PDA

View Full Version : Midway better enjoy it WHILE THEY CAN

Recluse
03-25-2009, 02:50 AM
:takinWiz: on Midway!

As everyone knows, backorders are a way of life--especially with Midway. I've been keeping my eye out for several things I've been both needing and wanting. Been watching all the mail order houses (MidSouth is my favorite, Midway is so-so to my least favorite, and F&M just plain vacuums worse than a 50hp shop vac).

Find a Lee mould that is now available at Midway that I've been waiting forever and a day for. Go to check out and find that they've upped their "minimum order" amount from $20 up to $25. [smilie=b:

Cranks me off, so I go searching everywhere else on the internet, but can't find this mould. Go back to Midway. Add just enough piddly items to get it barely over $25. During this time, I'm also placing an almost identical order with Midsouth.

Total them both up, and Midway is about 18% higher SIMPLY ON SHIPPING AND HANDLING, plus Midway is about 10% just on cost alone!

It galls the living Land of the Devil out of me when I have to buy from that bunch of freaking crooks. :killingpc

Just as there are a bunch of sorry-muled employers who better enjoy the "bad economy" based on how they're treating their employees, places like Midway that can and do gouge sure better enjoy this while they can. I'm getting sorely tempted to do WITHOUT before I spend another $%"&# dollar at Midway.

:takinWiz: on them.

:coffee:

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 03:08 AM
I've personally had good luck with them. Seems like whenever I go to look for a particular item to buy they are cheaper then the majority, and well under Suggested Retail.

Recluse
03-25-2009, 03:21 AM
I've personally had good luck with them. Seems like whenever I go to look for a particular item to buy they are cheaper then the majority, and well under Suggested Retail.

Yeah, but aren't you also the same guy who has an accurate AK-47?

I think you were conceived under a charm tree and born under a lucky star. Maybe you should be buying all of our lottery tickets? :-D

I think I was conceived on Friday the 13th, and when my momma went into labor and my daddy rushed her to the hospital, they ran over several black cats that were crossing their path along the way. When I was born, the doctor took one look at me and slapped my face instead of my butt, and I shrieked so loud it caused seven mirrors to break in the delivery room. As they were rolling me and my momma back to her room, the orderly wasn't paying attention and rolled us under a ladder as the final insurance to guarantee me a life of perpetual challenges. . . .

Slow Elk 45/70
03-25-2009, 03:30 AM
Recluse, MidSouth has always been cheaper than Midway IMHO. I have never bought anything from Midway that I can find at MidSouth, price and shipping as you said, but this didn't just start. Reloading supplies in general have been this way for a while.

Midway is taking advantage while they can, no argument from me for sure! But so are a LOT of other middle men in this business while they have the stick!!

The sun does not shine in the same dog's a-- forever...

EMC45
03-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Graf and sons is really good!

Gunslinger
03-25-2009, 06:40 AM

I think you were conceived under a charm tree and born under a lucky star. Maybe you should be buying all of our lottery tickets? :-D

I think I was conceived on Friday the 13th, and when my momma went into labor and my daddy rushed her to the hospital, they ran over several black cats that were crossing their path along the way. When I was born, the doctor took one look at me and slapped my face instead of my butt, and I shrieked so loud it caused seven mirrors to break in the delivery room. As they were rolling me and my momma back to her room, the orderly wasn't paying attention and rolled us under a ladder as the final insurance to guarantee me a life of perpetual challenges. . . .

Ha ha ha ha pretty freakin' but you seem to have forgotten that the oderly rammed a salt truck on the way back to your mommas room and spilled 2 tons of salt all over the street :-D

troy_mclure
03-25-2009, 06:45 AM
midway has always treated me good customer service wise.

qajaq59
03-25-2009, 07:06 AM
With Graf and Sons I find the price is a bit higher, but I save far more on the shipping. Consequently they get most of my business.

Chunky Monkey
03-25-2009, 07:11 AM
I like em all but it seems to me that Midsouth is usually a little cheaper. Your not paying for their fancy website and TV advertising. A lot of folks don't like Midsouth cause they say its hard to find stuff on their website. I agree but have started to just use the search function or have the catalog at the computer desk.

