PDA

View Full Version : hornady LNL vs dillon 650

par0thead151
03-26-2009, 12:32 AM
I am specking out a press for my buddy and am pushing him towards the dillon, as i have the same platform and am familiar with it.
he has found the hornady L-N-L and is reading it is equal to the dillon. personally i cant say it is not as i have never used one or even seen it in person
what does the reloading hive mind say? is the dillon worth the extra expense?
thanks

Willbird
03-26-2009, 08:20 AM
I think if you sit down and add up the TOTAL price it will cost to load say 4 different calibers the Hornady will not show up as being as cheap as you think. The LNL bushing cost starts to add up.

There are enough kinds of press's out there for everybody I guess.

But one thing you can offer up is that if he goes 650 you guys can lend conversions back and forth for calibers that you do not load as often.

Bill

jmorris
03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I have owned both; the LNL is cheaper to start with. If you add a case feeder they get pretty close. The difference is that the Dillon already comes with the case feeding mechanism; the collator (hopper) is the only extra cost. With the LNL the case feeder is a kit with all of the parts to convert the machine, so it costs more, is a PITA to set up and just doesn’t work as well as the Dillon.

My LNL did not provide the same level of “ease of production” as my 650’s so I sold it. The gentleman that purchased it, having never loaded with a Dillon, is very happy with it.

That brings up another point Dillon’s retain much of there value despite being used. With the LNL those “free” bullets cost you upon resale.

GSPKurt
04-02-2009, 09:43 AM
My LNL did not provide the same level of “ease of production” as my 650’s so I sold it. The gentleman that purchased it, having never loaded with a Dillon, is very happy with it.

You are too kind! Yes, I am VERY happy with it. I don't use an electric casefeeder, as I like to inspect the case as I insert it. And, I moved up from a Loadmaster, so I am in my own little section of reloading nirvana, so to speak! http://cdn.content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/000202BD.gif

jmorris
04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Small world! At least they know I wasn't lying and one can be happy with either.

moved up from a Loadmaster, so I am in my own little section of reloading nirvana, so to speak!

Yet another true statement.

standles
04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
As these invariably devolve into a Mine is better than youres debate I will simply say....

I have owned both and not own no Hornandy but 4 Dillons (550,1050, and 2 (SDB)

That is my testimony

Ron B.
04-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Interesting thread! :coffee:

I've never owned Dillon presses; can't help you there. But, I do own two Hornadys LNLs. Neither is a perfect machine. But, since I never load anything start to finish, the Hornadys suit me just fine. I do everything in stages; and the Hornadys are a pleasure. Reloading in excess of 10 calibers, I do a lot of reloading. And, knowing from experience how quickly things can mess up, I strive for safety. By stages, here is what I mean.

Preparing used brass:
I cycle them through, with decapping/sizing die in place, prime, and bell. The brass then goes into my Dillon 2000 tumbler for cleaning/polishing. All my brass, stored in ammo cans, inside cloth bags is primed, belled, cleaned; ready to re-load.

Reloading
The primed/cleaned brass is cycled; using only my Hornady powder dispenser in place, charging all cases, transfering each case to a bullet tray. Once I carefully inspect the level of powder in each case, I remove the powder dispenser replacing it with my bullet seating die. Then the charged cases receive their bullets! If taper crimping is needed, it's done also.

Yes, it's slow; I like slow when reloading.

Good luck in helping your friend!
GRB

Shiloh
04-02-2009, 11:26 AM
My bias is towards Dillon. I never owned a Hornady so I have no way to compare. I am completely happy with my Dillon.

I just stripped out the threads of the Primer Housing and Shield. Part # 20263. This is on a 20 year old machine purchased 2nd hand. It was upgraded to a 550B years ago. Called Dillon with customer # and credit card in hand, and ordered the part. Total Bill: No Charge!! Told the guy I was more than happy to pay, No Charge. Let me at least pay the shipping, No Charge. The machine is 20 years old purchased 2nd hand, No Charge. It was probably over-tightened on several occasions in the 20 years I owned it. No Charge, this happens form time to time.

