PDA

View Full Version : Building a CB only gun, 30BR

JSH
02-11-2006, 09:42 AM
I got the barrel and dies, but am on the quest for some load data for the 30BR.
I have looked on the CBBR site and all I can say is the site does not seem real user friendly when looking up past history subjects.

Barrel is a 4 groove 1-10 twist. It is throated fairly short, asper my chamber cast.
To get this thing to shoot as well as I am hoping to, I am willing to cast one at a time in a single cavity mold and spend a few bucks extra for some known type of alloy. This is in hopes of keeping consistancy of more, any thoughts here? Weighing each bullet will pretty much be a given I am sure.
I could go with straight lino I guess too.

On the powder side I am thinking SR4756, H322, 4895, N135 or 140, Benchmark, Varget. I could use some milsurp powder, but the future does not look to good for them. I have read some on the FLGC shooters and this caliber. I think the speed they are running may be a bit much for CB's, I guess I won't know with out trying either. On the speed aspect, some where on the old board I remember reading somthing to the effect that for the most part your lube will fail before your alloy did regarding leading. WW was the alloy if I remember correctly and of course a correctly sized boolit is a must.

As to cases. I did get forming dies for this, but that would involve large primers. I still have some measuring to do, but think the 7BR case available will work fine unless the necks end up thin. On the 308 cases I have no problem with neck turning as a couple hundred pieces should last me a very long time.
Many thanks in advance.
Jeff

versifier
02-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Jeff,
I have been gathering data for several months towards building a .308x1.5. In the process, I have come upon a lot of .30BR data, mostly for jacketed bullets, but it is a starting point. (The only differences are primer size and neck thickness). I have been told by several people and have read in many sources that for the BR case, it is much easier to start with a 7mm BR and simply neck up. BL-C(2), H380, IMR 3031, IMR 4064, and IMR 4198 are all popular, as is RE-7, and I'd also be interested in trying both Red Dot and Green Dot. As the case volumes are identical, I assume that the lighter charges should work for both.
This is the only data listed specifically for cast boolits I've found for use with the large primers (Rem 9 1/2), and I have not tried any of it (still looking for the action I want), so back it off a bit and be aware with the heavier charges:

100gr
BL-C(2) From 30.0 grains to 33.0 grains
IMR-4198 From 26.5 grains to 28.5 grains

125gr
BL-C(2) From 29.0 grains to 32.0 grains
H-380 From 24.0 grains to 30.0 grains
IMR-3031 From 28.0 grains to 29.0 grains
IMR-4198 From 22.5 grains to 28.0 grains

150gr
BL-C(2) From 27.0 grains to 29.0 grains
H-380 From 21.0 grains to 23.0 grains
IMR-3031 From 26.0 grains to 28.0 grains
IMR-4064 From 25.0 grains to 27.0 grains
IMR-4198 From 21.0 grains to 27.0 grains

I'm very interested in the results of any testing that you do, so please, please post it!

Frank46
02-12-2006, 03:49 AM
Jeff, try the CBA web site. There are a lot of shooters who shoot cartridges like this. In all of their match reports they list the loads, case, primer, powder, chg weight, bollit, alloy, weight, lube and chrono or estimated velocity. Should be able to dig up what you need. Frank

JSH
02-12-2006, 09:27 AM
versifier, I may just try some FLGC data for the 7BR. I am still looking though and have some thoughts of my own along with sources from here it should come together pretty easy.

Frank46 I refered to it as the CBBR site, that was wrong, meant CBA. I get pretty flustered every time I am there. Place is not to user freindly and you have to review so much and a search ends up in a search to get back to where you started. I went back there this AM and was looking for the match results and so forth. Danged if I know where they went to, dleted after a period of time maybe?
Jeff

Pat I.
02-12-2006, 02:39 PM
You're looking at the CB-L and not the Cast Bullet Association web site I think.
Try this one and look under Match results for a boat load of 30 BR datahttp://www.castbulletassoc.org/ (http://).

Forming your brass from 7BR is easy and the way to go. In my experience anyway using a 10 twist is going to limit your velocity somewhat but on the up side you'll be able to shoot a heavier bullet. If the throats too short get someone to lengthen it to fit the bullet after you decide on seating depth.

If you get into match shooting, and even if not, you'll more than likely end up loading at the bench down the road so don't go through the hassle of making up hundreds of cases. I have 20 for each barrel I have and they last a long time.

Pat

Junior1942
02-12-2006, 03:03 PM
This one works: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/ However, you'll need to join as the data on loads is in the back of _The Fouling Shot_, the CBA bi-monthly hard-copy journal. Hey, you should be a member!

Pat I.
02-12-2006, 04:15 PM
The load data is also on the website under Match Results. I just checked and see they archived all the 2005 matches getting ready for 06 so you'll have to click on the "2005 Match Archive" on the top of the Match Results page.

Pat

JSH
02-13-2006, 12:19 AM
I will post this before I go look. Went over to my buddies house today, he shoots a 30 Herret quite a bit. Took a case for this and the 308x1.5. The Herret case is right at 1/2 grain less capacity than the 30BR. With that in mind and the 308 being able to work at higher pressure the Herret CB data should exchange with no problems. You fellas think that would be a correct ?

I am going to use this project for several things. #1 will be to prove a few none CB believers that a CB can and will shoot right with a FLGC. #2 is a secret as I wouldn't want you guys to quit typing on the subject. But am fixing on kicking A$$ and taking names with this rig this summer.
Jeff

Bret4207
02-13-2006, 08:13 AM
I don't have anything to offer load-wise, but you have my support. Gird yer loins and go forth and slay the beasts!!! With luck we'll be able to speak of your crusade in reverent tones and refer to the day you "... smote them sore with fear and dread!" (Apologies to Mr Twain)