PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to make WW Softer?

Jon
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Is there a way to make WW soft enough to use for BP without adding pure lead?

Extra slow air cooling?

I have a 1858 BP revolver that I like to shoot, but the Hornady balls are expensive and I'd like to cast my own. Other than outright buying lead flashing at Home Depot for $3/lb, I haven't been able to find any pure lead. :???:

Ole
03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Is there a way to make WW soft enough to use for BP without adding pure lead?

Extra slow air cooling?

I have a 1858 BP revolver that I like to shoot, but the Hornady balls are expensive and I'd like to cast my own. Other than outright buying lead flashing at Home Depot for $3/lb, I haven't been able to find any pure lead. :???:

How much are you looking for?

I'd be willing to trade you my pure lead for your WW's if you like.

I think you can get about 20lbs in a small flat rate USPS box.

[smilie=1:

sheepdog
03-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Seems like you'd me able to find some lead roof sheets, cable sheathing, or plumbing pipes at the scrap yard in the 50 to 60 cent/lb range.

fishhawk
03-27-2009, 10:50 AM
well Jon if you browse through the swapping and selling forum there are folks there with pure lead for sale. price is usaly around a buck a pound in 50 pound lots and that includes shipping. steve k

AZ-Stew
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Stick-0n WW are very close to pure lead, if not actually so. My hardness tester says there's so little difference as to be inconsequential. I use them for my ML boolits. Can't tell the difference (except for price) between them and store-bought.

Regards,

Stew

Old Ironsights
03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Dental X-ray foil and Radiology/radiotherapy meds come in nearly pure lead. X-Ray rooms are often lined in the stuff if you can find one being torn out...