With service like that, and I have had it from time to time as things broke or wore out. I don't need to go with a different company or machine.

Shiloh

Shiloh
04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Update.

My part was ordered late afternoon on Friday Mar 27. Just received my part from Dillon.
Prompt service!!

Shiloh

August
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I have owned both. The Dillon is potentially faster and you'll soon be knocking out rounds as fast as they claim. Because of the advance mechanism, the Dillon also tends to be a bit smoother.

The Hornady is much more flexible -- you can easily alter the process during a run. It is much safer in that there are no reported chain fires of the primer magazine on the LnL, and it's hard to see how that might happen. It is faster and easier to recover from a mistake on the Hornady.

ph4570
04-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I have two Dillon 550Bs. One grew up from a 450 that I purchased new about 25 years ago. The other I found as a garage dweller. It was hardly used but was foul and corroded from damp garage elements. I called Dillon, told them I bought a 550 at a garage sale but that it was in grave need of an overhaul. I paid $20 to ship it to them and it came back as new with no charge.

I cannot speak of the Hornady LNL. However, I do have a Hornaday 366 shotshell loader and it is a fine machine.

Bret4207
04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I bought the Hornady because I don't like to deal with nasty people on the phone (Dillon, I've heard too many stories from people I trust) and with the Hornady I got $1000.00 in free bullets. That makes a big difference in the final cost, not sure they still offer that deal.

dromia
04-03-2009, 03:57 AM
I am specking out a press for my buddy and am pushing him towards the dillon, as i have the same platform and am familiar with it.
he has found the hornady L-N-L and is reading it is equal to the dillon. personally i cant say it is not as i have never used one or even seen it in person
what does the reloading hive mind say? is the dillon worth the extra expense?
thanks

This is an intersting comparison.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

I use the L n L after terrible treatment from a Dillon rep and the fact that the Hornady is at least as good as the Dillon 650, and yes I've used both, but cheaper. A no brainer really.

mag44uk
04-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Hi Adam,
I too have the LNL press and it is so much better than the Loadmaster I had before!
The only problem I have is the retaining spring breaks fairly regularly. I have had the press about 4 years now and must have gone through 10 springs. I did get half a dozen FOC from Hornady.
Do you,or any one else,have the same failure rate?
Regards,
Tony

jmorris
04-03-2009, 08:15 AM
and with the Hornady I got $1000.00 in free bullets.

$1000 in free bullets for $360, hell you can keep the machine.

Seriously, if you get rifle bullets instead of say 9mm you get a pretty good deal. I bought the LNL for .308 but it indexes half on the down stroke and half on the up stroke. If I put a bullet in the mouth of the case and lower the handle the tip would hit the die. So, I had to put the bullet up it the die then align it with the case once it was fully indexed.

It might have just been the dies I used but it was still a PITA. I would have kept it for pistol rounds but I already have 4 Dillon’s covering that area.

dromia
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi Adam,
I too have the LNL press and it is so much better than the Loadmaster I had before!
The only problem I have is the retaining spring breaks fairly regularly. I have had the press about 4 years now and must have gone through 10 springs. I did get half a dozen FOC from Hornady.
Do you,or any one else,have the same failure rate?
Regards,
Tony

Hi Tony

No I haven't had a problem with the springs, mind you I thought I would so I ordered half a dozen when I bought the unit and never had to use them yet.

I'm not hammering it, 250 - 500 rounds a month go through it thats all.

The spring did separate once at the join but I just twisted it back together and all was well.

I have heard that they work best if there aren't any kinks in them.

I've had mine 4 years as well.

I have an RCBS AmmoMaster progressive and thats a fine machine too, shame they stopped making them.

