PDA

View Full Version : Are we to hard on

Freightman
03-27-2009, 10:15 AM
I made one cavity of a 500gr LEE boolit mould to PB, shot without leading but wasn't to pleased with the accuracy 3 MOA at 200 yds. The crono clocked the PB boolits at 1487 fps average of 10 shots. I am going to have to size the nose a little as my chamber is to small for it as is have to force it to get it to chamber.
The Sharps handles the 500gr boolit other than that. I will need to work on the powder and charge, even with the 500gr slug the recoil isn't bad.
Now if I could actually see the target and not just the frame would be nice, would move it back to 100 or 50 yds but that just don't seem right with such a fine rifle.
Getting old sure aint for sissies!

Ron B.
03-28-2009, 07:45 AM
I'd be happy with 3 MOA at 200 yards! Especially, with these peepers I have. Are you shooting open sights, vernier-globe?

You mentioned the bullet being a little large; have you actually slugged your barrel? Sounds more to me like a COL issue. Reading through the lines, I suspect you know what you are doing however. Can you tell us a little more about your rifle?

By the way, I bought two of the same Lee moulds. Mine, using WWs average 485 gn. A pretty bullet; accurate using 15gns TrailBoss. This particular mould however is .512; for my 50-70.

Good luck,
GRB

JSnover
03-28-2009, 08:50 AM
3 MOA at 200 yds ... Now if I could actually see the target and not just the frame would be nice, ...

Freightman, with iron sights and bad vision, 3 moa aint bad! Back in the 70s one of the gun magazines printed this splash on their front cover one month; "A Factory Rifle That Prints 3-inch Groups Out of the Box!" All testing was done at 100 yds, so you're shooting well enough to make the cover back then :)
Also, consider the M1 Garand and 1903 Springfield were only required to shoot 3 moa to be accepted for service. Tune the load, maye get some new specs, I think you're on the path to happiness soon enough.

Freightman
03-28-2009, 03:19 PM
To answer the questions Vernier rear and a adjustable front with a bubble on it, not that that does any good as I can't see it. You may be right on the OAL , I will need to drop a couple of grains as I don't think it will compress anymore without bulging the case.
I have another 45/70 that is a old Rolling Block made in 1883 and it will fit the 500gr with it seated way out so I will use the rest of the ammo I have loaded for it.
Hey GoldenRoyBoy did youall get hammered with this last storm? We did but it is warming up nicely now.

Ron B.
03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Mr. FM!
If you can't see the sights, and still manage 3MOA @ 200 yards I want you on my team Dude! Lol!

Yes, that storm packed quite a punch! We got 8 inches of the poo stuff; but, as you said it's warming up nicely! I declared it a 44 mag day; trying out my Super RedHawk I finally got back from Ruger after a two month hiatus. Along with my PC SW 629, Ruger BH, and Virginian Dragoon it was in fine company! I just got in; popping 200 caps. I actually performed fairly well me-self; shooting both 200 & 240gn cast bullets. The blue birds came to visit; weren't even worried. They know me well; those blue birds.

GRB

Freightman
03-28-2009, 04:59 PM
I can see the hood and just bracket the frame with it, but as far as seeing the post or that little bubble forget it. We got a foot of snow and 50 mph wind, Gage OK got 26" and 50 mph wind so it could have been worse.