Midway does have excellent customer service and ships really quick but then again so does Midsouth.

Down South
03-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Midsouth Shooters is who I use most of the time. Like everyone else, I don't care for Midway's highway robbery shipping prices.

Storydude
03-25-2009, 07:37 AM
For those that do not have one yet, a C&R FFL gives you dealer pricing at all places mentioned int his thread...

Slinger
03-25-2009, 09:32 AM
I quit buying from Potterfield. He knocks a buck off an item and thinks he's giving you a deal. He also makes money on your shipping charges. He's worked hard to build the business and deserves to reap the rewards, but he's gone a bit too far, to the point of being greedy in my opinion.

Wayne S
03-25-2009, 09:44 AM
DON'T ever order anything that is put on back ordered from MidWay !! If you have only one item B/Oed because they WILL NOT notify you that your item is in so you can add to the order and save on S&H. They say their system isn't set up to do that YET they spam your e mail with every bigger and better deal they come up.

badgeredd
03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
IMHO, it seems that Midway is keeping their inventory down. I have noticed, especially in the last 9 months, that MANY things are not in stock...."back order ok". In my case, I usually get my order really quickly, if it is in stock from Midway. I hate the minimum being bumped up to $25, but I do understand the reality of business shipping. Midsouth could use a little better layout on their web page but I've become accustomed to it now so I usually don't have much of a problem with it. Graf's has a standard shipping cost which in some cases does save money, but their item pricing is higher too. Natchez Shooter supply doesn't have some items I look for and is about in the middle with customer service and shipping costs. SO.......I order from whoever has the best deal for me.
Not one dealer is the best on all items, in my opinion. Basically I consider it all a genuine PITA, when I have to order a single item!

If I could find a reasonably priced stocking dealer close to home, I'd just drive there. A LOT of "IFS" in my case.:-D:-D

Edd

klcarroll
03-25-2009, 10:02 AM

Hey! .......My AK groups really well!!! .......It hits Planet Earth every single time I pull the trigger![smilie=1:

Kent

Willbird
03-25-2009, 10:11 AM
I have never found midway to have the best regualr shipped price on ANYTHING. However now and then they ARE the only people who have an item I want in stock. Their online catalog works pretty good too.

Sometimes their "deals" are, sometimes they are no deal at all (WOW $.77 off a $15 item whooopEEE) hehe.

azrednek
03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
My pet peeve with Midway is their refusal to take advantage of the USPS flat rate boxes.

rockrat
03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Just order a couple of Lee moulds from Natchez. Also had them on order from F&M and Factory Sales. F&M said three weeks to ship, factory sales said 4 weeks, Natchez sent it out the day after I ordered. Maybe $1-2 extra, but I will have it a month earlier. Cancelled the other orders.

mike in co
03-25-2009, 10:48 AM
i like peeing on some peoples parades.

shipping is a cost to the seller. it is space in a facility, it is people, it is shipping materials and then there is the actual shipping costs. i cannot run a business if i only charge you the actual shipping costs, i must factor in the rest.( did you notice i DONT do online retail sales anymore??wonder why ?)
or i could add a "materials and handling" fee, and then just charge actual shipping.

i agree with most on the cost of stuff.

where midway shines for me, is that we are both on I70. i order on monday, rec on wed!

i dont order a lot, but the service( on in stock items) is great....and yes i use a dealer acct with them.

mike in co

Prairie Wolf
03-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I have a few items stored on my wish list, pending fundage.

I notice that Midsouth was actually cheaper on some items. Problem is, they don't list many of them. I can't save any money putting in an order to each place.

Jon K
03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Recluse,

Yeah, but Brownell's is even higher. I have also had good Customer Service from Midway. Midway back order...I usually tell them to charge my credit card now, then when the item comes in, it is automatically sent, MidSouth will do the same, it also avoids price increase.

Shop around, I always price MidSouth, Graf, Buffalo Arms, etc. before I order.

