PDA

View Full Version : Remington RB No.4 .32 Short & Long

Bigjohn
03-27-2009, 10:21 PM
G'day, It appears that my local dealer really knows how to twist the knife when it comes to me.

I walked into the shop this morning only to be ambushed by him with a new (S/H) rifle.

It is a REMINGTON No. 4 in .32" Short & Long rimfire takedown version. It is in a very good condition, having been well looked after.

Now, I know ammo will be a problem but this really needs a new home with caring people.

What can you tell me?

John

Bent Ramrod
03-28-2009, 12:40 AM
The rifles are definitely good ones, but whether it's worth your while to get this one depends on what you want to do with it.

The ammunition is still made in Brazil. Used to be imported into the US by Navy Arms at a merely outrageous $22/box of 50. After that sold out, there was none for a while and now the Old Western Scrounger, Dangerous Dave, imports it for a truly heartstopping $50 or so a box. I have about half a box of old issue I need to check out in my Winchester Low Wall, the only .32 with a decent bore I've owned. I shot most of the rest of 5 boxes or so up in other rifles. My other rifles in .32RF have bores ranging from pretty bad to NRA Horrible, and accuracy from the best of these is about minute of tea saucer at 25 yards.

A lot of people report similar poor results with this Brazilian rimfire stuff, and blame it on the ammunition, but I have seen an acquaintance shoot the old Navy Arms issue in his near-mint Marlin .32 rim-or-centerfire rifle and it shot as well as any .22 ammo from the same type Marlin lever rifle out to 50 yards and more. A friend has a S&W tip-up revolver that shoots it very well if you clean the barrel every other cylinder full or so. I think if you have a perfect bore, you have a chance of good accuracy.

The Remington #4 was made from 1890 to 1933. The early model was solid frame, later it was offered as a takedown version with a lever screw and finally a takedown version with a slotted head screw. It was very well made with good wood and forged parts in the action; high quality for a kid's rifle. The only weak point is the peculiar three-leafed spring that holds the trigger in the sear and allows the breechblock to snap open and closed and the extractor to snap out. Sometimes the leaf that snaps the breechblock breaks. If it does, it's probably as well to do one of the makeshifts in DeHaas' book as to try to find a replacement, although with vigilant looking you might get lucky. I have a slotted-head takedown action that came with the spring broken, and I got lucky, but it took a few years. I've gradually accumulated enough parts to almost complete a rifle in .22 caliber.

So if it's a good one and you're wealthy, it should offer lots of fun plinking and small-game shooting. Otherwise it'll be a special occasion rifle or a wall-hanger to admire.

madcaster
03-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Maybe relining to .22 caliber?
Could that be an option?

Bigjohn
03-28-2009, 01:44 AM
The bore is near prefect; the outside is in very good condition. It is the lever takedown version. It needs very little to clean it up. The woodwork looks dry but should buff up well with a bit of elbow grease and woodwork wax.

John

mag44uk
03-28-2009, 03:47 AM
I have often wondered if it is feasable to convert one of these into centrefire.
It looks like just a hammer change or is there more to it?

Tony

JeffinNZ
03-28-2009, 05:43 AM
How about converting to CF and running .32S&W up it?

Bret4207
03-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Yes, as the last 2 posts said, convert to CF and 32 S+W Long. Making the new firing pin takes a few hours and converting the chamber to 32 S+W Long is a simple reamer pass. Absolute joy to shoot, you won;t be sorry. Be advised the bore probably runs closer to .310 than .312 although they vary. The 32 RF's were spec'ed out at .310.

If it's inexpensive and you don't want it, buy it and I'll buy the barrel from you.

Bigjohn
03-29-2009, 02:04 AM
I have often wondered if it is feasable to convert one of these into centrefire.
It looks like just a hammer change or is there more to it?

Tony

Breech block change to effect the conversion.

John

Bigjohn
03-29-2009, 02:05 AM
How about converting to CF and running .32S&W up it?

I'm looking at that option as well.

John

Bigjohn
03-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Yes, as the last 2 posts said, convert to CF and 32 S+W Long. Making the new firing pin takes a few hours and converting the chamber to 32 S+W Long is a simple reamer pass. Absolute joy to shoot, you won;t be sorry. Be advised the bore probably runs closer to .310 than .312 although they vary. The 32 RF's were spec'ed out at .310.

If it's inexpensive and you don't want it, buy it and I'll buy the barrel from you.

$150.00AUD, that's all he is asking for a rifle that is in very good condition. Well cared for.

John.

Bret4207
03-29-2009, 08:54 AM
John, converting to CF is pretty easy. especially if there's a good welder in town. The pin only has to be moved about 1/8-3/16". Takes a new FP though, simply made up of 3/8" round stock, or sometimes you can drill the old pin and insert a pin, it's almost easier that way.

It's not hard, I've successfully done 3 or 4 all by my lonesome after watching my Dad do several in the gun shop.

$150.00 AUS ? It'd be at my house already. I'd give $ 250.00 US for a nice solid frame version in a heartbeat. I'd give $100.00 for a good barrel too.

Bigjohn
03-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Bret, here downunder we have to buy the firearm then apply to the Police for premission to purchase the firearm. If they approve the purchase we can then pick it from the dealer and take it home. We have 14 days in which to apply for registration of the fiream in our name as owner.

The dealer currently has two in which I am interested, one is the Remington and the other is a BSA Martini Cadet .310" with a very good cast boolit barrel. The one I have is a bit rough.
Two lots of paperwork. :roll:

John.

bobk
03-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Bigjohn,
There is another solution. Dixie Gun Works has lathe turned brass cases that use a .22 rimfire primed case as the primer, and then you load the powder and projectile of your choice. 6 for $25.50 USD. A little pricey, eh?

Bob K

Bigjohn
03-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Bigjohn,
There is another solution. Dixie Gun Works has lathe turned brass cases that use a .22 rimfire primed case as the primer, and then you load the powder and projectile of your choice. 6 for $25.50 USD. A little pricey, eh?

Bob K

This is another option I'm looking at as it does not alter the firearm from original. I was considering using the 6mm Acorn Starter Gun cartridges in a simular. I believe I saw it here on the forum for another calibre.

John

mag44uk
04-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the info on the conversion from rim to c/f.
They occasionally appear for sale here in the UK cheaply (?)
Always fancied something single shot in 32. Have a few Rolling Blocks but nothing in pip squeak!
Regards,
Tony

kendwell
04-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I have a takedown old .32 RF an old local gunsmith converted to 32 long colt juct by changing to centerfire. Will shoot 32 short colt, too, tho I don't have any ammo for that.

MtGun44
04-13-2009, 12:03 AM
My #4 RB is a really nice one, but in .22 cal. It is highly accurate, I have shot
groups less han a dime at 50 yds with the stock sights.

Sounds like the center fire conversion would be a great move.

Bill

KCSO
04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I recently did a breech block conversion on one of these and it now shoots 32 S and W. Marlin rifles came with a reversible firing pin and shot RF and CF.

TAWILDCATT
04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
I had a 32 marlin bought it for $10 I still have a firing pin. the gun was stolen,as was the rem in 22.:coffee:[smilie=1:
I used to buy the 32 rim at .35 cents a box as there were many pistols in that caliber.:coffee:

Bigjohn
04-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Well, I went and did it. I should soon be bringing it home along with another Martini Cadet in .310".

Just have to await the paperwork to come back.

John