PDA

View Full Version : What is paper patching?

ghh3rd
03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I keep hearing about paper patching, but must admit that I'm not sure exactly what it is. I assume that it's only for the smoothbore rifles, correct. How does it work?

I've put off asking this because it seems like I should already know, but my desire to know overrode my hesitation to ask - so....

Thanks,

Randy

docone31
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
The paper jacket is a better jacket than copper in most applications.
In other words, if you have a rifle bullet jacketed in copper, paper does the same thing with less pressure for the same load.
It also gives you more control over sizing.

AZ-Stew
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Small voids in poorly cast boolits are covered with scraps of paper attached using Super Glue. :kidding:

Paper patched boolits are cast several thousandths smaller in diameter than standard cast boolits. The boolits are smooth-sided (no lube grooves). They are individually wrapped in a couple of layers of high-quality paper (usually bond paper) and the excess paper is twisted into a small "tail" at the boolit base. these are trimmed to make them uniform. The boolits are loaded and fired like any other cast projectile. They are normally used in rifles, rather than handguns. They are normally used in rifled barrels.

Regards,

Stew

ghh3rd
03-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have a couple of more questions now.

Paper patched boolits are cast several thousandths smaller in diameter than standard cast boolits.

If they are smaller in diameter in order to accomodate the thickness of the paper, won't they be too small to seat properly in the barrel?

They are individually wrapped in a couple of layers of high-quality paper (usually bond paper) and the excess paper is twisted into a small "tail" at the boolit base.

What happens to the paper? If the tail of the bullet is the 'driving end', won't the paper 'tail' somehow cause a deviation (until the paper is gone)?

Randy

docone31
03-26-2009, 04:50 PM
No.
I use standard molds with lube grooves. I down size them, then wrap them up to groove plus .001. This usually means down sizing the paper patch.
The paper, and tail exit at the muzzle. The confetti is interesting at the range. It is interesting to watch the folks with their spray and pray rifles watching the confetti. It is also interesting to watch them compare their targeting with mine.
You should surf on the paper patching section here. You might find it interesting indeed.
All your questions, past and future will be there.

briang
03-26-2009, 06:41 PM
So if I understand this right the paper is basically a sabot?

docone31
03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
That is a fair description.

AZ-Stew
03-26-2009, 07:10 PM
So if I understand this right the paper is basically a sabot?

And so is a copper jacket, except that the jacket isn't designed to leave the core during flight.

Doc is correct that you can use a lube-grooved boolit for paper patching, but as he said, it has to be sized smaller to accommodate the thickness of the paper. The lube grooves serve no purpose in this application. Boolits that are designed from the ground up as paper patch boolits have smooth sides.

Regards,

Stew

Rockchucker
03-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Glad you asked that question Randy , I was fixin to. I just figured that it would come up in a thread sooner or later.
Ron

sheepdog
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
So this is usually done in higher end precision shooting? Assuming barrel wear is alot less.