Graf shipping is cheap.........but, I am getting fed up with it, because everything comes signature required, even if the order is only $8, and if you're not there to sign for it..2 attempts to deliver, it gets shipped back, then, you can pay to ship again. And FedEx will not leave it, if you leave a note.

Just my $.02,
Jon

GrizzLeeBear
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Graf shipping is cheap.........but, I am getting fed up with it, because everything comes signature required, even if the order is only $8, and if you're not there to sign for it..2 attempts to deliver, it gets shipped back, then, you can pay to ship again. And FedEx will not leave it, if you leave a note.

Yeah, it makes it hard to sneak packages into the house if the wife has to sign for them, too. [smilie=1:

69daytona
03-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I have always had good luck and very quick deliveries from Midway, I have had 16lbs of powder on order from MidSouthfor 3 months and look like it will be another 3 weeks but thats the way things are going on every web site for powder and primers.

44man
03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Long ago Midway had free shipping but the prices were higher. No problem because there was a savings in the end. Now their shipping and handling can cost more then the items ordered.
In my opinion, there should be NO profit made on shipping, only costs covered. Expansion to have a larger shipping facility should come from profits of what is sold and not paid for by increasing shipping costs.
Another process that galls me to no end is to base shipping cost on money spent instead of weight. Buy a diamond ring that cost $5000 and pay shipping based on price when it actually costs a few dollars to send it including insurance. That stinking scale based on price needs a return envelope full of dog crap.
I will stick with Midsouth unless they do not have what I want.
Jerry's sporting goods also is a lot of crap. Need a dealers license for anything, even boot laces. I can see it for guns but imagine the money they could make if they just added a little to dealer prices and sold to the public.
Midway remembers my birthday and offers a discount that is beaten by Midsouth every day. Touchy-feely stuff where postage eats up any savings.
Yes I get stuff from them but I grit my teeth! [smilie=1:

mtgrs737
03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
IMHO, If Potterfield can't make a certain percentage of profit then he doesn't care if he get's your business or not. He is a "Big Dog" in the business now and he makes his own rules. Having said that, I will be getting a package in the mail today from Midway. They were the only ones that had the items I wanted, so I paid their price, but I don't have to like it!

Bladebu1
03-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I have spent around 1k thought Midway happy with there sevice then I hade close to 600$ in powder and primes on order with them a week later the call and say well we do not have this or this but we have this ? so I changed som things ( to get what they had) then 12 days later they call and just cancel the whole order Because the do not know if the will be able to get the Items things like Tight group Yeah right so I have been going to Graf and sons and i have been happy with them so far
about the same price and if they have it they send it then no excusses 2 weeks later
I have heard good things about midwouth too.

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I've always good luck with them. For the most part, If I decide I want a particular item and go online I can find it at midway or midsouth, or a fraction of suggested. For example I wanted some more Lee Breech Lock Bushings a while back, got them for $6 as compared to Lees suggested retail or $10. Anyways, I can usually find them, and the few times I haven't found them in stock were the times when it was junk I really didn't need anyways. Big difference between need and want.

And leave my blasted AK out of this. Not my fault you don't take the time, love, and care to build your own ;)

1Papalote
03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
That higher shipping costs are Midway's "fair and honest" shipping, as advertised when they made the change from prepaid (shipping included) orders some years ago. One could by a box of styrofoam peanuts from Midway and the shipping would still cost $10. I agree with most about MidSouth. I use them often.

1Papalote

Terrier
03-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Now that Midway has been kicked around a whole bunch, I hope we all feel better. The American way is for us to vote with our feet and money. If you have an issue with a business, take it else where. Just check out GM and Chrysler if you would like to see what" we the people" can do. I personally will continue to send my orders to Midway for the following reasons: pricing is in the ball park most of the time, shipping is a very real expense that must be covered, they have the products that I use, and they have given me the very best service of any online company that I have ever delt with. As far as being out of stock, no one wants to be backordered on any item. Check all of the online companies for the Lee mold of you choice and see what the current status is. If you don't have it you won't sell it, and they are all in the business of making money. (selling us all the neat stuff so we can play more is the way they make money)
Terrier:-D

P.S. Midway just got in a shippment of Lee 6 cavity 38 molds.

jack19512
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I just don't have the time to complain, I'm too busy cherishing the thought that I can still do all of this, shoot, reload, hunt. etc...etc... [smilie=1:

FN in MT
03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I like Brownells for gun/cleaning items. But on bigger stuff like scopes, firearms, I use a buddies FFL and order from one of the large distributors. Few years back when I started casting again I was able to pickup all three of the 4 cav Lymans I needed at wholesale.

