PDA

View Full Version : Leftover bullets

Jack Stanley
03-26-2009, 10:05 PM
The loading companies would call it an "overrun" ....... or not considering it was only fifteen bullets .

I had made a less than three hundred Lyman 311466 bullets and had them lubed with a light coat of liqiud alox for use in the 30-06 . No sizing and no gas check for these , loaded them over a light charge of universal Clays and stacked them neatly into a thirty caliber ammo can for later blasting .

What to do with the leftover bullets ? Well , since the alloy was soft anyway , I decided to give a try and flattening the nose just in case I ever wanted to blow out the lights of a woodchuck or the like . I had a .312" die in the lube sizer and changed the nose puch to the flat one I used to use for the Lyman "oil can" bullets . I adjusted the stop so that when the flattening began , I would get a flat of about two hundred thousanths across . It didn't have to deform a lot and the rest of the body seemed unchanged so I loaded them into the same powder charge I'd been using .

Fifteen rounds in the loading block , seven of them had been deformed by pushing into the dies base first , the other eight nose first . Normally I would have put a light crimp at the third band from the front but forgot to reset the depth of the seating die .

All worked out well because they all fed from the magazine of the 03 just fine and grouped almost as well as the unmodified bullets . I think a more consistant crimp would have helped so maybe next time I load this type of round . I'll clean up my act and do it right , then go find a woodchuck 8-)

Jack

runfiverun
03-26-2009, 11:18 PM
welcome to the world of nose bumping.