PDA

View Full Version : Rust prevention for powder measure

BCall
03-26-2009, 02:29 AM
I recently bought a used RCBS Uniflow measure. It was advertised with a picture that was not the actual picture of the measure, and then it was packed poorly and the hopper was broken in shipping(I assume it was). The seller refused to pay return shipping, and instead just refunded my money and said keep it-if it is unusable why would I want it back. SO now I have a rusted broken powder measure.

I called RCBS, and after explaining my situation, they are shipping me a replacement hopper for free(great service, even though I bought it used and explained it was broken in shipping, they still refused payment), and I have been working on cleaning the rust off and making it usable.

Now though, I am worried that after spending all of this time cleaning and buffing the rust out, that it may want to try and rust again. I am a little leary of just oiling the parts, as I do not want powder sticking or oil migrating in any of the powder. Am I just being picky, or does anybody have a better suggestion for rust prevention? The drums were not rusted, but both the large and small adjustment screws had quite a bit of rust on them, as did the threads on the bottom of the measure itself. Thanks for any help, Billy

rugerman1
03-26-2009, 03:41 AM
I use car wax on my blued steel rifles and pistols.I have no idea if that would work on a powder measure as far as static build-up or powder interaction.

timkelley
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Just buff them off to get rid of the rust and wax as suggested by rugerman1. My measure had the same rust problem and the wax will take care of it.

Shiloh
03-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I use car wax on my blued steel rifles and pistols.I have no idea if that would work on a powder measure as far as static build-up or powder interaction.

Thats what I did with my E-Bay RCBS Uniflow. Very light rust, buff & polish, wax,
re-assemble and enjoy. Good as new.

Shiloh

Green Frog
03-26-2009, 10:40 AM
In my experience, wax and gun powder in a measuring device really do not make for a good working relationship. Buff it clean and bright, lubricate it lightly with powdered graphite available for squirting in locks, and keep it dry. If you use any kind of funky smokeless powder (or any kind of black) take it apart, clean, and relube.

Froggie

PS Wiping a used dryer sheet inside the powder reservoir seems to help a lot if static electricity is a problem.