PDA

View Full Version : Pistol storage in your safe

crabo
03-29-2009, 01:17 AM
I remember someone making some dividers for storing pistols safely in your safe. As I remember, it seemed fairly simple to make with plexiglass dividers. I can't find it with the search engine.

I have seen this wire rack used, but I am wondering about the larger pistols with optics and 7 1/2" barrels. I also would rather build something and save the money since I need more than one rack.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=275638

Anyone have any suggestions? I just bought a new safe and it is smaller than my old one. I am having to do some urban renewal to get everything to fit.

imashooter2
03-29-2009, 08:49 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/rack1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/rackuse1.jpg

missionary5155
03-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Good morning
If you were to add a flat piece of plyboard to the top to the top of your cut grooves tha could form the base for another upper layer for your pistol wrack. That would be depengent also on the interior hieght. The only problem with a safe is they get filled up with keepers.
Mike in Peru

Sprue
03-29-2009, 09:41 AM
You can get these for around $4 ea. at Wally World for a fraction of the cost. They look simular to the one shown in your link.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/RackforPistols.jpg

Happy Trails

supv26
03-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Sprue, I like that wire rack thingy! I will look for one of those when I am at wally world. It would sure beat stacking them LOL.

Randall
03-29-2009, 10:27 AM
What dept are they in? What are they intended to be used for?

Sprue
03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Look in the Kitchen Sink untensil / Dishwasher rack area. Sorry its been a while, but if you don't see them or they don't have any at that store, try another. I think most any other store should carry something simular. FYI... I found this idea on one of the forums... not sure which one :-D

hoosierlogger
03-29-2009, 11:06 AM
awesome rack there sprue!! The vinyl coating is also firearm friendly. I am gonna pick me up one next trip to Wally world. Although mine wont have that much money resting in it.

HeavyMetal
03-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Pistol storage can be a problem! Particularly if you have more guns than a safe should hold!

I have two "small" Safes that are "long" enough to store rifles. Nither came with any "shelving" and pistol storage was an issue.

My brother in law suggested a simple solution: hang them on the side of the safe wall!

To do this we got some nice 1/2" Oak Plywood from Lowe's, I guess you'd call this "finished" plywood?, Measured and cut two pieces that would set on top of each other, in essence we "paneled" the safe wall, Degreased the steel and used "liquid Nails" to glue the paneling to the safe!

It takes about 24 hours for that to set then I just drilled holes at a slight angel for some 1/4" doweling in patterns that would support each pistol and hung them up!

Now I can get 10 or so pistols on each side of the safe wall and have a rack for long guns in the middle! Scoped guns or those with other optics just require a bit longer dowel to rest on!

I hate metal racks because they can be hard on gun finishes they also require shelves which take up space and limit rifle storage.

In a real large gun safe this may not be a big issue but with some of the smaller safe one can pick up on the cheap this idea can be pretty cool!

StarMetal
03-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I carpeted the backside of my door and screwed cup hooks in with clear tubing over the hook as to not mar the gun finish. This freed up lots of space in my safe. Best thing I ever done to my safe. I had to install a thin plywood back first for the cup screws to be able to screw into. Actually I eliminated some shelves for more rifle space. All I actually store in my safe are my firearms.

Joe

Sprue
03-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes, the racks shown above are vinyl coated metal and dishwasher safe :mrgreen:

August
03-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Office Depot (or Office Max) has a file folder holder that is made of lucite. It has six or eight bins and is the perfect dimension for holding pistols in the safe. It will hold a pistol in its rug, if that's your way of doing things. It is the perfect size for the job and not very expensive.

hoosierlogger
03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
just picked up one of sprues racks at Wal Mart. It is a plate rack. UPC#003378922351 cost. $4.26 I love it already.

NVcurmudgeon
03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
My 14 long arm safe came with one shelf which is taken up by important papers, jewelry, a little dinero, etc. I removed the sheet of tin covering the inside of the door and screwed a piece of pegboard on in its place. I got pegboard hooks and clear plastic tubing to cover them from Ace hardware. This is a very flexible arrangement, a couple of S&W 8 3/8" revolvers fit (vertically.) Now the only question is which of the less valuable long arms go into the overflow cabinet?

mtgrs737
03-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Sprue,

Thanks for posting that rack, I will be checking one out ASAP!

crabo
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM
You can get these for around $4 ea. at Wally World for a fraction of the cost. They look simular to the one shown in your link.

Happy Trails

I really like that idea. I can also use it to hold my Glocks in the dishwasher.