PDA

View Full Version : Shooting as much ?

Johnch
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Is the current lack of stock and cost of primers , powder and ammo putting a crimp on the amount you are shooting ?

As for me
Localy primers are in real short supply to non existiant
And when you do find them
Sticker shock is the norm

The gun shop I normaly deal with has a few Large pistol primers and a K of LR mag primers and that is it
He has them on back order from several places

His last powder order , he got 1/3 of what was ordered and prices were up

Any one have any factory 380 auto ball
I have them on back order 2 places

I figure my shooting is down 40 - 50 %

John

Firebricker
03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
No not a whole lot any way. I'm always looking for small pp because every time I shoot the marlin 94 357 can't help but running through 2 or 3 hundred rounds. I stopped at bass pro shops in Birmingham,AL they had a few flats of spp @ about$3. I was hoping for a few thousand so it would be worth shipping them home no such luck. They did have a decent powder supply though.

mooman76
03-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Mine isn't down because of lack of components. It's lack of time for me. I have found primers, just haven't needed them much lately.

Ed Barrett
03-26-2009, 12:01 AM
I have about 4K to 5K of each size primer I got before the big price jump. I have several pounds of powder too. Shooting about the same amount, except for the weather no coperating.

runfiverun
03-26-2009, 12:35 AM
the primers are trickling through.
i picked up 5k small pistol match fed, 5k cci sr, and5k fed sr.
they were up in price from a month ago. so this must be the new price we are gonna pay 30-36$.
a 8 lb of i-4895 was 152 up 10 from earlier.
but at least they had it.

Throckmorton
03-26-2009, 02:21 AM
I have enough primers for 2 more sass matches,then it's .22's only for me...as long as I can make them last. :(
cannot find primers at all,very litttle powder available,and .22's are almost non existant as well.
ugh !!!!!!!!!

Rick N Bama
03-26-2009, 05:34 AM
I can't find any Winchester Small Rifle primers at all in my area. A local place has a small supply of everything else just no Winchester. I spotted a brick of CCI SR Benchrest primers priced at $59.99, ouch!

Rick

Sprue
03-26-2009, 08:49 AM
My shooting habits will be the same as years past, the only hinderance is weather.

Tom Herman
03-26-2009, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=mooman76;530035]Mine isn't down because of lack of components. It's lack of time for me.QUOTE]

I socked away a large amount of primers and powder last summer before the present crunch happened, so I have a good stock of components.
I just don't have the time to shoot much right now, and all of my brass that I have bullet molds for is loaded.
I hope to have my Lyman .38 mold come in soon (ordered in late Jan from Midway, estimated ETA mid April), then I can load up several thousand .38/.357....
The only concern I have is restocking what I'm using. Sometime in the next year or two I have to be able to get more power and primers.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

mooman76
03-26-2009, 11:07 AM
A lot of people have switched to Wolf primmers. New to most but they seem to be a little more attainable if you can find someone that carries them.

smokemjoe
03-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I am using large pistol primer in 41 swiss to save large rifle primers, I am going to keep shooting,You may get hit by a beer truck , but you will still have a primer left. Joe

monadnock#5
03-26-2009, 11:48 AM
So far so good. I've been away from High Power shooting for a couple of years, but will get back into it this summer. If component scarcity is still prevalent this time next year, it will require complete reprioritizing, and maybe some self rationing.