PDA

View Full Version : Herter's U-3 Model Super Why Excatly?

Newfoundlander2
03-26-2009, 12:19 PM
I just acquired a Herter's Model U-3 Super to go with my 0-3 Super and Maximum. The question I have is what, if any, benefit this press had over the 0-3 Super?http://picasaweb.google.ca/gsbanfield/Herters?feat=directlink

MT Chambers
03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Everything sold by Herters back in the day was "super", or the "best", ever see their catalog?

Newfoundlander2
03-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Yes I have but all these presses were all offered concurrently IIRC. Herter's farmed out their press manufacturing so they must have perceived a need that would make customers choose the "O" over the "U" models and vise versa.

Pressman
03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
You ask a good question, and there is no answer, yet. Probably will not be able to sort that one out until I can locate someone who actually worked for Herter's and had design and/or marketing input.
The O-3 is my favorite of the 3 series presses. Stronger than teh 3Super and much easier to use than the U-3. Interesting that the O-3 was short lived, about 5 years. The U-3 it is patterned from lasted 9 years.
Ken

1hole
03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Just as auto makers offer a tremendous variey of models for no good reason except they sell, Herter's did too.

Like Sear's, Herter's made nothing. They contracted with makers to produce items with the Herter's logo. Some of it was a standard item. Some, like Sear's, had specific features Geo. Herter wanted included. All of it was good guality for the price, some of it was excellant for the price. They had a vast array of good tools and parts for the reloader, hobbiest and pro gunsmith, archer, fisherman, camper, etc. NO one has ever approached the variety of products sold by the Herters.

The passing of Herter's was a sad day for woods, water and field sportsmen of all types. And mostly it was due to the same government that is working very hard to make everything all better in businesses across the nation today. NOT!

mikenbarb
03-27-2009, 09:20 AM
The difference is the strength of the press. The U was one of their strongest presses with a triple web C frame made as one plus it offered an added safety feature of a shrouded cartridge loading area. I guess you could consider it a blast shield as they said it and they state that its the same design Incorporated in a missile base.LOL. I own every press made by Herter's and their all the strongest presses I have ever used or seen made by anyone. Its a shame their not still around because they made some real good stuff. My favorite is the Super 81 two ram press and the Super 234 turret.