PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 newbie

syh
03-25-2009, 02:59 AM
I've been casting 40 cal boolits for a while, and I'm ready to start reloading and casting for my 30-06. I've tried following through a bunch of the posts, but still have some big questions.

I'm looking to do some target shooting, and some deer hunting

1. are gas checks "needed" for shooting rifles at hunting velocities?

2. Do cast WW boolits work well for hunting, or do I need to make HP or soft-nose boolits?

3. Which of the many many molds should I purchase? I will need to measure the internal diameter of my rifle first, to match bullet size to the barrel, right? There seems to be about a million out there.

I'd really appreciate your advice/opinions, or even just links to threads with the answers.

Thanks!

docone31
03-25-2009, 09:46 AM
First off, I paper patch my .30s, including my O3-A3. I get jacketed performance with cast.
For what you are saying, yes, you need a gas check.
I use Lee molds. I would suggest the 200gn .30cal mold.
For what you are saying, I do reccomend paper patching. It is not that hard. On the paper patch section, I have several threads on paper patching what you have. I have done very well with patching. Better than with jacketeds.

GrizzLeeBear
03-25-2009, 09:52 AM
1. Yes.

2. Yes, but many like to cast 50% WW + 50% pure lead for hunting. HP or soft nose isn't needed (but some prefer). I suggest a flat nosed boolit.

3. The Lyman 311041 or the Lee C309-170-FN would be good choices for a hunting boolit.