Ron B.
04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Mine once ate bullet retaining springs! In fact, both did. The last time I called in, regarding the spring problem of course Hornady sent me three more springs. But they also suggested I speak to "Bob". He's a tech there. Anyway, he suggested I take emory cloth to the top of the ram after removing the shell-plate. I was instructed to smooth down all edges along the loading ramp area. The thing about those springs; at least what I found is, once messed up they will track around the ram top, leaving rings. He instructed me to smooth them out the best I could. After buffing, polishing I must admit his advice helped. My Dremel, dressed with a buffing head helped also. Over the years, I've probably been through 2 dozen springs. Since performing the buffing/polishing I'm still using the same spring. Be careful if you try this procedure not to get too aggressive. A good flat piece of wood, used with your emory cloth is a good start. Also, don't over-torque your shell-plate bolt. A good "snug" is all you need; again, according to "Bob".

About those free bullets Bret4207; didn't you mean you received 1000 FREE Bullets? Not $1000 worth? :Fire::Fire::Fire:

Thanks,
GRB

Charlie
04-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I've been using a LNL with a shell feeder for 4 years to load 5 different calipers and I'm very happy with it. I went with the Hornady because it was significanly cheaper than the 650 at the time.

Changing calipers is very quick and the bayonet mount for the dies makes it easy to pull the seating or crimp die to clean out any built up lube. The caliper insert in the power measure makes it possible to set the charge weight in one step by just dialing in a number on the vernier.

I typically load 100 45 ACP rounds in just under 10 minutes. This is a comfortable pace with no rushing. 500 rounds in just under an hour including the time to refill primers & shell feeder and empty the round bin.

I've never had to call Hornady for any service but I know several people who bought used presses in bad condition & sent them back. Hornady overhauled them at no charge with no questions asked.

Both are good quality presses backed by good warrenties and either is a good choise.

Recluse
04-04-2009, 01:10 AM
There's a fella that comes around here from time to time by the name of "Dave in Flowery" something in Georgia. My apologies to Dave for not remembering the exact name of the Atlanta suburb he resides in.

Dave is a wealth of knowledge in reloading in general, but especially so in comparing the Dillon machines with the Hornady, as well as with the Lee Classic machines. He favors the Lock 'n' Load progressive, which he owns, and I believe he sold/traded a Dillon to get the Hornady.

It basically boils down to personal preferences. Both are top-shelf machines. I give a definite nod to Dillon for more consistent quality parts and merchandise and HONORING their commitment to that quality. In the past few years, I've had a few minor disagreements with Hornady over their handling of warranties on dies. As a result, it is highly unlikely that I will ever buy any new dies from Hornady.

I've used a (Dillon) 550B off and on for a long time and it is a superb machine. Were I wanting high-volume production, though, I would move up to the Dillon 650 with zero hesitation. But that's just my preference. I've messed around a little with the Hornady machine and it feels very, very solid.

At the end of the day, they ALL produce good ammunition so long as YOU do your part. Some machines are just easier for some people to operate. I'll occasionally cuss Dillon because I feel they are almost cult-like in how they promote themselves and how they like to promote brand snobbery.

To quote an old shooting partner, "The only damn thing I like about Dillon is their equipment."

:coffee:

shotman
04-04-2009, 09:11 AM
well I will put my .02 in I have not used a L_N_L I did look at some prices. I bought a Dillon 650 and THEN looked at prices. I found that you can buy parts from Dillon and save a lot of money on cal changes. Dillon is hard to change cal. The die holder is thick and that makes it hard to use 5 dies in it, with the reg size lock rings. I dont like the shell retaining pins , they are brass and hard to find when you drop one. I made a case feeder from a Lee and it works good and cost only about $25. I dont change the cal offen so I like the 650 for a good reload. I did get the after market powder adjuster. I makes things easy.

mag44uk
04-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the the replies re the spring. I was suprised to get through so many!
I do like the press and dont hammer it. I like to keep it all in control and probably only do 200 an hour!
I will have a look at the base plate for burrs etc.
Never thought to try and put the spring back together.....doh!
I understand that the new LNL has had the round ejector modified.
Any one using one have any comments on this "upgrade"?
Cheers,
Tony

