PDA

View Full Version : Time to move up - need a lead hardness tester

selmerfan
03-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Okay,
I've finally had enough of "getting by" without a lead hardness tester. I've had other people test my bullets, so I know what they are coming out at, but I want to be able to do it myself with different alloys. I'd like to know what works the most consistently and gives the best results. I know Lee makes one (probably the most expensive casting item they make! ) SAECO makes one - pretty pricey, I've heard of LBT and a Cabin Tree tester. I'd love to hear from those of you who have one, I'm not interested in making my own, I have enough homemade stuff stored in the man cave as it is, and the commercial ones look pretty small. Thanks for your help!!!
Selmerfan

Bret4207
03-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Cabine Tree 110%!!!!! Excellent tool. Go the extra $$ and get the model that does runout, etc. Wonderful tool and Gussy, the maker, is a supporter and poster here.

ddeaton
03-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Cabine Tree 110%!!!!! Excellent tool. Go the extra $$ and get the model that does runout, etc. Wonderful tool and Gussy, the maker, is a supporter and poster here.

Does anyone have the instructions on how to use this one? I have one but cant find how to make it work.
Dale sent me this link last night, looks pretty cool and high tech. http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/brinell/
Thanks

ddeaton
03-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I found the procedure on his web site. I will have to get with Dale and check this one against his for results.

xr650
03-28-2009, 10:19 AM
I have the SAECO and the Cabine Tree.
Cabine Tree is a more useful and user friendly tool.

Dale53
03-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I had the Saeco and was disappointed. I got rid of it and bought an LBT hardness tester and have been satisfied with it. It does exactly what it says it does.

However, if I were buying today, I would get the Cabine tree tester as it is far more versatile - will easily test bullets, ingots, and also (if you get the upgraded version) will do bullet runout, etc.

Dale53

EMC45
03-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Got a Saeco. I was talking to my brother one day about casting and he asked how did I know the hardness of a given alloy. I told him there were testers, but they were expensive. I get a knock on the door one morning before I was off to work and my brother is standing there. He had a little box in his hand and says happy birthday and Merry Christmas! It was a Saeco. It works fine for me.

Charlie
03-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I've got a Lee Tester. Clever design. Works well for me. The measuring microscope included as part of the kit is graduated in .020 increments and is handy for measuring other small items.

Charlie Sometimes
03-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I use a 3/4 inch ball bearing and a pure lead ingot against an ingot of different alloy. Comparative testing and calculation involved- very accurate, though. If I want to know how hard boolits are after heat treating, I must do an ingot at the same time to verify. It works, but is a lot of extra trouble. I'd say that Lee based their tester on this method, and commercialized it for ease of use.
Draw back is I can't do boolits (unless they are larger than 1 inch!) I really need to get a lead hardness tester, too, and stop this nonsense.
I have heard good things about the Cabine Tree unit, and saw an LBT tester once and liked it. Don't like the Saeco (saw it in action), or Lee (got indirectly as per above).
I will be watching this post with same interest.

selmerfan
03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I already have a Sinclair Concentricity gauge, I have no need for the runout version of the Cabine tree, but I will probably end up with that one.

missionary5155
03-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Good afternon
I use the Charlie Sometimes method down here in Peru as there is about onlt pure lead to be found. My steel ball bearing is 1/2" and I use a 1 lb hammer for my wacker.
Up there in the North I have a Saeco and an LBT.... I use the LBT. It is simple and fast and has no figuring to it. Why did they go under ???
Mike in Peru

DanM
04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Here is a link to a test of various hardness testers:http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm

Firebricker
04-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Mike, I bought a LBT around x-mas so there back up and running. I agree simple and fast.
LBT
HCR62 Box145
Moyie Springs, ID 83845

dromia
04-03-2009, 03:48 AM

What Bret said.