PDA

View Full Version : .45ACP/AR Chamber Dimensions

theperfessor
03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm working with two of my senior students building a Universal Receiver for pressure testing. Have purchased an unchambered .451 Shilen pistol barrel blank and want to chamber it to .45ACP/AR. Plan to test this cartridge w/heavy-for-cartridge cast bullet loads, i.e. loads with 250-270 gr boolits for potential revolver use.

Does anybody have a drawing for SAAMI spec chamber dimensions for this cartridge? Or can you refer me to a source for same?

If necessary I can make the appropriate tooling/chamber reamer for what is essentially a straight wall case, and I'd like to cut chamber size and throat angle/dimensions to standard specs. I want to avoid any further unnecessary expense and I can also use this as way to teach students a little more about making/heat-treating special tooling.

Of course, if someone has a chamber reamer they would be willing to loan out for this educational project I would be glad to give my word on guaranteeing it's proper use and safe return.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If project works out I will certainly share results here. Thanks in advance for your help.

scrapcan
03-24-2009, 02:22 PM
There is a thread on kynoch drawings and Andrew375 responded with links to a set of drawings.

here is the thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=39380&highlight=cartridge+specifications

Scroll down an there are links to 5 tables of drawings. Maybe the ones you need are in table 4. the dimensions are in mm, but that should not be a problem as these are students right? we all need a little unit nonversion practice.

theperfessor
03-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Thank you very much! The drawings in Table IV were exactly what I was looking for.

scrapcan
03-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Now you have to post pictures of your project. I enjoy looking at one can do with the proper tools, knowledge, and motivation.

theperfessor
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Will gladly post pics when done w/project. What makes it interesting is that we are designing it so we can test pressure using three different methods, one method of which involves some fairly new transducer technology that we don't believe has been applied to this type of testing before. Don't want to say more right now, it may not work out and/or it may work and still be too expensive to be practical.