PDA

View Full Version : A powder measure for just my 45 Colt Loads

jh45gun
03-27-2009, 04:54 AM
I have a old powder measure one of the smaller ones made for pistol loads that was OLD I think it was made by Lyman but I am not sure. It had a brass rotor in it that you can reverse for two different weight drops. The Rotor in it only dropped like 3 grains of Unique so I took it to a friends place today and we drilled out the hole larger so it drops a larger more usefull load of powder for my 45 Colt. Now it drops slightly under 8 grains of unique. Checking with my old beam scale it is like in between 7.9 and 8 grains grains. Close enough to 8 grains I figure to be in the ballpark. I I checked it with Red Dot too and it measures 6 grains of Red Dot for the same hole. I suspect a little polishing and I can get it to drop 8 grains exactly. Only problem is like with most powder measures it does cut the powder some.

Dale53
03-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Cutting the powder a bit will make NO difference at all. You seem to be going well with your procedures.

Good luck!

Dale53

jh45gun
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Yea I know it just makes the lever hard to flip at times

Dale53
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
There is a solution to "powder cutting". Most ball powders will measure easily. Frankly, tho', I haven't ever had a problem using most of the faster pistol powders like Bullseye, Unique, 5066, etc. I DID have Bullseye tie up a Lyman powder measure when the fine grains got between the rotor and body. It was necessary to periodically take the measure apart and clean it.

THAT particular problem was solved by using another powder measure with closer tolerances.

These days, most of what I load are pistol powders and they seem to work quite well with my Dillon powder measures and Lee Pro Auto Disc measures.

Dale53