Bret4207
04-04-2009, 09:33 AM
". About those free bullets Bret4207; didn't you mean you received 1000 FREE Bullets? Not $1000 worth? :Fire::Fire::Fire:

Thanks,
GRB

Could be, my remeberer doens;t work so good anymore. Being presidentof the local procrastinators club I haven't sent in the rebate form yet, I have till sometime in 2010 IIRC, but I thought the ads all said $1000.00 worth I believe. I'll have to get the forms out and mail them in and make sure. Keep in mind $1000.00 at MSRP is about $600.00 or less wholesale and I'm sure Hornady has at least a 40% mark up from cost, probalby more like 200% so I figure it'll only cost Hornady $40-50.00, if that.

Ron B.
04-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey Bret,
You're may be mistaken; Hornady's promotion reads 1000 bullets when you purchase the LNL-AP.

I took advantage of their rebate last year myself on two different Hornady products. I received 1000 bullets for the purchase of my second LNL-AP; 100 for the purchase of a Hornady Powder Dispenser. Regardless, it's a sweet deal.

Good luck,
GRB

GrizzLeeBear
04-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, its 1000 free bullets, not $1000 worth of bullets (I wish!).

I've had my LNL since December. I've only loaded about 400 rounds of .223 on it so far. The only problem with it so far is the retaining spring. I keep getting kinks. The original one kinked and got bound up after about 150 rounds, which bent/streched the spring so it was useless. Sent an email to Hornady and got 2 new ones within a week FOC. The second one now has a couple of small kinks but is still running after another 250 rounds or so. Mine has the new EZject shellplate carrier. Works fine, except when an a kink in the spring lines up with an ejecting round. The kink sometimes doesn't allow the spring to dip down like its supposed to and it "hangs on" to the round, rather than letting it tip off. Not a huge deal, but is messes up your "cadence" as you clear the jam.
GRB, I'll have to try your advise about smoothing up the shellplate carrier etc. I haven't figured out where the spring is binding to create the kinks in the first place but I suspect it might be where it is lifted by the carrier as it turns from station #1 it #2.
I'm still getting used to it and the only other thing I am having an issue with is getting in the habit of pushing forward on the handle to seat the primer on the down stroke of the ram. I've had a couple rounds spill power all over when the round is ejected and theres no primer. DOH! But thats just operator error and I'm getting better at it.
One other tip for anyone looking to get one is to make sure when you set it up that the wheel on the primer slider lines up with the rod that it tracks on to move the slider. Easy adjustment by loosening the allen screw on the bracket on top of the press. Turn the rod slightly so the wheel tracks correctly and retighten the screw.

dromia
04-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Maybe we should set up an Hornady LnL AP users thread as sticky to share experiences, what do you all think?

mag44uk
04-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Good idea.
I have had issues with cases not dropping thru everytime.
Tony

mag44uk
04-05-2009, 05:57 AM
How about individual stickies for tips n tricks on individual makers presses?
Tony

Lloyd Smale
04-05-2009, 07:53 AM
been a dillon man all my life. Ive got 6 of there presses. I need a dedicated press to just load .223s on and ordred a hornady the other day just because of the bullet offer. I can get a 1000 .308 150 soft nosed bullets which will feed the ar10. If this press works out ill probably get anohter to load .308s. I have to be honest though. My buddy just did the same and got his set up and I ran it yesterday. Its a nice press but if it werent for the free bullets i think id stick with a 650. Alot of the reason may be that after so many years useing dillons the hornady felt akward. He didnt have a case feeder yet and you have to put the bullet and case on the press on the same side and that was slow. Im sure with a case feeder on it and some time with it it will work out fine.

Bret4207
04-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Okay, okay, so I was wrong. Nothing surprising about that! Still a heck of a deal IMO.

The stickies for various presses sounds good to me.

I'd like the case feeder, but boy! That doubles the price and I haven't even set mine up yet. I also saw a bullet feeder on You Tube, looks sweet.