PDA

View Full Version : 40 core seat die for 41 bullets?

BT Sniper
03-26-2009, 01:39 PM
As many of you know I try to save money when I can and was wondering if a core seating die for the .401 bullets could also be used to swage .410 bullets as well. This would allow 2 different bullets from the price of 1 1/2 dies.

Have a new project making .458 bullets, I'm going to use my .429 core seating die as a core swage die to even out weights for the .458 cores. I would think this could work for other calibers too. Just use the next size smaller core seating die to make equall weight cores for the larger bullets you are making.

What do you guys think?

kawalekm
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
As many of you know I try to save money when I can and was wondering if a core seating die for the .401 bullets could also be used to swage .410 bullets as well. This would allow 2 different bullets from the price of 1 1/2 dies.

Have a new project making .458 bullets, I'm going to use my .429 core seating die as a core swage die to even out weights for the .458 cores. I would think this could work for other calibers too. Just use the next size smaller core seating die to make equall weight cores for the larger bullets you are making.

What do you guys think?
HI BT
One of the things I've observed is that the force required for final swaging is significantly less than core seating. I think that means that most of the work to bring the bullet to the right diameter is being done during the seating stage. By using a smaller core for 41 caliber bullets, you probably would have to increase the amount of force applied back up to those pressure levels. I don't know whether or not the swage die is designed to operate at that high a pressure.

The minimum amount of parts (purchased from CH) to accomplish making a .41 bullet would be a punch (25.22$), die body (50.35$) and ejector (13.89$) with a total of 89$. You'd save 40$ but you'd have to go through lots a disassembly and readjustment swapping parts from other die sets. Is that worth 40$? In the long run, I would think just the convenience of pulling out the dies ready to go would make up for an initial savings.

I know that CH makes .451" die set, but how will you be making .458"? Do they market that size also or will you be going with Corbin? CH does make custom sizes for 215$, so would even spending that much be cheaper than going with Corbin? Sticking with the same overall dimensions I used for my 35 caliber rifle bullet, I'm guessing that a 45ACP case would make a great bullet in the 300-350 grain range. Can't wait to see your results!
Michael

BT Sniper
03-28-2009, 01:12 AM
All good points Michael. I know my .429 seated cores come out at .425. So to take a core of .398 up to .410 might be a streach. How about swaging up a .401 bullet to .410? As far as cost I have access to a lathe and make the internal parts as well as the punch. I'll show you some latter. So it would just be the .401 core seat die and swage die ($90) plus the .410 swage die ($50) for a total of about $140. Just a thought as I'm curious to hear if any one has been sucessfull bumping up the size of these bullets 9 thousands.

The .458 die my friend bought off the internet from the shooters shack. Havn't recieved it yet. Bought a used 105 series CH .451 die I'll use to reduce the 45 acp case as well as seat a core. 400 grains is the goal. I'll keep you informed.

Any future dies will hope to make myself on a laythe. 300 grain .338 VLDs is the goal here:)

kawalekm
03-28-2009, 10:02 AM
All good points Michael. I know my .429 seated cores come out at .425. So to take a core of .398 up to .410 might be a streach. How about swaging up a .401 bullet to .410? As far as cost I have access to a lathe and make the internal parts as well as the punch. I'll show you some latter. So it would just be the .401 core seat die and swage die ($90) plus the .410 swage die ($50) for a total of about $140. Just a thought as I'm curious to hear if any one has been sucessfull bumping up the size of these bullets 9 thousands.
Any future dies will hope to make myself on a lathe. 300 grain .338 VLDs is the goal here:)

I haven't tried it yet, but I know that other people like Dean Grennell (ABC's author) bumped up bullets one caliber. If you can make all your own parts, then that's more money saved. I want a lathe too. Can I have yours once you're finished?