PDA

View Full Version : Best lube for a new guy

Brother_Love
03-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I hate to ask 2 back to back questions, but I need to get started with lubing the bullets I have cast.

What is the best rifle/pistol lube recipe to use in a RCBS lube sizer? I want to make my own lube and I know there are many recipes. Which one is the best "all-around" lube? I do not know whether I will need it or not but I have been saving the red wax from cheese for over a year, got 2-3 lbs of the stuff.

Thank you, Malcolm

Matt_G
03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Ask all the back to back questions you want. That is what this forum is for!!

If my memory hasn't totally failed me that red wax is carnuaba wax. If I'm wrong, someone will straighten me out pronto.

As far as lubes are concerned, if I were you I would just buy some lube from Lar45.
If you have a heat source his Carnuaba Red is supposed to be the cat's meow.
I'm going to give it a shot myself. At only a $1.90 per stick, I can't see going through the trouble of making my own, but that's just me.
If you size, lube and store boolits like I do, a hard lube is a good thing. It won't pick up dirt and crap like sticky lubes do.
There is a link at the bottom of all pages that says "Lars45 LsStuff" You might want to check it out.

If you are set on making your own lube, I know there are many recipes floating around here. I'll let someone with a lot more knowledge than I point you to the good ones.

cajun shooter
03-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Put the wax in the garbage can! You said in your Question that you wanted the best lube and that is not a start as you have no idea as to what is in it. Next, Malcom I think that a new caster and shooter should buy some White Label lube and get the feel of things before trying to make lube. There are so many ways to go with your question. The people of this forum did things the hard way, by learning the steps to each phase. White Label lubes can be purchased by clicking on Lar's stuff

Brother_Love
03-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks, checked out the link and I will order some Lars next week. Besides I can spend that time doing something else, like painting the house. Man, I am l;ooking forward to that painting, NOT. Malcolm

44man
03-29-2009, 09:35 AM
If you want to make lube, Felix is the best and Speed Green is also good.
I will NOT use too hard a lube and Lar's Carnauba Red is the limit for me. I keep boolits in cookie cans or tupperware to keep them clean. I WANT soft, sticky lube. If I drop a boolit on the rug it comes up full of dog hair. :mrgreen: I prefer accuracy over convenience.
You are wise to order Glenn's lube, great stuff.

Tom Herman
03-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Welcome aboard, Brother Love!

I mainly run middle of the road loadings in larger caliber revolvers. I had been using SPG, but that was over $30 a pound, so I made a lube that is practically the same for $5 or less a pound. It's fairly soft, I'd go harder for a warmer climate, but for around here (West side of WA state), it's fine.

2 parts Paraffin Wax
2 parts Tallow (Sheep Tallow from Dixie Gun Works)
1 part Beeswax

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Echo
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
+1 for 44Man - 50/50 alox/beeswax NRA lube for me. Easy to make, and fairly inexpensive, too.

Lloyd Smale
03-29-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree with 44man and will add this. Handguns are less demanding then rifles on lubes and most will take care of leading. experimenting will help you find a lube that is more accurate for the load your using. I make my own and its a hybrid version of felix. It probably doesnt lube any better then felix but i need a slightly firmer lube for storage. If a guy has to buy lubes there are some good ones out there but for the money lars's lubes are hands down the best buy out there. Hes so cheap a guy doesnt save enough making his own to make it worth while other then for a bullheaded sob like me that likes the idea of making his own.

Shiloh
03-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Ditto the Larsen Lube!!

Shiloh

waco
03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
i just ordered 3 sticks bac, 3 sticks 2500. and 2 sticks of 50/50
cant wait to give them a try
heard good things about all of it!
waco:drinks: