PDA

View Full Version : Gas check question - .375 for .358"

selmerfan
03-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Okay,
so I made a trade recently where I made the ASSumption that I was trading for 1650 .358" gas checks. [smilie=b: Turns out, they are 1650 .375" gas checks. The problem is, I don't cast for anything in that diameter! :) I decided to see if my Lyman 4500 would swage them down onto a gas check shank, and wadda ya know, they will! Are there any foreseeable drawbacks to doing this, or should I go ahead with it? Or would y'all just recommend trading them for .358" checks? Opinions welcome.
Selmerfan

S&W-57Man
03-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I have a similar problem, I bought a .41 Mag. around 84 and enjoyed shooting the gun very much. However, I noticed that the ammunition seemed high price. I decided to get a reloading die for the gun and did. Later, I decided to stop buying bullets which was manufactured by some company and make them myself. I purchased a #410610 bullet mold and fell in love with that bullet, which requires a gas check; at least the bullet has an area for a gas check. Currently, the gas checks are hard to find and/or high price, for what they are. I was wondering if I could simply use gas checks for .44 or something closer. As I looked through the Hornady program, I find a bullet gas check much closer (.416) if my memory serves me correctly. Just get the gas checks which are slightly larger and send them through the .410 sizing die? Helpful comments would be very much appreciated.

DanLee
03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Selmerfan, why doncha load up a few and see what results you get? Report back to us.

Dan

PA Shootist
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I can't imagine how you would start the oversize gas check into the sizer die, and get it placed centrally and evenly. And a c rooked gas check is the kiss of death to an accurate bullet. Am I overlooking something?

Doc Highwall
03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I would trade them, but on the other hand it is a good start for a excuse to buy another gun in 38-55 or .375dia.