PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a small cemet mixer as a Tumbler?

Muddy Creek Sam
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Howdy all,

The other day when GP100man was at the house, we were talking about the fact that I wanted to convert to a liquid based tumbler. He pointed to my electric Cement mixer and said there's you tumbler. Has anyone used a small cemet mixer as a Tumbler? Did you take the paddles out?
:shock:
Thanks,

Sam :D

Cherokee
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
I know they have been used - one I saw had the paddles in it. Was used by a commercial reloader. It would handle a really big load of brass.

870TC
03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
There was one posted on here, somewhere, bought at Harbor Freight. They did take the paddles out, if I recall correct. Only problem was making a cover to keep the dust down.

oneokie
03-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Do a search for threads started by, or posts by "house dad". Has pictures.

Muddy Creek Sam
03-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Oneokie,

Found it, Now to figure out Water Soap and Ceramic media!

Sam :D

leadeye
03-26-2009, 02:23 PM
A guy I knew here in Indiana Kent Lomont used one of those to tumble everything from 9mm to 50 BMG. It worked very well.

schutzen
03-26-2009, 02:49 PM
About 25 years ago I had the chance to observe a cement mixer tumbler in action. There was a commercial reloader near here using one. He would run 5K of .38 Specials per run. He left the steel paddles in the mixer, but attached 1/4" rubber belting to both sides of the paddles.

Harbor Freight has several small to medium sized electric cement mixers reasonably priced. It might be worth a try if you are running large lots of brass.

powderburnerr
03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I use one all the time .. it is a plastic drummed one and I put 25 pounds of ceramic media in it and all the brass i want I slowed the agitation on iot down and it actually works a lot better , there are no fins in it only a couple folds in the plastic drum.......Dean

Char-Gar
03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Some years back, in San Antionio, Texas, I was at the shop of a large commercial reloader. He tumbled his cases in acement mixer and used rolls of shredded paper towels for a polishing media. Seemed to work just fine.

shotman
03-26-2009, 07:25 PM
They are the only way you can do large [3or4 100lbs] of brass or shot. I dont have a problem with the paddles but mine are not open at the drum. If they have a space brass could hang up there. rick