PDA

View Full Version : salt brine pickles

kendall yates
03-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Am I the only one who makes and eats salt brine pickles?

Papa Foxtrot
03-27-2009, 09:33 PM
My family's made them for years going back to my grandfather. We even have heirloom cucumber seed that's been in the family four generations now.

My wife and kids won't touch them tho', but they do like fresh cucumber pickles in the summer.

Lee
03-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Recipes, please?

Sprue
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
As kids we loved them, so yeah, I grew up on them. I make them every once in a while for the boy.

Guess there are various recipes and all but the ones we loved as kids were only good thru most of the summer, while they lasted.

Another favorite was also Pickled corn. Same recipe as the pickles.

Salt & Water in a churn and cover for two weeks then skim off the skank, wash em off, devour and get another.

The wife has a recipe handed down to her from here grandmaw which are also called salt pickles, they are Canned in vinegar etc.. They are good too if your a youngin. Whooowee they are sour, but decent, although my tasted buds and teeth were cut on the above kuntry style.

Papa Foxtrot
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
My father had one gallon glass canning jugs that he used. Whole small pickling cucumbers packed into the jar, two cups of canning salt and fill with water. Turn the jugs a couple times a day for a week or so, until the salt dissolves. They need to be soaked out before they can be eaten. Pour them out of the brine container into a large pan(plastic dishpan works well) and cover with fresh water. Change the water every couple of hours. Usually takes about 8 hours to get brine level down enough to be palatable(as a kid, I'd sneak them fresh out of the brine :-D ). Once they've soaked out, slice lengthwise and pack into a quart jar. Pour in about three fingers of white vinegar and then top up with water.

My grandfather had to have homemade pickles with every meal. This is how he kept that up through the winter when fresh cukes weren't available.

Since I don't have the gallon pickling jars, I occasionally do the same thing with quart jars. The exception is that I slice the cukes in half so I can more into a quart jar and add 3/4 cup of pickling salt.

I'll eat salt pickles, but the rest of my household won't touch them. They much prefer fresh pickles. Made the same way as above, but without the brine. Just quarter small cucumbers, pack into quart jars, add three fingers of white vinegar, a teaspoon of salt and fill with water. Takes a day or two for them to pickle and must be eaten within four days(not usually a problem in our house) or they get too sour.