PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Sharps?

Matt Muir
03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Hello all, does anyone have any experience with 34 inch scopes for a 45-70? I am trying to find out if the one from MVA is better than the scope from RHO. Also any input on who has the better/accurate mounts would be great as well.

Thanks , Matt

NickSS
03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Several of m y Friends Have MVA scopes and they are top drawer optics and mounts. I have had an opportunity to use them and I like them a lot. Now I am saving my money so that I can buy one in a year or two. That is if I do not sell any of my rifles to pay for one.

Matt Muir
03-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Nick, I was leaning towards the MVA but I thought the RHO looked more period correct.

Matt

Boz330
03-28-2009, 08:50 AM
I have the 23" MVA on a 40-65 highwall and love it. The main reason that I went with the MVA was they have an adjustment for windage on the rear mount, and it has the sliding scope mount. The RHO is mounted solid and I was concerned about the recoil loosening the dovetails up and you have a greater range of options with mount spacing with the MVA, which affects your range of movement on the scales.
The only down side that I have found is that you have to get used to taking the backlash out of the knobs if you want to go change directions on the sights.

Bob

Kenny Wasserburger
03-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I use the MVA 23 inch Model in both Silhouette And Creedmoor, their service is second to none and the Scopes work quite well.

Mine have served me very Well.
The Lunger

runnin lead
03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I think with the RHO you have to mount in front & rear sight dovetails after removing your sights. The way that my MVA is , I had to have a gunsmith drill & tap the barrel to put dovetail blocks on it, you don't have too remove your sights other than your tang sight. Excelent scope.

Matt Muir
03-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys. I was thinking about the 34 inch model just so I would not have to drill and tap. I guess you would need to drill for the 23 inch right?

runnin lead
03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Having the dove tail blocks is nice ,you don't have to remove your front sight to put the scope on & replace the front siglt & re zero ,E_Z to move from one rifle to another.
With the front windage adjustments writen down in my sight setting notebook I can change from one rifle to another in minuites,it shure is nice to have a scope when shooting test loads
, only have to pull the tang sight from the base.
When I orderd this scope I had no idea how conveniant those blocks would be