PDA

View Full Version : Rem 6 1/2 7 1/2 Primer Confusion

odoh
03-28-2009, 10:39 AM
In loading for my 454Casull, it calls for a SRM primer. In this case, it would seem that a magnum primer would be preferrable. I'm wondering what the difference being Remington 6.5 and 7.5 are. Both are labled small rifle primers but on the 7.5 packet, it says Benchrest. I would think one would say magnum. Anyone know for sure? If so, which?

Prairie Wolf
03-28-2009, 11:10 AM
The remington 7.5 is a benchrest primer.

Neither remington or winchester list a small rifle magnum.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/components/dataprimers.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/reloading_components/rifle_&_handgun.asp

I don't know for sure, but I don't think there is such a thing as a small rifle magnum.

Edit: After looking around, I am sure there isn't

Instead, I think it means small rifle match, hence the benchrest designation.

odoh
03-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, I can see there's also 2 different SP catalogued also, w/o magnum designation. I & a few others have experienced failure to fire w/the tuffer CCIs and am looking for something else ~ I happened to have a brick of ea on hand and couldn't decide which to try ~ sure looks petite in the Causull case.

Thanks for the response

trappst
03-28-2009, 11:36 AM
the 7.5 is a benchrest primer....basically the same but the worker who spreads the priming compound is very skilled. More consistent primers is the result. I use the 7.5's in my 454 all the time.

If you want a magnum small rifle, try the CCI 450.....they work in the 454 as well.

Firebird
03-28-2009, 12:10 PM
CCI, Winchester and Wolf all make small rifle magnum primers. The problem now is finding any to buy.

snuffy
03-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Stay away from the rem 6.5 primer in anything other than .22 hornet, or other small, low pressure SR centerfire shells. The 6.5 has very thin cups, made for the weaker FP springs and low pressure of the hornet class ammo.

I had some around, bought for my savage hornet. I figured they would work for .223. So, I loaded some for use in my super 16 TC contender. I got tiny pin holes alongside of the firing pin dimple. It allowed hot gases to cut the FP bushing in the breech face. TC replaced it fer nuttin, only cost me postage one way.

You'd think I'd have learned NOT to use them, but, no, I loaded some .223 for my bushy AR. This time it cut into the boltface around the FP hole. Cost me a new bolt. I don't know if the casull runs as much pressure as a maxed out .223, but I'd hate to see the frame of a revolver get gas cut.

snuffy
03-28-2009, 12:42 PM
From the midway description for the rem 6½ primer.

Warning: Remington does not recommend this primer for use in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 204 Ruger, 17 Remington Fireball. Use the 7-1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primer in these cartridges.

# This 6-1/2 Small Rifle primer is primarily designed for use in the 22 Hornet.

Since the casull is not listed, maybe you could use them, your choice.

Mugs
03-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Use the 7 1/2, Rem. says they have a 25% thicker cup. I've also had them work in loads of ball powders where others gave hangfires. Rem. 7 1/2's have been my primer of choice for 25 + years for all small primer use.
Mugs

Larry Gibson
03-28-2009, 01:08 PM
The 6 1/2 has a softer cup and a lower brisance. It is very useful in small capcity cases of lower pressure like the 22H, 25-20, 32-20, etc. As mentioned it is not for use in the smaller higher pressure cartridges of the .222+ family. The 7 1/2 primer was developed especially for these smaller higher pressure cartridges. It has a stronger cup and more brisance conducive to the use of ball powders. The WSR primer is pretty much the same as is the Federal 205.

There are small rifle magnum primers such as CCI 450s.

Larry Gibson

odoh
03-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. This is a spinoff from another thread so won't repeat here. See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49221

I want to work w/something other than the CCI because of unreliable ignition experienced before. I had both Rem on hand and my experience w/kleanbore stuff has been favorable whenever there was a problem w/my rifle loads. I couldn't recall specifics of which came first, the 6.5 or 7.5 but do recall there was a problem w/a newly intro'd cartridge and they had to come out w/the other. My memory says 6mm BR but truly uncertain now.

I didn't wanna mention it earlier wishing not to sidetrack into yet another discussion but did experience a pierced primer w/the 6.5. The 7.5 I have are brass and the 6.5 are chromed. For the casull, I'm still at the starting loads which may be part of the problem w/erratic ignition. Am loading up some more and thot I should seek out the forum wisdom on the subj. Looks like pulling bullet time and repriming :rolleyes:

trappst
03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Read an article recently that spoke of ignition problems when using slow burning powders like H110.........when loaded below 90% case fill.

I really like Alliant's 2400 in my Ruger SRH. I've used CCI 450's, Fed GM205M and Rem. 7.5 BR primers. I've never had ignition problems but the 7.5's have provided the best accuracy and consistency thus far.

Be safe!!!