PDA

View Full Version : Old Eyes

Rick Hodges
02-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Gentlemen I need help.

I'm 57 yrs. old and sorely afflicted with "Short Arm" disease. My vision is still good for distance but I need reading glasses for anything up close. Open sights on a rifle are out of the question, but I still do very well with peep sights. Handgun sights are way fuzzy, and distance work is all but impossible. Is there anyone else out there with this problem? What type of glasses do you use? My reading glasses sharpen up the sights just fine but everything else is a blur. Is there a solution for this or have my Pistols and Revolvers all all become "Belly Guns"?

I don't want to consider aimpoints or scopes. If I have to clunk up a handgun with them I'll just carry a rifle.

Thanks,

Rick

David R
02-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Merrit Optical Device.

Its just an apiture that attaches to your glasses. It has an adjustable iris like a camra. Try one, sites are clear and so it the target. I have been using one for many years.

To see how it works, take a pair of clip on sunglasses. Tape the one over your shooting eye with electrical tape. Drill a 1/16" hole in it were you would look through to see your sites. Go outside and see the sites, and target clearly.

David

wills
02-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Like this

David R
02-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Thats IT!

carpetman
02-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Rick Hodges--I certainly have not experienced any of the problems you stated with old eyes. Now I did hear that progressives are much better than bifocals and yes peep sights can make the older eyes work. Also heard it takes more light than it use to.

Poygan
02-10-2006, 10:46 PM
FWIW, bought the Merit device and it didn't seem to help much, if at all. I have been using the progressive lens glasses and they work well for hand guns but not so well for long guns.

waksupi
02-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Rick, I don't get along with the Merit sights on glasses either. But, got to Merit corp on the web, and you will find adjustable apertures available for reciever sights. They have been a real savior for me. Puts the focal length where I need it.

versifier
02-11-2006, 01:02 AM
One problem with prescription lenses is the location of the optical center of the lens, the place where the focus is at optimum. For rifle shooting, you need a higher optical center because you lean your head forward onto the rifle's stock and look out of the upper part of the lens. Most opticians are completely clueless about this, but I met one many years ago who was also a shooter and he explained it to me. I just had a pair made last year specifically for shooting and hunting, and it only took about ten minutes to get my point across with my current optician. He was reluctant to do it and hemmed and hawed until I suggested that after supporting his business for ten years, maybe his competition (Wally World) could do a better job for less. He got the point and I got my glasses.
My dad (84) mounts a Merit device on his tricyclefocals for handgun shooting and loves it, I'm still too stubborn to try it out. Maybe when I have to turn in my bifocals....

NVcurmudgeon
02-11-2006, 01:54 AM
After years of using bifocals I began to have the fuzzy iron sight problem. Rifles were no trouble as long as I used aperture or scope sights. Open sights on either pistols or rifles were difficult. I tried a pair of tri focals and found that the middle prescription was good for open sights, rifle or pistol. However I had to shoot nearly looking up at the sky to use the middle. finally I got smart and took a dummy pistol to the eye doctor and said, "make me a pair of single RX glasses focused at pistol front sight distance." Ten years later I'm still using that first pair of what I call my shooting glasses.

Pepe Ray
02-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Rick H.
I'm a decade or so older than you and have had your problem for some time. I can't find fault with any of the previous advice. I love the Merits on rifles and the merit eyeglass adapter is great for Bullseye. My game is action pistol ( A GENERIC VERSION OF IPSIC OR IDPA). NVcurmudgeon had the right idea and I'm sure he's quite competative in his game but, I'm a cheapskate. You can accomplish the same thing by spending some time at the drugstore eyeglass rack/mirror. Trying on several different prescriptions and sighting in using the form you prefer on the range , you will find the solution for many dollars less .
Sharp focus on the sights & some blurring at the target. I 've gotten so used to them I like them for most of my general wear EXCEPT for driving. Pepe Ray

Frank46
02-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Rick, used to have regular bifocals, had problems seeing the sights. I now have been using varilux type bifocals. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
02-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Rick, I don't get along with the Merit sights on glasses either. But, got to Merit corp on the web, and you will find adjustable apertures available for reciever sights. They have been a real savior for me. Puts the focal length where I need it.

You might find the merir iris works better if you cover the othere eyepiece.

When shooting target pistol I use a cheap pair of readers which bring the front sight into sharp focus. everything else is a blur, but the front sight is where you are supposed to be focussing anyway.

Works for me, I hope it does for you.

wills
02-11-2006, 10:47 AM
One problem with prescription lenses is the location of the optical center of the lens, the place where the focus is at optimum. For rifle shooting, you need a higher optical center because you lean your head forward onto the rifle's stock and look out of the upper part of the lens. Most opticians are completely clueless about this, but I met one many years ago who was also a shooter and he explained it to me. I just had a pair made last year specifically for shooting and hunting, and it only took about ten minutes to get my point across with my current optician. He was reluctant to do it and hemmed and hawed until I suggested that after supporting his business for ten years, maybe his competition (Wally World) could do a better job for less. He got the point and I got my glasses.
My dad (84) mounts a Merit device on his tricyclefocals for handgun shooting and loves it, I'm still too stubborn to try it out. Maybe when I have to turn in my bifocals....
Knobloch has a discussion on its website regarding shooting and vision you may have to poke around because I cant figure hot to post the direct address.
http://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen.de/allframes.html

try this: http://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen.de/prospekte/english1.html

Now, has anyone used the Winner glasses? I am thinking about getting some

http://nealjguns.com/pdfcatalog/Shtgglasses.pdf

Rick Hodges
02-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Wow! Some of those shooting glasses are pretty complicated. It would take me 6 months just to get the darned things adjusted.