I never thought Midway was remotely a bargain so have always used Grafs or Mid-South.

FN in MT

StarMetal
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Here's how it is for me. I noticed Midway's dealer price is most the time an insignificant different, and other times the same price as a non licensee. They use to be fast, but we have to take into consideration that everyone in the firearms business is pretty much backed up from the buying craze going on. My best friend lives in CO and he just got some statistics for one month of instance checks calls and it was 40,000 new buyers!!! It went from a 30 second call to 2-3 hrs now. Grafs and Midway both raised their minimum or order rate. Figure too that all package carriers raised their shipping charges too. I don't buy from Natchez because they won't sell to in same state residents and they don't honor a C&R. I don't buy from Midsouth because they charge me TN sales tax and shipping, so it's not cheap for me as you out of state people. What I do is buy from Widners, even though they charge TN sales tax, but I'm right there and don't have to pay shipping. Often Widener's prices are just about at dealer. I can't recall much of anything being full retail. We all get mad at things and people, but if there wasn't a Grafs, Midway, Midsouth, Natchez, or Wideners, what would you all do then. I happy they exist. If you want to complain about stuff complain about the cost of gasoline, how 3 pounds of coffee isn't 3 pounds, and 1/2 gallon of ice cream isn't 1/2 gallon.....but the cost is still the same.

Joe

Shiloh
03-25-2009, 02:54 PM
More often than not Midway has everything I need. That is or was, until about late January. Now with everybody back ordering items, I'm glad I foresaw this and acquired what I needed. To order a few things here, there, and the other place, really adds up shipping fees. Midway, Midsouth, and Natchez are the go to vendors.

Shiloh

MT Chambers
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
While it may not mean much to most on this site, Midway really ticks us Canadians off!!! They got caught shipping scopes to Canada by the US Feds. and were fined, now they won't send anything to Canada. Instead of looking at the rules and only sending legal items, they just cut it all out. Well they are losing alot of sales as we are ordering and getting good service from Midsouth, Grafs, Buffalo Arms, Natchez, all are great to deal with,I say "to hell with Midway".

ihuntbuck
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
midway is great in my book.. if you order just one item the shipping is a killer the key is to order multiple things. to split the shipping and since i too live on I-70 i get 1-2 day shipping on the cheapest method available..also it pays to set up an account the just had a st. patty's day sale and i saved enough to get two boxes of bullets for my ar-15 for free. last year they sent me the same discounts for my birthday and my wifes witch is next month so i will have to make another wish list...

GSPKurt
03-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I rarely, if ever, go to Midway's site anymore. F&M quoted me 3 weeks on 2 Lee items, and I got 'em in 7 weeks. It's MidSouth for 95% of my online stuff now.

Willbird
03-25-2009, 03:21 PM
IMHO, If Potterfield can't make a certain percentage of profit then he doesn't care if he get's your business or not. He is a "Big Dog" in the business now and he makes his own rules. Having said that, I will be getting a package in the mail today from Midway. They were the only ones that had the items I wanted, so I paid their price, but I don't have to like it!

He does ads on the show called "Best Defense" on the outdoors channel, he always says "I'm Larry Potterfield, thanks for your business" I always imagine him saying "Thanks for your money" hehe

Shipping is a scam anyway you look at it, even IF they say they just charge you UPS ground, they get a DEEP DEEP discount, maybe as much as 50%, and some outfits like MSC split ship from 4 locations and REALLY piledrive you on the shipping. I used to order a lot of tooling one place I worked, and the shipping dunce would send no lie SIX little 6x6 boxes ups ground, each one having one or 2 pcd inserts in it, another might have 20 little tiny screws. I finally had the salesman just drop the stuff off once a week, the company was only 20 miles away.

