PDA

View Full Version : 185gn LSWC .45acp and Win 231

Josh Smith
03-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Hello,

First post here, so be gentle!

I really like Win 231 powder for use in my 1911 (I built it loosely based on the MEU pistol - next one will be closer).

My load for the 230gn LRN is this:

230gn Missouri Bullet's LRN
5.2gn Win 231
Rem 2-1/2 primer
1.23" COL

Now, I decided to try their 185gr LSWC for just regular shooting. I prefer the larger holes in paper, and they seem to be just a bit more accurate should I stumble upon a rabbit in my woods here.

This load would be:

185gn Missouri Bullet's LSWC
5.6gn Win 231
Rem 2-1/2 primer
1.23" COL

Mild load.

Now, I was invited to shoot some comp this summer. I got to looking at the data for the jacketed versions of the same LSWC I'm shooting. They go up to around 7.2gn (IIRC).

I decided to work something up:

185gn Missouri Bullet's LSWC
6.3gn Win 231
Rem 2-1/2 LP
1.23" COL

If you'll notice, the only change is the powder charge. For cast, max is 5.9 or so. For jacketed, it can go up to 7.2gn.

These bullets are HARD, and they do not deform when shot into oak. I've actually recovered several, and they are all of the same diameter, .445". Seems they slugged my barrel.

Anyway, I got jumped on for going over max for the lead version. I believe that the lead version was actually intended for soft lead, not this extremely hard cast.

I'm showing no pressure signs - wouldn't expect to in a lower pressure load like the .45acp - but still...

Are these folks right in that cast bullets so much more different than jacketed, that this load is dangerous? Or should I keep the load, and be happy with it as a high speed alternative to my all purpose 185gn load? I figured I'd get more and better answers from folks who deal with cast bullets a lot.

In other words, what real difference is there between the hardcast and jacketed version of the 185gn bullets, and is my load dangerous in a .45acp 1911?

Thank you,

Josh <><

P.S. BH is 18 on these, and they're made for IDPA competition. J.S.

dougader
03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
The Lyman 46th manual shows a 185 grain hardcast bullet with 6.0 grains WW231 as MAX at 17,500 CUP. Their COL is a bit shorter than yours at 1.08".

You might be at max or into +P territory. Or it might be fine in your gun. If there are no signs of high pressure then I'd call it ok.

runfiverun
03-27-2009, 09:42 PM
.445 in a 451 sized gun??
your pressures would be really low.
if your bbl is really 445 you got problems there no matter how accurate it is.

Josh Smith
03-28-2009, 01:46 AM
The Lyman 46th manual shows a 185 grain hardcast bullet with 6.0 grains WW231 as MAX at 17,500 CUP. Their COL is a bit shorter than yours at 1.08".

You might be at max or into +P territory. Or it might be fine in your gun. If there are no signs of high pressure then I'd call it ok.

.445 in a 451 sized gun??
your pressures would be really low.
if your bbl is really 445 you got problems there no matter how accurate it is.

Thanks folks.

Runfiverun, my specs are showing, for a 1911, groove diameter of .4515" and land diameter of .4450". If anything it looks like I'm a bit on the tight side... or are we not on the same page?

Thank you,

Josh <><

broomhandle
03-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi Josh,

I would stay with in established loading limits.

The powder & bullet manufactures have 100's of years of real life experiance & testing with all the latest tools & equipment.

What are you really gaining with over max loads?
A few feet per second in speed, more recoil & wear on your pistol & real physical damage to your body.

If your shooting in some type of match. WHY do you want to have any more recoil just to put a few holes in a paper target.

I have shot Bulleye matchs with 200 grain bullets using the universially know 3.5 grains of Bullseye & Ken Waters Best accuracy load of 6 grains of Unique with a 200 grain bullet for the last 30 years.

If you run into a few softer bullets & the barrel LEADS up, You WILL have a problem on your hands.
You will NOT be checking your barrel for leading at a match.

Just looked this up for YOU!
185 grain lead bullet (speer) 5 grains of w-w 231 f-150 primer
is mentioned as The Most Accurate target load for a 185 grain bullet.
I tried them a few times but always seemed to do better with 200 grain bullets.
I have used his books & his results are very close to mine in 45 & 30-06 match loads.
I had to go a little heavier on powder in my rifle .3 grain more. I think he KNOWS his stuff.

Good luck in any event,
broomhandle

Josh Smith
04-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi Broom,

The Hornady manual lists something like 7.2gn max, while my Speer manual lists it as 5.9.

I'm back down to 5.6gn (midrange load, according to Speer) until I can get ahold of a Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. I never knew they made such a thing until I stumbled across it on a website.

Unfortunately, everyone seems to be sold out at this point.

I will be switching over to Unique or Power Pistol (slower powders) after this pound of W231 is gone.

Reason I pushed it is 1) Hornady said it's OK for jacketed in this weight, and 2) I'd like to make max power factor in IDPA. Don't shoot bullseye, except informally.

Still might have to go to 200gn LCSWC though...

Thanks,

Josh <><

jh45gun
04-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Hi Josh welcome. Glad to see you here. Too bad the other forum shut down.

Josh Smith
04-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Hey, I remember you..!

Which forum are you speaking of? Shootersville?

Thanks,

Josh <><

broomhandle
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Reason I pushed it is 1) Hornady said it's OK for jacketed in this weight, and 2) I'd like to make max power factor in IDPA. Don't shoot bullseye, except informally.

Still might have to go to 200gn LCSWC though...

Thanks,

Josh <><

Hi Josh,

The 200 grain bullet makes more sense for IDPA!

PLEASE stay with published loads it IS SAFER.

Please visit this site!
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Best to you,
broom

jh45gun
04-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Hey, I remember you..!

Which forum are you speaking of? Shootersville?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Precision Shooters

Josh Smith
04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
OH YEAH! Actually I thought I'd seen you other places as well.

I was just on Precision Shooters not too long ago... what happened?

Josh <><

jh45gun
04-02-2009, 01:41 PM
With the economy he decided to drop the forum which he has thought of doing several times in the past. As you know it only had a small dedicated group there and not much going on compared to some forums but the group that was there was a great group. It will be missed.

Josh Smith
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, it will... :(