PDA

View Full Version : Lube Question - What did I do wrong? (or did I?)

HandgunHTR
03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Ok, here is the story. I took a stab at making my own lube. After reading the Lube sticky, I decided to make up my own recipe as well (I know, I know [smilie=1:)

Here is my recipe:

1lb of processed beeswax (little white pellets)
1 tablespoon of carnauba wax
2 tablespoons of Crisco
1 tablespoon Jojoba oil
2 tablespoons lanolin
2 tablespoons of grapefruit oil
1 tablespoon of ATF
1 pink crayon (for color)

I melted the beeswax and then added each ingredient one at a time making sure that it was mixed in well. Once that was done, I poured it into two cleaned out caulk tubes.

Based on the ingredients, I figured this would end up as a semi-hard lube that I wouldn't have to use a heater for. What I ended up with is a lube that is very hard and and brittle.

Did I do something wrong? Any input would be appreciated.

docone31
03-25-2009, 09:03 PM
55%Beeswax, 45% Vaseline, a tad of Marvel Mystery Oil for the teflon, some Castrol Synthetic Wax Stick.
Never had leading. Add more beeswax to stiffen.
I wonder the effect of ATF in the melt. It is usually not compatible.

leftiye
03-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Just add lithium grease to what you've got a little at a time until it softens up to what you want. Use the lithium grease that has molybdenum disulfide in it.

dubber123
03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Just add lithium grease to what you've got a little at a time until it softens up to what you want. Use the lithium grease that has molybdenum disulfide in it.

This or just some more ATF. I would add a heaping spoonful of finely grated Ivory soap, (mostly sodium stearate). Cook at slow heat until the soap dissolves. This helps the oils to bind with the waxes, and not seperate later. Relax, you can still make it work. :D

AZ-Stew
03-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Don't forget the eye of newt and wing of bat.

Regards,

Stew

JSnover
03-26-2009, 06:48 PM
More than 4 ingredients is too complicated for me. And it seems more than 60-65% wax by weight tends to get stiff, depending on what else is in it.

runfiverun
03-26-2009, 11:28 PM
i would just re add what you put in again sept the atf and crayon.
up to about 8% lithium grease would help too.