Bill

BowHunter252
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Midway's shipping prices usually seem good to me. Last week the shipping on 1 AR magazine was only $3. I ordered a lee mold and 10 AR mags, and they were at my door the next day!

shickf3
03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
I just had my first encounter with midway. I have had a lee .401 mold and sizer in my cart for awhile waiting for the mold to be available. It became available today I went to place the order and it said the lee sizer is now back ordered and the shipping on my mold would be 13.00 and when the sizer came they would charge me 8.50 to ship that. 13.00 dollars is more then enough to ship to separate packages. needless to say I didnt finish my order.

Heavy lead
03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
You can complain about Midway all you want to about this backorder mess situation, but the fact is Graf's, Midsouth, Natchez and the rest of them are all going through this problem right now. And they all will charge to ship extra, even Graf's with the "shipping included" still gets you with the handling fee. We may never see warehouses stocked the way they were the economy being what it is. Myself what I see coming is the small time operator, such as Mountain Moulds, and some here who make sizing dies and such taking a huge market share. Look at the group buy with Mihec, if these moulds turn out well as I'm sure they will this guy and guys like him will take over the market period. Suppliers, warehouses and retailers are too scared to stock anything at this point, and I don't blame them. If there are guys out there with talent and machinery that are willing to make a living and a fair wage doing it they can make it now.

Capn Jack
03-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey, I love this...:-D

I'm finding out about places I didn't even know exhisted.:drinks:
I do a lot of ordering from Midway and like people say,"The shipping SUCKS!" it's a long way to WA. from anywhere else. What really burns me though, is when they Split" a back order and you end up paying double the minimum shipping.:twisted:

oneokie
03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey, I love this...:-D

I'm finding out about places I didn't even know exhisted.:drinks:

Too late now. WE will help you spend your money. You have crossed over, and there is no turning back.

We are enablers, one and all.

Capn Jack
03-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I know, I know...[smilie=1:

And according to my Leftist sister in Cauliphornia, "I'm a Gun Crazy Closet Raceist whose brain has rotted out from watching too much FOX T.V." "Praise O'Bummer" :twisted: Oh almost forgot...I also contribute to civil unrest in Mexico and Iraq.
I didn't realized what a bad guy I've become.:Fire: Must be the Sites I hang out on.:twisted:

Gee_Wizz01
03-25-2009, 07:16 PM
I order a lot stuff from Midway, because they seem to have what I want in stock more often than the other suppliers; however, I also order from Midsouth, Grafs, Weidners and Natchez. I want to keep all of these places open and doing business. I remember the days when I bought my supplies at the local gun shop, and I paid retail or higher on everything. I recently received a customer service survey from Midway, and I complained about the shipping policies and the out of stock conditions and the policy of charging a second shipping charge on back orders. I was surprised when I received a reply. The reply defended there policies and also clarified the back order policies. I thought that if I placed an order for several back ordered items I would be charged the minimum $9.00 shipping charges on each item as they came in, but they stated I would only be charged once. I just ordered a number of back ordered items, so I will find out soon. The one thing that keeps me coming back to Midway is they have outstanding customer service. Recently I received an order that was damaged in route. I made one call to their customer service and had a new item on my door step 36 hours later.

G

skeet1
03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I have ordered several times recently at Lock, Stock and Barrel and have been very pleased with the outcome. Grag's have free shipping but do have a service charge and I have found that even paying shipping with L,S and B the cost was less and the service was good.

Skeet1

Char-Gar
03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Recluse... Let me see if I got this right. You are spun up because you had to buy something from Midway at a price you didn't like. You are upset at somebody else, because of a choice you made? Humm.. my Grandad would have something to say about folks who blamed others for their choices. I best let that one alone!

remy3424
03-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Plus 1 to Chargar's take...Order your stuff elsewhere...MW has always treated me fair.

zdogk9
03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey! .......My AK groups really well!!! .......It hits Planet Earth every single time I pull the trigger![smilie=1:

Kent

I got a Mini 14 like that:smile:

jnovotny
03-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I LIKE MIDWAY USA!!!!! Now that I got that off my chest, diddo on what Chargar said.

troy_mclure
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
i ordered some stuff from midsouth, and cabelas the same day. i ordered some stuff from midway 2 days later. i got the midway stuff 2 days ago, the cabellas stuff yesterday, still waiting on the midsouth stuff.

