PDA

View Full Version : drop in cylinder?

nekshot
03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Would someone please enlighten me as to how a 45 conversion cylinder can be put in a 44 cal revolver with no modification? What do you do with the 44 cal barrel on the original gun ? Seems a little tight to me. This advertisement in the catalogs always intriqued me. Has any ony done and would you do it again?

oldhickory
03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Would someone please enlighten me as to how a 45 conversion cylinder can be put in a 44 cal revolver with no modification? What do you do with the 44 cal barrel on the original gun ? Seems a little tight to me. This advertisement in the catalogs always intriqued me. Has any ony done and would you do it again?

The bore diameter of .44 cap and ball revolvers usually run .451-.457. Depending largely on the maker/model. That's why you can use a cylinder chambered for .45 Colt in them. The bore of a .36 revolver runs around .375 or so. Just take a look at the diameter listed on the commercial swaged balls for these revolvers and you'll get an idea of the bore size.

The only real advantage I see for a conversion cylinder would be to have the gun in a loaded state for days, weeks at a time. The "split" cylinder design doesn't lend itself to rapid reloading as it must be removed from the revolver to be loaded/reloaded. A conversion with straight bored through chambers, loading gate, and ejector rod make a lot more sense, although it's not a "drop-in" project.

Boz330
03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
The 44 designation comes from the land diameter, not the groove. The groove diameter is 450 or more. My replica Walker for example was 440 lands and 466 groves. The rifling was .013 deep.

Bob

nekshot
03-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks fellas for bringing clarity to me on this. I always thought this would be a fun project but I have too many projects and not enough time/money.

BPJunky
03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Nekshot..Thanks for asking that question..I have been trying to find info on the same thing. I was just looking at the Kirst website and they also have a "complete" conversion that has a loading gate and ejector rod...My problem is my Remington is an older Armi San Marco and Im not sure anyone still has the conversion cylinders...I am wondering if a cylinder for a Uberti or Pietta could be made to work.

Old Ironsights
03-26-2009, 04:59 PM
I had a kirst in my ROA for a while... Made an accurate gun even more accurate if that is possible.

Also made the gun "legal" for Deer in Indiana. It's not legal with C&B but IS with the Conversion cylinder... even if the "Cowboy" loads you are supposed to use run slower than my .45 REAL front-stuffer loads. Go figure.

Dumb me sold the lot for a project...

NickSS
03-27-2009, 07:43 PM
I have a remington replica revolver and an R&D conversion cylinder for it. I have used the conversion cylinder enough to know that it is a good item to have. However, the pistol does not shoot to the same point of aim with 200 gr RNFPs in the 45 colt as the round ball does in the c&b cylinder. If I load the 45 colt with the same BP charge I use in the C&B cylinder and put a RB over the charge it shoots to the same point of aim. That is the way I mostly use it as I am interested in accuracy more that power. However, I have shot 250 gr RNFP bullets with 6 gr of Red Dot in it and have had no problems they just hit about 8 inches high at 25 yards.

garandsrus
03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
We had to put a new front sight on a ROA so that we could get on target with the .45 LC cylinder. It was shooting about 12" high at 25 yds compared to BP and a round ball.

John