factory wimpy load for them, should be ok if it seems tight not abuse.

Bret4207
03-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Yes, they can be safe to shoot depending on the individual gun. A Smith on good repair using either the 32 S+W or 32 S+W Long is a joy to behold, even the old top breaks are more accurate than the design would lead you to believe. The H+R's, Iver Johnsons, Meridians, H+A, etc....have them checked out for safety by a 'smith and wear safety glasses as many don't always lock up in line with the bore. Even at that, given a little judicious work they can be good shooters.

The Lyman books have loads for both cartridges. The Lee Soup Can works in some guns, other will need a fatter boolit. Something in the 85 to 120 gr area works fine in my 32's. Even the shorter 32 S+W can give respectable velocity in a strong gun, perfect for small game and charging rocks and dirt clods.

scrapcan
03-30-2009, 12:01 PM
They are great fun. I use the lyman 311252 that drops at 313 and about 83 grains in my alloy supply. Also great fun to shoot a single 0 or 00 buckshot pellet seted in a fired primed case with a rubber mallet (gentle goes the seating), it jsut cuts a very small ring of lead off the ball. It also takes a small powder charge.

I would love to have an old smith. I have a colt Police positive and it is great fun, but the trigger pull is tough. The smith may be easier to fine tune.