BCall
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
i ordered some stuff from midsouth, and cabelas the same day. i ordered some stuff from midway 2 days later. i got the midway stuff 2 days ago, the cabellas stuff yesterday, still waiting on the midsouth stuff.

I had the exact opposite experience. i ordered from Midway and Midsouth on the same day, and even though I live in different states from Midsouth, and only about an hour away from Midway, i got my Midsouth order 2 days before I got mine from Midway. Dealers can't control shipping lanes, and some times things take longer to get there depending on which direction they ship something. Many times, ordering form the east coast, items go right by me to Kansas City, before coming back to me. Seems strange, but it is the way things work.

Luckily, I live only about an hour away from Midway and Grafs, and now that Midway allows pickup, I can save shipping on pretty much everything I need. I just order a day before I have to go that direction, and do a pickup on the way. Billy

Gerry N.
03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
I've been buying from Midway for about thirty years it seems, and have yet to be disappointed. I've gotten split backorders a time or two and was charged only the quoted shipping fee. Since I too, live in the People's Soviet of Washington, Puget Sound Sector I buy online not only for the lower price, but to avoid the extortionate sales tax. I mail ordered in the past, then by fax, then over the phone. Now I order exclusively online as they keep the online catalog updated quite well. Midsouth is nearly as good with Graf's a very close third. All are better than buying locally.

Gerry N.

Recluse
03-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Recluse... Let me see if I got this right. You are spun up because you had to buy something from Midway at a price you didn't like. You are upset at somebody else, because of a choice you made? Humm.. my Grandad would have something to say about folks who blamed others for their choices. I best let that one alone!

Sorry Chargar, but it's often like voting in a political election. Unfortunately, we have to have a president, but more often than not, we get two absolutely sorry choices and we vote for the lesser of two evils.

Midway had something, finally, that I'd been waiting on for quite some time--with them as well as a few other outfits, who are smaller. The bigger outfits, and Midway is the biggest of all, get first shot and first shipments from the manufacturers. Therefore--am I going too fast for you at this point?--if you want something that is already limited in production, you are going to be limited where you can buy it.

There is always the choice of just saying to hell with it, and not buying it--and I've done that on occasion as well.

Midway got the item in, I ordered it and paid for it and then paid the shipping. I paid a bit over $15 for shipping. While knowing that Midway has always jacked up their shipping rates and ACCEPTING that if you do biz with Potterfield, that is going to happen, I paid the shipping.

Then I checked with UPS today to see what reverse shipping charges would be from my house to Midway's receiving dock.

Under $7. That's over a 100% markup coming out of Columbia--not even including the corporate account discount they get for bulk/volume business.

What I'm "spun" about is when there is near-monopolization on certain items and brands for which there are no substitutes, and you have no choice but to get gouged, yeah, I'm gonna be a little ticked about.

And bottom line, with all due respect to your grandad, when it's my money, I'll damned well get "spun" all I want--especially when I'm more than old enough to remember when Midway wasn't that way at all.

I also voted for Bush, but I got "spun" a number of times with stunts he pulled. But I voted, and that gives me the right to get ticked off with things he did. I had a choice--I could have voted for the Vietnam Swiftboat Fraud. So should I have just been "happy" with everything W did since "I had a choice?"

I paid money to Midway because few folks otherwise carry what I've been looking for. Per the manufacturer, Midway gets first shot and often times there isn't enough product left over to fill the other (smaller) distributors' orders. So that basically leaves Midway as "being it."

So yeah, I'll well gripe about it. Anytime I want.

jack19512
03-26-2009, 08:10 AM
So, do you feel better now. :?:

Willbird
03-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Just remember Recluse "I'm Larry Potterfield, thanks for your money". As a mfg it must be tough to deal with them because they order in a TON of stuff, then DUMP it at probably cost if it is not a fast mover. This I imagine must torque off all of a mfg. OTHER customers.

