PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Scope Thoughts

Farmall 1066
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
I shoot a Navy Arms rolling block rifle made by Pedersoli. My eyes are terrible and I'd like to install a correct looking scope. With budget being a consideration, the Malcolm is about the only one in my price range. I'll just be using it mostly for informal long range plinking.
Any thoughts? How do they mount?
Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Andy

JSnover
03-25-2009, 05:13 PM
The rear mount screws to your barrel or a scope block. For heavy calibers they sell a mount plate that's supposed to keep the rear mount from beating itself to death under recoil. The front mount is a split dovetail; just slide it into your existing front sight dovetail cut and tighten by turning a pair of screws.

longhorn
03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Try contacting Montana Vintage Arms--don't they now sell Malcolm scopes and suitable mounts? Trouble is, the scope and mounts may cost more than the rifle did........I think perhaps that Mike Venturino has written about the MVA scope and its competitor (can't remember who that is..)

JSnover
03-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I think Leatherwood is the other company manufacturing Malcoms. You can probably buy from Buffalo Arms or Dixie Gun Works.

marlinman93
03-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Leatherwood scopes also come with mounts that fit into both front and rear dovetails. The Leatherwood Malcolm style scope mounts don't have a good reputation. They often don't hold up well to recoil.
I'm using an old Tasco scope I had rebuilt to new specs, then antiqued to match the old scopes, and added a set of Winchester mounts. It's held up very nicely to .45-70 loads with no problems at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/marlinguy/hepscp2.jpg

longhorn
03-25-2009, 11:56 PM
That Hepburn is a beauty! Original case and wood or redone? I'm drooling on the keyboard.....

marlinman93
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
That Hepburn is a beauty! Original case and wood or redone? I'm drooling on the keyboard.....

This Hepburn started out as a rusty action. The rest is all new, including barrel, case, engraving, etc... I did most of the work myself, except the engraving and casehardening, which Dale Woody did.-Vall

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/marlinguy/hepl.jpg

Jon K
03-27-2009, 01:03 AM
NICE!!!! Got me drooling too................

Jon

marlinman93
03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks!-Vall

Gunlaker
03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I bought a Leatherwood. Installed it very carefully accordind to the instructions. efore long (i.e. first trip to the range), it pulled loose from the dovetail. This is likely because it was a very poor fit to the front dovetail on my Pedersoli.

Chris.