PDA

View Full Version : Lube

mooman76
03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
What would be a good medium lube. I am using Rooster Red now. I am happy with the final results but it is really hard. I don't want something too soft because of the cliate here so I was looking for something maybe in the middle of hard and soft that works well on both rifle and pistol. I don't really push to the real high velosities if that helps.:castmine:

leftiye
03-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Try Lar's C-red maybe it's not real hard, but does need a heater in a cool room to go through a sizer. If you want softer, I'd go with his c-Red / 50/50 mix, or 2500 lubes.

mtgrs737
03-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I use Lar's BAC which it 50/50 with a little Carnuba Wax mixed in for the shiney bore effect. However I add a 3/8" slice off of a stick of Lar's Carnuba Red melted into each stick of BAC to firm it up a little and make it less sticky. I use a heater, but I don't think I would have to if I didn't lube in a cool basement. For the price of Lar's lubes I can't see making my own, check him out at the bottom of the page.

mooman76
03-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys. Seems like what I'm looking for. I currently have to use a heater with Red Rooster even in summer. Not a big deal but the last time I used it, it took an hour to heat up to where it was flowing good. I probubly wouldn't need it in the garage in summer(115) but have yet to try it and I'm not fond of sitting in a hot garage sweating all over my equipment. I'm just afraid I will get in a hurry and blow my seals from all the pressure I have to use.
I definately don't want stick but I don't mind using the heater as long as it doesn't take forever.

Dale53
03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Lars Carnauba Red takes about 15-20 minutes to come up to heat in my Star sizer/luber with the Lyman flat heater. I have a rheostat set to the "sweet spot". You can easily make your own rheostat to control the heat (and for little money, too:mrgreen:).

Dale 53