Bill

Gohon
03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
#1, Midway offers several types of shipping charges. Want it in your hands the next day, you pay extra.

#2, Midway probable has a overhead many times the size of smaller companies because they carry everything one wants, not just a few select item. They have to pay for providing that service some way.

#3, Just like there are more than two mail order companies there were several people in several parties running for President. You had a choice unlike most countries. Same for ordering on line....there is a choice.

But, I guess just like congress now wanting to tell companies how much they can pay their employees and how to run their businesses we should all feel like we can tell Potterfield how to run his business and how much money he is allowed to make. :violin:

j20owner
03-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Hehe, I placed an order with Midway around 1:30am Wednesday morning, and it's already 'out for delivery'.

alamogunr
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
:violin:

Love the violin!

Going back to Starmetal's reply. As a resident of Tennessee, I can't order from Natchez. They are protecting their retail customers. Also, if I order from Mid South, I pay 9.75% sales tax in addition to shipping. The same applies to Widener's, except I can't walk in and pick up. Even though I am in Tennessee, I'm still 400 miles from them. I do order from Mid South because, if it is in stock, I get it quickly. Graf is my preferred source but they are out of all the brass (for milsurps) that I need right now. All that said, the last time I ordered anything, I got Sack-Ups from MidWay. They had them on sale and everything considered the total wasn't too bad. I needed them for some of my better long guns to protect them in the safe. I don't order powder or primers from any of the above. Those I get from Powder Valley. Excellent service and one hazmat charge for up to 48 lbs combined powder & primers. Midway makes you split powder & primers and pay hazmat on both.

I can remember when, depending on where you lived, you had to drive 50+ miles to find anything you needed for reloading. Things are much better now. Also we still have the freedom to complain. I wonder how long that will last under the present administration.

angus6
03-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Here's larry's response to a request for USPS flat rate shipping from another board

Originally Posted By tojan19:
I got a reply from Midway's President. Thought I'd share.

We are working on the programming that will make this possible. Basically, we have to measure everything we carry, then with this program it will tell us if all the items on your order would fit in the flat rate box. If they would, it would offer this shipping option on the website and when you place orders over the phone. We have a computer controlled conveyor system in the warehouse, and while it enables us to ship quickly it was frankly not very flexible in terms of offering a flat rate service like this. Basically, years ago when it was designed we didn’t have the foresight to anticipate anyone would offer a flat rate service and now we are looking at a massive programming change to make this a viable shipping method. I apologize it is taking so long, and appreciate your patience during the upgrade. I never seem to have enough time to spend on the forums, ....snip
Thanks For Your Business,

Larry Potterfield
President/CEO
MidwayUSA
NRA Benefactor Member

Andrew Quigley
03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
For me I don't mind a couple of bucks extra on my order as Midway sponsors Wednesday night at the range on the Outdoor Channel. Several great shooting shows on every Wed nite that I make a point to watch. Only nite I really sit down and watch tv.
A buck or two ain't gonna make or break me, yet, and I've had nuttin but good luck with them.

robertbank
03-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Dumb me. I should bone up on my reading skills!

Take Care

Bob

mike in co
03-26-2009, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=alamogunr;530293] Midway makes you split powder & primers and pay hazmat on both.

IQUOTE]

the reason midway has two seperate charges on hazmat/shipping on powder plus anything else is the powder is not shipped from thier warehouse, but from the manufacture......

mike in co

LqChrome
03-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Yea azrednek the USPS "shoe box' size flat rate container goes for $8.95 up to 70 lbs!!I recieved 2000 45 acp bullets in one. I can't understand why more companys don't use them.

Char-Gar
03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Recluse... Of course you can complain about Midway or anbody else you wish. There are plenty of folks who get up in the morning with a complaint on their lips and go to bed unhappy about somebody or something. It just seems to me the time could be better spent. Being unhappy, like being happy is a choice we make in life. I fully support your right to fuss about Midway or anybody else, including me, on this board or anywhere else. Knock yourself out!