PDA

View Full Version : MEC 12 GA 0 red charge bar - throws what?

helenajoe
02-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi,

I can't seem to find a shotgun forum on this website but since castboolits members are the smartest reloaders, here's my question:

I have a MEC red charge bar marked 12 GA 0. It has no other markings, not 302 (single-stage) or 502 (progressive).

This MEC 12 GA 0 red chage bar has factory fixed holes for the shot and powder charges and it does NOT take bushings.

Does anyone know what weight shot charge and powder charge (which powder) this MEC 12 GA 0 red charge bar throws? And can anyone refer me to a chart showing charges tossed by this MEC 12 GA 0 red charge bar?

This 12 GA 0 red charge bar is not listed on the MEC website, their current catalog or in any current or recent MEC bushing charts --- nor have I found this MEC charge bar in any shotshell reloading manual.

This MEC 12 GA 0 red charge bar was stored with a Versamec 700 (vintage late 60's early 70's) single-stage shotshell reloader that I inherited after my Dad died. I reloaded shotshells with my dad when I was a teenager and again in the early 90's.

Now, I'm just getting around to reloading some shotshells and can't remember what this MEC 12 GA 0 red charge bar is used for. I'm thinking it might be for skeet loads. I doubt it is for steel shot.

I might have it written down somewhere but I can't seem to find all of my shotshell reloading paperwork stuff (old load notes, etc.) --- I moved a couple of times. Recently, I seem to remember reading somewhere that listed the MEC 12 GA 0, 12 GA 00 and perhaps a 12 GA 1 red charge bars --- but I can for the life of me remember where I read it.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,
helenajoe

Scrounger
02-11-2006, 05:50 PM
That is a very old charge bar, probably for one of their models they no longer make. I could not find any information on it. Charge bars are cheap, much cheaper than the cost of converting that one to modern type. Nor is it worth the trouble to try to find out what it fits or how much it drops. If you list it on EBAY, some moronic collector may give you enough for it to buy 3 new bars.

Ross
02-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I imagine it would be easier to measure some shot and some Red Dot or whatever you have at hand and see what you have. Once the powder charge is known, you can compare it on any standard bushing chart.

Johnch
02-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Check it , before using it .
But my memory is , 1 1/8 oz and drops a charge of red dot or green dot for 1150 fps loads .
OH was 1200 fps

Johnch

cabezaverde
02-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Here is a shotgun forum with an active reloading section.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

helenajoe
02-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi Everyone,

I found a MEC Charging Bar Guide with data for the 12 GA 0 red charge bar. It throws 1 1/8 oz of shot and a specified powder charge per the MEC Charging Bar Guide table.

If anyone wants a copy of the MEC Charging Bar Guide table, I'll send you one. It includes all the old red charge bars numbered from 0 to 16, and some of the numbers have a single letter behind them like OH, 1B, 8W, etc.

I couldn't find the Charging Bar Guide on MEC's website. Someone on another forum said to check the first edition of the Lyman Shotshell Handbook published in 1969.

The 12 GA 0 red charge bar dates back to the late 60's and early 70's. I finally found the original paperwork that came with my Dad's Versamec 700 and the Charging Bar Guide is on the back of the parts diagram. It is dated Oct 5th 1972. Plus via a gun show find, I picked up an original MEC 600 JR parts diagram with the Charging Bar Guide on the back and that was dated July 3rd 1969.

Thanks everyone for helping solve this mystery. I really appreciate it, especially the link to the ShotgunWorld.com website.

helenajoe

MarkK
06-15-2021, 10:27 PM
I’d like a copy of the charge bar table.

kysunfish
06-16-2021, 05:19 AM
The 0 ought bar is for red dot 3 Drams Trap load.

upnorthwis
06-17-2021, 09:02 PM
From my memory, the inside diameter of the powder measure is the same as a #32 bushing.