I tried a hole in a piece of tape and it did help, but its not too practical for everyday wear. I think trying to get a progressive grind bifocal might be the answer if I can find an eye doctor who understands shooting. In the meantime I'm going to experiment with low power reading glasses. (I don't think my local drug store would appreciate me drawing a pistol to check out the glasses in the store.) I think I will try to cobble up a set of sights on a stick or something that looks harmless--- No sense in giving the lady at the counter a coronary!!

Thanks for the help. If this works out I may just go shopping for a single action .45 that I've been wanting. I figured it would be a waste of time and money if I couldn't see the sights.

Rick

Four Fingers of Death
02-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I have an idea on how to acquaint your eye glass maker. Discuss with him the prob, he may be cool with you bringing the rifle/pistol in especially if in a case and you show him it's clear, etc. If not, get a piece of ply or MDF and lay your piece down on it. Run around with a marker pen (we call these Textas in Aust, what do you guys call them? Texta was the first brand available here). Cut out with a jig saw and then paint it fluro orange or pink so that you don't get blamed for trying to make a pseudo weapon and when dry mark where the sights are so that he can figure out the foacl length and more importantly wher he needs to place the centre of focus on the lens when you have the piece to your shoulder or whatever.
Altermately, ring up the high power/long range shooting body in your state and ask them to recommend a optometerist.

twotoescharlie
02-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Rick,

before spending big bucks for a merit device ,try this. won't cost but a couple of bucks and it works for me, and I am just a few weeks shy of 69.

get a pair of the cheap clip on,flip up sunglasses. put them on your specs,grab one of your rifles or handguns, aim like you normally do and have someone put a dot on the lens with a marker where every thing lines up.
drill a small hole through the lens and paint with flat black paint. you can remove the opposite lense and cut down the usable lense to a smaller size if you want. you can also open up the hole larger if you want.
the beauty of this device is that you can flip it up out of the way to use your spotting scope, it also doesn't smidge up your lens like that little suction cup does.
I have been using one of these for quite a few years and you can make a dozen of them for the price of a merit device.

I purchased a merit device about 5 years ago but was not happy with it.

TTC

wills
02-11-2006, 10:51 PM
http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/dec96agingeyes.html

Blackwater
02-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Rick, you've received good advice all around here. As an overview thing, it seems that presbyopia is something that affects us all in differing ways, and the solutions are ultimately a matter of sheer trial and error. Like you, I'm 57, and my eyes have never been really gilt edged. Now they're REALLY playing tricks on me! The worst part, is they can vary from day to day when doing critical viewing, such as seeing your iron sights. That ain't what you want to hear, I know, but ... well, that's what I've experienced and noted in others as well.

I have a Merit disc for the peep sight on a sporterized '03 Springfield, and it USUALLY really helps a lot. One thing that's changed, of recent, is that I really need a bigger front sight these days. I used to love those little 1/16" white beads on the front, but need a 3/32" bead now. It's a LOT better to use a bigger sight I can SEE, than a smaller, formerly more "precise" one, that I CAN'T SEE! The only good thing about this is that the bigger front sight is nearly as accurate as the smaller bead, IF ... I repeat, IF ... I can just SEE the darn thing!

For my Kimber Compact Lwt. .45, I think I may be going to the AO tritium Big Dot front and "Express" rear sight for quick aiming, such as might be required in a defensive situation where I have time to use the sights.

Hate to tell you this but .... well, there's a REASON that most of the Olympic class shooters are YOUNG! Not to fear, though. Old age and treachery solve a LOT of problems, and even trump the young and dumb syndrome pretty regularly .... not always, but regularly. ;-)

Four Fingers of Death
02-12-2006, 01:29 AM
I picked up an old Weirauch Olympic style target air rifle some years ago. The aperture is so small I can't se through it unless I'm outside on a bright day and then barely.

Frank46
02-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Mick, standard practice with me is that when I get a rear receiver sight I drill out the aperture as big as I can. I have a few target discs that basically have pin holes for the eyeballs to peep through. So when I use em out comes the variable speed drill and voila I can see through them. I have not resorted removing the disc entirely, yet. Frank

BD
02-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey Pepe Ray, I figured you might show up here sooner or later. How ya been?

I've been messing around with the the old eyes issue for a few years. I'm wearing trifocals these days. In the end I spent the money on a couple of pair of specs. For action pistol I have a pair of "Occupational Grind" bifocals. These have the midrange, (arms length), prescription ground into the top and bottom third of both lenses, with the distance perscription in the middle, and they can be had in polycarbonate, an important consideration. They are coomon among airline pilots and finish carpenters, both of whom need to see detail at arms length over head. They put your pistol sights into focus and leave the target a bit blurry.
For rifle shooting I had a special pair of bifocals made with the right lense, (my dominate eye), in the midrange presciption and the left lense in the distance grind. the inset lower lense on both is a close up grind. The optical center of the dominate eye is moved up and in toward the center to line up on the sights. These are also polycarbonate. Takes a little getting used to but it keeps your sights in focus, lets you see the target with your off side eye and lets you focus on the rifles action when necessary without breaking position. This has let me do pretty good in the rifle events against some much youger shooters. As long as I remember to remove the dry fire device before starting the match :).
BD